Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 2 May 2013, 11:31 (Ref:3241702)   #1
JohnnyFiama
Racer

JohnnyFiama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
500cc documentary

If you live in the UK then don't miss this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMQI6lmuXvQ

The Unrideables - ITV4 – 9pm – May 8th
Old 2 May 2013, 17:39 (Ref:3241831)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Awesome, thanks for this, I would have never known

Forget Marquez, Stoner and Rossi, these guys will always be the greatest ever in my mind, maybe only surpassed by the likes of Hailwood, Surtees, Duke and Ago on treaded tyres and drum brakes!!
Old 2 May 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3241857)   #3
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Already set Sky+ so I don't miss it, so miss 2 strokes
Old 3 May 2013, 08:04 (Ref:3242008)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah the good old days - today really doesn't compare... Will keep my eye open for that when it hits my shores...
Old 4 May 2013, 06:45 (Ref:3242491)   #5
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geez, Niall Mackenzie has lived a hard life! Who was the bloke at 0:51? Everytime I see footage of the 91 German GP, I smile That was great. You know, when you think about it, for the bikes to have such a bad reputation (as in not rider friendly) they'd have to be poorly engineered bikes. Anyone agree?
Old 4 May 2013, 07:46 (Ref:3242521)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not really no, they were trying to cope with two stroke tech which is very difficult to tame

A few of the bikes were poorly engineered yes, the 89 NSR being one, but Kanemoto and Lawson engineered their way to a title. But most them were simply trying to harness huge switchblade power into a basic chassis and very poor tyres.

The basic deal is that to get competitive power you had to have a narrow power band (Honda combatted this eventually with bigbang system,) and this rapidly got huge power before the tyres were able to cope.

So you had two tyre brands Dunlop and Michelin. Dunnies were more forgiving but had less grip and Michies had more grip in less places but the Michie highside flick was a real issue, ie less forgiving.

So, imagine poorish tyres, huge power, and a machine that doesn't want to turn, the suspension only really works when the bike is upright not leant over.

That is why you had amazing riding, not necessarily racing, a development of a new style of riding with spinning the rear, and then the development of bikes that allowed corner speed to come back to the fore.

Rossi is really the only current guy who raced 2 strokes, and if you asked him now, he would change back to them tomorrow, he hates 4 strokes, Good man!

Imagine, in the early 80's you had maybe 130 hp no spin, 4 years later you had 160, 4 riders who hated each other and radical development. This is why THIS was the golden age.

Thank God I saw it
Old 6 May 2013, 06:55 (Ref:3243383)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
When the 2002 rules for GP bikes were released allowing 990cc and multiple cylinders I remember the "Drysdale V8" that was going to be the bees knees, whatever happened to it ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 May 2013, 12:34 (Ref:3243526)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
There was also9 the Blata V6 that WCM and Ellison etc was going to ride

A firm that had only ever made Minimoto engines making a V6 GP unit! Lol I don't think so
Old 8 May 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3244508)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The Unrideables - ITV4 – 9pm – May 8th
Brilliant, can't wait for more !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 May 2013, 10:43 (Ref:3248807)   #10
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's on in Oz tonite, 9pm on Speed, Foxtel... Got it on record as that is too late for me!
Old 20 May 2013, 19:07 (Ref:3250727)   #11
Hunter1300
Racer

Hunter1300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only just managed to catch this. Very impressive coverage.