Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Sep 2011, 02:46 (Ref:2955228)   #26
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With respect to the Safety Truck it was an extremely bad look to the general public let alone the majority of us here who understand what goes on at events.

Interesting that the driver of said truck has had the entire blame pinned on him according to media reports.

Scape goat perhaps??
Old 14 Sep 2011, 05:35 (Ref:2955249)   #27
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
With respect to the Safety Truck it was an extremely bad look to the general public let alone the majority of us here who understand what goes on at events.

Interesting that the driver of said truck has had the entire blame pinned on him according to media reports.

Scape goat perhaps??
Or maybe he was actually in the wrong....
Old 14 Sep 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2955393)   #28
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble View Post
imagine this place yourself in that truck doing your job for the day, youre out after an incident, then suddenly you here the faint roar of 20+ indy cars going full blast racing speed and a radio call, if somebody bothered, the SC has buggered off, you think oh **** then try and make an exit, as youre making it to the escape road you see 20+ cars coming towards you. ive seen that happen plenty of times with marshals still on track on the sighting lap, sometimes narrowly getting back on post in time, sometimes standing on the inside which is fairly safe but accidents still happen as we know. this wasnt the odd stray marshal this was a big american pickup trucks which cant get out of the way as much or anywhere near as fast as marshals... easy done isnt it

he was out for a reason, doesnt matter what anyone says this may happen in this country one day, we've got to learn from this and side with him/her not presume theyre in the wrong

he knows exactly what to do when he goes out, that's why he's done that job probably many times before, if he wasnt then someone would have been sat in with him, i doubt that though, if that wasnt the case 2 inexperienced crew that dont have a clue its the organisers fault.

Last edited by NewYankee01; 14 Sep 2011 at 11:39.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2955406)   #29
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It all boils down to wether he was given permission to go wrong direction....
Old 14 Sep 2011, 12:11 (Ref:2955409)   #30
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
imagine this place yourself in that truck doing your job for the day, youre out after an incident, then suddenly you here the faint roar of 20+ indy cars going full blast racing speed and a radio call, if somebody bothered, the SC has buggered off, you think oh **** then try and make an exit, as youre making it to the escape road you see 20+ cars coming towards you. ive seen that happen plenty of times with marshals still on track on the sighting lap, sometimes narrowly getting back on post in time, sometimes standing on the inside which is fairly safe but accidents still happen as we know. this wasnt the odd stray marshal this was a big american pickup trucks which cant get out of the way as much or anywhere near as fast as marshals... easy done isnt it.
Yes itr was a big American pick up truck...but it was travelling against the direction of the circuit...surely you can see that by doing this he/she reduced the distance between the truck and the race cars, thereby increasing the chance of them coming in to conflict..?

Quote:
he was out for a reason, doesnt matter what anyone says this may happen in this country one day, we've got to learn from this and side with him/her
Why do we have to side with him/her? If he/she was wrong why should it be overlooked so casually..? It could have led to a very serious accident...possibly resulting in serious injury or even death...would you be so happy to just let it go then..?

Quote:
not presume theyre in the wrong
Yet you're happy to indicate an assumption that the organisers are in the wrong - "...and a radio call, if somebody bothered" - you can't have it both ways...

I understand fellow track workers feeling protective over their own, but maybe you just need to accept that he/she made a mistake by not following procedure (as stated in the press release above), and is being punished accordingly with a 2 race suspension as a result...
Old 14 Sep 2011, 12:12 (Ref:2955410)   #31
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1400 View Post
Go back and read the official story -http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-izod-indycar-series/46170-indycar-suspends-safety-team-member/

Street circuits are a completely different beast to a traditional circuit. Indycar has expanded from oval racing and their safety crews still have to learn 'strange' scenarios.

Come and marshal at an Indycar street course - or even an airfield!
Old 14 Sep 2011, 12:14 (Ref:2955412)   #32
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Quote:
I'm guessing that if he was given permission he would have been able to fight the suspension, and someone else's a*** would be on the line....so I don't think that's likely to be the case...
Old 14 Sep 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2955462)   #33
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Go back and read the official story -http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-izod-indycar-series/46170-indycar-suspends-safety-team-member/

Street circuits are a completely different beast to a traditional circuit. Indycar has expanded from oval racing and their safety crews still have to learn 'strange' scenarios.

1st time seen that explaination, Autosport had it that was checking the tires at T5, so presumably had permission to go W/D to base between T2 and T4... and missed...
Old 14 Sep 2011, 16:12 (Ref:2955507)   #34
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
what happens if the events that unfolded was all over all too quickly for the driver too cope with
Old 14 Sep 2011, 16:14 (Ref:2955508)   #35
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Yes itr was a big American pick up truck...but it was travelling against the direction of the circuit...surely you can see that by doing this he/she reduced the distance between the truck and the race cars, thereby increasing the chance of them coming in to conflict..?

Why do we have to side with him/her? If he/she was wrong why should it be overlooked so casually..? It could have led to a very serious accident...possibly resulting in serious injury or even death...would you be so happy to just let it go then..?

Yet you're happy to indicate an assumption that the organisers are in the wrong - "...and a radio call, if somebody bothered" - you can't have it both ways...

I understand fellow track workers feeling protective over their own, but maybe you just need to accept that he/she made a mistake by not following procedure (as stated in the press release above), and is being punished accordingly with a 2 race suspension as a result...
fair comment...
Old 14 Sep 2011, 16:23 (Ref:2955512)   #36
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People are still "guessing" . If you don't have personal knowledge of the incident with the safety truck then don't guess where the blame should be or who was at fault. All that is doing is causing more stress to the personal involved, both IndyCar officials and volunteer corner workers who are getting unfair and untrue criticism. We all know the issue was an error, and IndyCar have dealt with it to prevent a recurrence.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 16:28 (Ref:2955515)   #37
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post

i have pretty much done all types of rally events and have marshalled at 4 airfield events this year alone, indy car is on the list but maybe the year after next, i spend more money than i should travelling for marshalling but even i have to concede next year ive got enough events to blow my bank account away! another flyaway event that costs £900+ for int and dem flights and a few other things is taking things from almost there to breaking point!

official stories. who would you rather hear the story from, some spokesperson or a disgruntled ex employee... 1 paragraph about what actually happened or part of it, the rest, politically correct bs...
Old 14 Sep 2011, 16:54 (Ref:2955527)   #38
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just to add my tuppence worth having only viewed the coverage posted here, and hopefully without upsetting Bob:

1) The guy on the side of the track was obviously not the flaggie (see the later shot as to where the yellow was before being waved) - so he was not standing there for a better view on that score. So his excuse is still required. (Having nearly been hit by a flying F3 car while in a Spectator area, I just have a strong view on this sort of thing.)

2) I'm sure that the Amercians (probably better than us) make sure that everyone is back in position before going green, although there may be times when "almost" is considered good enough. So can only assume a communications breakdown/glitch. I recall an event at Oulton Park when the red flag had to be thrown first lap of practice when it was realised that a breakdown truck was still on the track at Knickerbrook (iirc). We are, after all, only human so mistakes will always be made - bad luck when it is high profile and recorded for posterity/analysis.

At the end of the day, no harm done fortunately, and lessons learned all round - particularly by those of us watching this coverage and commenting on it on this thread.

Last edited by Shelagh; 14 Sep 2011 at 17:02.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 17:37 (Ref:2955541)   #39
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by theracegypsy View Post
People are still "guessing" . If you don't have personal knowledge of the incident with the safety truck then don't guess where the blame should be or who was at fault. All that is doing is causing more stress to the personal involved, both IndyCar officials and volunteer corner workers who are getting unfair and untrue criticism. We all know the issue was an error, and IndyCar have dealt with it to prevent a recurrence.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2955611)   #40
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The truth is that pretty much all of us are "out of the loop" so debate/speculation is pretty fruitless. Fortunately in my short experience of only a couple of years on the bank, I have found that examples of such conflicting moves are rare, and maybe the best that can come from this is that we all take a look at our own actions and resolve to make sure we have clear communications/understandings, both amongst the team on post and with Race Control.

Familiarity Breeds contempt they say..

Just My Opinion.... YMMV
Old 15 Sep 2011, 00:24 (Ref:2955698)   #41
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Yes itr was a big American pick up truck...
OT: Not sure, it´s actually a Honda although probably built in the States. So you could argue wether it´s American or Japanese...
Old 15 Sep 2011, 01:29 (Ref:2955703)   #42
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Just to add my tuppence worth having only viewed the coverage posted here, and hopefully without upsetting Bob:

......edited.....

At the end of the day, no harm done fortunately, and lessons learned all round - particularly by those of us watching this coverage and commenting on it on this thread.
You definitely don't upset me Shelagh, your comments are reasoned and not based on uninformed guesses.

Great to see you looking good last weekend.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 09:52 (Ref:2955809)   #43
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post

1) The guy on the side of the track was obviously not the flaggie (see the later shot as to where the yellow was before being waved) - so he was not standing there for a better view on that score. So his excuse is still required. (Having nearly been hit by a flying F3 car while in a Spectator area, I just have a strong view on this sort of thing.)

2) I'm sure that the Amercians (probably better than us) make sure that everyone is back in position before going green, although there may be times when "almost" is considered good enough. So can only assume a communications breakdown/glitch. I recall an event at Oulton Park when the red flag had to be thrown first lap of practice when it was realised that a breakdown truck was still on the track at Knickerbrook (iirc). We are, after all, only human so mistakes will always be made - bad luck when it is high profile and recorded for posterity/analysis.

well said...
Old 15 Sep 2011, 09:57 (Ref:2955812)   #44
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by warweezil View Post
The truth is that pretty much all of us are "out of the loop" so debate/speculation is pretty fruitless.
i dont like speculating things ive got a slightly different view to some but that's what good debates do! thats what sport is pretty much full of, speculation but youre right we may never know what really happened for as long as the track team member is still an indycar worker.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 22:28 (Ref:2956136)   #45
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The difference between most of us on this "Marshals" Forum and the general public is we know what should and should not be done on a race track so it's not like ignorant people are commenting on what they can see on the video clips.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 11:14 (Ref:2956361)   #46
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
The difference between most of us on this "Marshals" Forum and the general public is we know what should and should not be done on a race track so it's not like ignorant people are commenting on what they can see on the video clips.
agreed, ive have been looking quite infrequently at youtube and am just waiting for all the full time youtube only keyboard bashers (office workers hopefully are prevented from being offended!) from adding their two pennies worth. a couple of "oh my god what's he doing" comments so far but uninformed stupidity is for now being kept to a minimum...