Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Jul 2006, 06:06 (Ref:1658815)   #1
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...Prodrive...Toyota joint venture.......

Prodrive and Toyota have formed a joint venture in Australia for Prodrive to manufacture/produce Toyota Racing Development Cars (for road use)....(no link)

How far away from a Toyota v8 Supercar by Prodrive are we.?

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 18 Jul 2006, 06:12 (Ref:1658821)   #2
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
Prodrive and Toyota have formed a joint venture in Australia for Prodrive to manufacture/produce Toyota Racing Development Cars (for road use)....(no link)

THere is a link

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/car-review/1884207.aspx
Old 18 Jul 2006, 06:36 (Ref:1658832)   #3
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
M-Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
mmm they could start next year. Untill a V8 Aurion comes online, they could re-badge old commodore V8's at Lexens!.............
Old 18 Jul 2006, 07:08 (Ref:1658847)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:

Anyone remember a previous suggestion by yours truly that prodrive was moving towards Toyota?? Discussed more than a year ago!! Amazing...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 18 Jul 2006, 08:50 (Ref:1658919)   #5
Sparklehorse
Racer

Australia-Aboriginal
Perth
Sparklehorse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Anyone remember a previous suggestion by yours truly that prodrive was moving towards Toyota?? Discussed more than a year ago!! Amazing...

yes GTR i remember this.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 07:39 (Ref:1658866)   #6
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will this have any effect on Neal Bates Motorsport?
Old 18 Jul 2006, 08:19 (Ref:1658888)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
Will this have any effect on Neal Bates Motorsport?
The original pitch had prodrive running the rally arm of the Toyota operation as well... quite how that would work with the prodrive Toyota versus the prodrive Subaru (and possibly the TWPG Lancers as well) was not clear.

I just hope NBM coming 1-2 in the series, winning the manufacturers and drivers titles, and pretty much smashing the field at most rallies is enough for the mob from Altona.... methinks it isnt somehow
Old 18 Jul 2006, 14:10 (Ref:1659147)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The original pitch had prodrive running the rally arm of the Toyota operation as well... quite how that would work with the prodrive Toyota versus the prodrive Subaru (and possibly the TWPG Lancers as well) was not clear.

I just hope NBM coming 1-2 in the series, winning the manufacturers and drivers titles, and pretty much smashing the field at most rallies is enough for the mob from Altona.... methinks it isnt somehow
Isn't Toyota a Subaru shareholder since last year? If I remember well they bought the Subaru shares from GM.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 09:14 (Ref:1658940)   #9
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prodrive already have a team in the V8s I wonder how hard it would be to make one of their BAs look like a fridge, oops I mean Toymotor.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1658980)   #10
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Prodrive already have a team in the V8s I wonder how hard it would be to make one of their BAs look like a fridge, oops I mean Toymotor.
I am wondering how they will pull it off with interests in FPR, Britek and TKR in a support role and potentially two Toyotas. Doesnt any new entrant have to support 6 cars?
Old 18 Jul 2006, 10:14 (Ref:1658986)   #11
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This story was reported in last FRIDAY Sydney Dailey Telegraph.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 18 Jul 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1659452)   #12
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
oops I mean Toymotor.
Pronunciation! It's Toy Yoda.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1658961)   #13
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Probably about as far away as we are from seeing a Subaru or Aston Martin V8Supercar by Prodrive...........
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 10:01 (Ref:1658974)   #14
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm an Aston Martin V8 Supercar - now THAT'S an exciting thought.....
Old 18 Jul 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1658990)   #15
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
zzzzzzzzzzz
Old 18 Jul 2006, 17:00 (Ref:1659277)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport organisations tieing up with different manufacturers in the same region has happened before, for example in the mid-80s when TWR ran works Jaguars and works Rovers in European Group A racing at the same time (though Jaguar and Rover were linked of course)

A better example is in the late-90s, Ray Mallock Ltd ran the works Nissan's in the British Touring Car Championship, and at the same ran the works Vauxhall Astra's in the British Rally Championship (the works Vauxhall's in the BTCC of course being run, as know, by 888).

It wouldn't really have any effect on the V8 side of things i wouldn't think, Prodrive own Ford Performance Vehicles after all.

A Toyota/Prodrive rally team isn't impossible, though the ARC seems to be heading into very troubled times (the loss of Rally Australia could have the same effect on Australian Rallying as happened when we lost the Southern Cross Rally in the early 80s), it's not exactly hot property at the moment.

Last edited by racer69; 18 Jul 2006 at 17:04.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 20:43 (Ref:1659441)   #17
Aquarius
Racer

Aquarius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota V8 Supercar

sorry

not trying to be cynical
Old 19 Jul 2006, 00:01 (Ref:1659573)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Interestingly prodrive has previously done work for Mazda (as part of the Ford family...) fitting turbo kits to Mx5's and Rx8's as part of the 'SP' projects.

I wonder if this shall stop.

Doesnt prodrive own 51% of FPV... such that Ford might benefit from doing work for Toyota?
Old 19 Jul 2006, 03:35 (Ref:1659651)   #19
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Interestingly prodrive has previously done work for Mazda (as part of the Ford family...) fitting turbo kits to Mx5's and Rx8's as part of the 'SP' projects.

I wonder if this shall stop.

Doesnt prodrive own 51% of FPV... such that Ford might benefit from doing work for Toyota?
I dont think Prodrive have gone to Toyota for those reasons at all. If anything Prodrive will help Toyota more than they will Ford with the annoucement they made two weeks ago.

Plus if anything the main Ford model that would benefit will be its Ute and not its FPV performance vehicles (that includes 'those' Utes).

Prodrive does own FPV (51% as you said) but that doesn't mean it's a Ford company.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 01:53 (Ref:1660434)   #20
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The FPV side of Prodrive and the TRD operation will be run by entirely separate parts of the business.

TRD will have two outfits in Australia - TRD road vehicles in Victoria, and TRD motorsport in Canberra (Neal Bates Motorsport).

The Prodrive link is purely about assembling the road vehicles. They will have nothing to do with their development and Toyota will hold all intellectual property - but Prodrive will look after the facility and assembly.

As for the health of the ARC - there are some very interesting measures in the pipeline for the series in the coming year. Stay tuned .....
Old 20 Jul 2006, 02:56 (Ref:1660456)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
As for the health of the ARC - there are some very interesting measures in the pipeline for the series in the coming year. Stay tuned .....
I really hope so, if something isn't done we are on the verge of heading into a modern day version of the 'Group G' saga of the mid-80s.........
Old 20 Jul 2006, 03:25 (Ref:1660476)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
I really hope so, if something isn't done we are on the verge of heading into a modern day version of the 'Group G' saga of the mid-80s.........
Its already that now... bleat and moan loud enough and woo hoo you get a centre diff upgrade, and different turbo manifolds and dump pipes....

Meantime the Subaru Group-N spec car is still more than competitive... and so would the Lancer if it had someone as nutso (in the nicest possible way!) as Simon Evans aboard
Old 20 Jul 2006, 03:53 (Ref:1660486)   #23
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Its already that now... bleat and moan loud enough and woo hoo you get a centre diff upgrade, and different turbo manifolds and dump pipes....
The upgrades that the Corollas received were purely about bringing the cars up to date from the 1996 Celica GT4 that they were based on.

While the Subarus and Mitsubishis had the latest gear - the Toyotas were using decade-old spec equipment.

Quote:
Meantime the Subaru Group-N spec car is still more than competitive... and so would the Lancer if it had someone as nutso (in the nicest possible way!) as Simon Evans aboard
Exactly. There is no concrete evidence that the EVO or the WRX is any slower than the Toyotas. Pedder is often as quick as Evans (but doesn't finish as often), while Herridge made good use of his more "user-friendly" spec Impreza in Tassie.

As for Prodrive taking over the Toyota rally operation - there is no organisation in the country that could build a better rally car than Neal Bates Motorsport.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 05:50 (Ref:1660514)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
As for Prodrive taking over the Toyota rally operation - there is no organisation in the country that could build a better rally car than Neal Bates Motorsport.
How about the geniuses (genii?) that thought a RWD bitza Focus was the path to rallying success?? Three monumental rear end failures, and countless test days still make it as slow as a wet week...
Old 12 Jan 2017, 05:55 (Ref:3701967)   #25
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
11 years and counting