Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 26 Jul 2004, 21:56 (Ref:1048249)   #1
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting the people in.....

Whilst I believe we have some of the best racing at Oulton Park from year to year, the problem we have is nobody knows about it (yes, this old chestnut).

I have just had an evening watching the Speedway down at Belle Vue in Manchester and what a great night. The track action was opkay, but it was the all round package that made it.

I took my 4 year old daughter with me and she wanted a drink. We nipped to the cafe to get her one and guess what, orange cordial etc was free to kids. They played good atmosphere music between heats and the guy on the mike really got the crowd going.

what would a few litres of diluted orange be to the circuits and a bit of music between races.

The difference was they catered for the FAMILY.

I willing to bet there was aas many people there tonight at a small Speedway track as there is on a Saturday race day at Oulton.

Mr Palmer needs to get his finger out sharpish if he wants to get people through the gate.

As good as the racing is, the man in the stand won't come if they can't entertain his family.

Beef for the night.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 22:09 (Ref:1048265)   #2
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was the beef free as well?

In fairness to JP, I have noticed bits of coverage in my local media lately, so it looks like the Andy Bothwell Press Machine is starting to achieve.

As a matter of interest, I wonder how many drivers actually let their local media know what they are doing, going to do, or have done. I'm sure nowhere near as many as we all might think.

Feed the hacks the info ammunition and they might fire it.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1048276)   #3
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
I have set up a Motorsport section on our Intranet site at work. Covering everything from what a Formula Ford is, to how to get to the circuits. It includes post race reports and what is racing at the circuit on a given day. It was that easy.

You wouldn't believe the feed back. Loads of people have since been to the circuit and enjoyed it. The main complaint though, was when they take the kids, how expensive it can be. Drinks, ice-creams, burgers, chips etc. Many have said they won't buy the food now and take packed lunches. The other issue was one of keeping the kids happy though. with short attention spans, they need stimulating and there is nothing for kids to do once they are there.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 23:56 (Ref:1048337)   #4
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anglesey has a playground which is a great idea, cuz as walshy says kids have short attention spans (however play equipment is ace fun no matter how old you are)i have a 6 year old sister and when she comes to oulton with my parents its hard keeping her entertained.

the food is frightfully expensive at oulton its a joke, and tbh its absolutely awful as well, i just usualy take food with me, strangely tho the bar is reasonably priced.

i remember the donut vans as a kid, they just dont taste the same any more

the track and paddock facilities may have improved but the facilities for spectators aint that good, ok so the old blue dangerous stands were aweful but they provided a great place to watch at nickerbrook, and the old toilet blocks had a certain campsite esque feel to them.

Last edited by GolddustMini; 26 Jul 2004 at 23:59.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 01:51 (Ref:1048371)   #5
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Walshy
with short attention spans, they need stimulating and there is nothing for kids to do once they are there.
So they run around screaming and generally annoying the race-goers... at least, that's what happens at Knockhill

I'm personally of the opinion that the racing circuit is no place for kids, especially when they aren't interested as they tend to just generally get under the feet of the people there for the racing - laying on playparks and so on sounds like a good plan, a creche type thing would be even better - parents get to watch the racing and the kids can be amused by something.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 13:30 (Ref:1048767)   #6
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion circuits need to provide staffed play areas for children so that parents can enjoy the racing and children aren't bored and fractious. I can remember when I was young being taken to watch my parents play tennis; I was bored rigid and put off tennis for life.

In my opinion there needs to be two play areas, both supervised, one for outdoor activities and an indoor drop in computer centre/internet café.

Old 27 Jul 2004, 13:54 (Ref:1048788)   #7
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by KayBee
In my opinion there needs to be two play areas, both supervised, one for outdoor activities and an indoor drop in computer centre/internet café.
What about a third one for T Car and FBMW drivers and the like? Little 's that they are.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 14:06 (Ref:1048799)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by diz
What about a third one for T Car and FBMW drivers and the like?
FF drivers, of course (or do I mean off course) already have their little sand pit at Druids.....
Old 27 Jul 2004, 15:19 (Ref:1048858)   #9
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Avoid me on Saturday Brandy. I don't take kindly to my boys and girls being dug at [even if you lot have to dig them out of your sand pits]. , but suitably
Old 27 Jul 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1048892)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by diz
I don't take kindly to my boys and girls being dug at [even if you lot have to dig them out of your sand pits].
I tells 'em as I sees 'em!
Old 27 Jul 2004, 16:07 (Ref:1048919)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
would this be better in national & club?
Old 27 Jul 2004, 16:28 (Ref:1048949)   #12
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope to keep out of all the sand pits on friday and saturday. By the way foreversideways may be pensioned off in favour of a new alias. There are to many people going sideways on ten tenths
Old 27 Jul 2004, 20:21 (Ref:1049164)   #13
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Quote:
Originally posted by Knockhill Fan
So they run around screaming and generally annoying the race-goers... at least, that's what happens at Knockhill

I'm personally of the opinion that the racing circuit is no place for kids, especially when they aren't interested as they tend to just generally get under the feet of the people there for the racing - laying on playparks and so on sounds like a good plan, a creche type thing would be even better - parents get to watch the racing and the kids can be amused by something.
I know what you mean, but I can't agree with you. The circuits should be a place for families to enjoy a day out together. But if the kids don't want to watch all the racing or start getting a bit bored, they should have other options.

At Oulton, Radio Stoke ran a family day which was well received with fair rides and stalls. There's nothing to stop that happening on a regular basis.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 20:36 (Ref:1049179)   #14
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
Quote:
Originally posted by Walshy
I know what you mean, but I can't agree with you. The circuits should be a place for families to enjoy a day out together. But if the kids don't want to watch all the racing or start getting a bit bored, they should have other options.
I understand where you are coming from - my comments are simply made from the standpoint of a non-family man who isn't much of a fan of errant kids.

If something was done at the tracks to cater to families in order that the kids didn't get bored and restless then I'm sure we'd all be happy as the families would have plenty to do and the rest of us wouldn't have to put up with the kids!

Last edited by MikeH; 27 Jul 2004 at 20:37.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 20:37 (Ref:1049180)   #15
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
would this be better in national & club?
Yes.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 00:04 (Ref:1049348)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
actually, while ian's on holiday i think it's interesting to get this perspective on things. the subjects already been discussed to death in national and club. there's been some interesting ideas from a different perspective in this forum.

when ian comes back he may choose to move the topic, but as it goes i think it's fine here thanks
Old 28 Jul 2004, 00:39 (Ref:1049357)   #17
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
Ok, hadn't seen this discussion elsewhere so wasn't aware of that.
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 20:28 (Ref:1050270)   #18
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Go girl.

Us Clubbies always have a different perspective!!!!!!!
Old 28 Jul 2004, 23:32 (Ref:1050433)   #19
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeh and it usually involves pie stalls
Old 29 Jul 2004, 02:52 (Ref:1050478)   #20
blue nose
Veteran

blue nose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on lads leave Hackett alone.....
Old 30 Jul 2004, 10:32 (Ref:1051820)   #21
Dippy1
Rookie

Dippy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by diz
As a matter of interest, I wonder how many drivers actually let their local media know what they are doing, going to do, or have done. I'm sure nowhere near as many as we all might think.
Isn't Mr swift a journalist on a local rag in Stoke?