Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 15 Jul 2013, 08:46 (Ref:3277834)   #1
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
At the Caterham Festival at Donington yesterday (which, incidentally, was a brilliant meeting with predictably close racing) I happened to find myself doing the weirdest combination of flags I've yet experienced.

I was on post 1, which acts as a repeater for the chequered flag. At the end of a race the lead group had taken the chequered so there I was, twirling away, when a car pulled up immediately in front of the post. The IO nipped out to speak to the driver, so for the first time in my limited marshalling experience I found myself with a waved yellow in my left hand and the waved chequered in my right.

As I understand from comments elsewhere this is a perfectly valid combination, but it didn't half seem odd at the time!

I note that if the double-waved yellow proposal goes through (or if this was a meeting under current FIA rules) that this would have been much more of a challenge...

An aside: there was also a taster day on yesterday with 30 or so people having a go for the first time. I hope we didn't put the two off that spent the afternoon with us
Old 15 Jul 2013, 19:47 (Ref:3278074)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
As I understand from comments elsewhere this is a perfectly valid combination, but it didn't half seem odd at the time!
Absolutely spot on. Waving a yellow after the chequer always seems odd, but is sometimes necessary. Remember not to follow it with a green, of course.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 20:22 (Ref:3278086)   #3
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely if the car pulled in front of your post then you should have the green/chequed flag and the proceeding post (finish line) the waved yellow.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 20:37 (Ref:3278094)   #4
Johansen2000
Racer

England
Leicester
Johansen2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohansen2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at post 39 and saw that, did make me chuckle as did not look right, even more so when we then put a waved yellow out for them all slowing to go into the pits

On a side note, that was an amazing meeting, even taking into account the lovely bruise I got on my leg from debris or stones the caterhams kicked up by running wide!
Old 15 Jul 2013, 21:08 (Ref:3278105)   #5
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Palmer View Post
Surely if the car pulled in front of your post then you should have the green/chequed flag and the proceeding post (finish line) the waved yellow.
Why have a green after the chequered flag? They shouldn't be racing after it anyway!

Perfectly valid combination Graeme, seemed appropriate for the situation...
Old 15 Jul 2013, 21:16 (Ref:3278109)   #6
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
Why have a green after the chequered flag? They shouldn't be racing after it anyway!

Perfectly valid combination Graeme, seemed appropriate for the situation...
even tho they are not racing, it still informs the drivers on the slow down lap that they have cleared the danger area
Old 15 Jul 2013, 22:27 (Ref:3278132)   #7
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If I stepped to the left I needed yellow, right green

I chose yellow regardless. Clatterhams can go bang at any time
Old 15 Jul 2013, 22:58 (Ref:3278147)   #8
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel View Post
even tho they are not racing, it still informs the drivers on the slow down lap that they have cleared the danger area
I take the point; however, to my mind the flags are a bit contradictory in meaning in that one says that they can continue racing (the green) whilst the other (the chequered) says stop racing. As a sort of parallel, one wouldn't display a green flag and a red one at the same time, even though cars may have passed the affected incident.

Nonetheless, I do consider that a yellow and a chequer can be displayed together - it just seems a bit odd when doing it.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 08:32 (Ref:3278267)   #9
EnglishPaddy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Near Dorking, Surrey
EnglishPaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
one says that they can continue racing (the green)
Not so:
15.1.(i) All clear, at the end of a danger area controlled by yellow flags

Nothing about racing

No more contradiction in that than with Chequer and yellow

C.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 08:34 (Ref:3278268)   #10
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
If I stepped to the left I needed yellow, right green

I chose yellow regardless. Clatterhams can go bang at any time
Good choice.

Jim
Old 16 Jul 2013, 09:11 (Ref:3278282)   #11
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishPaddy View Post
Not so:
15.1.(i) All clear, at the end of a danger area controlled by yellow flags

Nothing about racing

No more contradiction in that than with Chequer and yellow
I agree.

I've waved a Blue with a Red.

Letting drivers know an FIV was coming up behind them heading for the incident.

Don't want this to happen do we
http://youtu.be/J5oqFRHGhMc