Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 11 Dec 2013, 10:21 (Ref:3342647)   #1
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An American GP2?

There were some rumours about a planed American GP2 series last year, but I never heard about it since.

But as I read the test entries for this weeks Indy-Lights test with just seven cars, I ask the question: Would it be better to restructure the American Formula Junior series? And how could it be done better? Would an American GP2 help?
Old 11 Dec 2013, 11:10 (Ref:3342658)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
see: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138491
Old 12 Dec 2013, 13:35 (Ref:3343157)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Ratings.

Would Americans prefer to watch an F1 feeder for 22-year-olds, or America's premier formula racing featuring the 500?
Old 12 Dec 2013, 13:52 (Ref:3343164)   #4
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
GP2 America would wind up becoming a feeder series for Indycar or even have a cross fertilisation of drivers including Indycar drivers switching and pining for an F1 gig.

GP2 America might be in both in the interest of Indycar and F1.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 16:38 (Ref:3343202)   #5
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP2 America is Indy Lights.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 16:59 (Ref:3343214)   #6
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Ratings.

Would Americans prefer to watch an F1 feeder for 22-year-olds, or America's premier formula racing featuring the 500?
Judging by the TV ratings for both those series in the US, neither.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 18:49 (Ref:3343255)   #7
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
GP2 America is Indy Lights.
Noone in F1 looks at Indylights. American drivers would be drawn to GP2 because they'd have a crack at F1 and have Indycars waiting as a fall-back. If anything GP2 up and running would ruin Indylights.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 20:06 (Ref:3343290)   #8
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Noone in F1 looks at Indylights. American drivers would be drawn to GP2 because they'd have a crack at F1 and have Indycars waiting as a fall-back. If anything GP2 up and running would ruin Indylights.
Indy Lights needs bigger grids with serious teams not only from American motorsport, but potentially European-backed drivers. Montoya went to CART as a Williams protégé, and that ended up working very well. Perhaps F1 teams should think of Indy Lights as a good place to place a young driver. Considering the state of GP2 right now, I'd be torn between the two, but FR3.5 will be the first choice for years to come.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 22:16 (Ref:3343367)   #9
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Indy Lights needs bigger grids with serious teams not only from American motorsport, but potentially European-backed drivers. Montoya went to CART as a Williams protégé, and that ended up working very well. Perhaps F1 teams should think of Indy Lights as a good place to place a young driver. Considering the state of GP2 right now, I'd be torn between the two, but FR3.5 will be the first choice for years to come.
Well, we can say Indylights needs lots of teams but, like with everything, it's bringing about the conditions where that is true which is the difficult part. As it is, Indy-Lights isn't on F1's radar, they struggle to muster a skeleton grid, there's ovals there which hurts the relevancy for F1, and the F1 club is a little like NASCAR, they'll shun the offerings of rivals in lieu of their own 'product'. I wouldn't speak of GP2 ever being popular with 'audiences' per say but with Austin on the map, an F1 path as an incentive, American drivers with budgets will arrive at American GP2 if they do take the plunge.

I think GP2 could help Indycars by reviving an interest in single seaters for American drivers though. Drivers and their sponsors who where defeated in engaging with F1, Indycar would be a natural alternative like the WEC is, for European drivers. Whereas now a bulk of talents are lost to the NASCAR ladder.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 23:00 (Ref:3343382)   #10
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If CART existed today and they had those 950 hp monsters at the back then I think an GP2/FR 3.5 step could have been done, but at the moment GP2 cars have around the same horsepower and they are faster on road courses, although I think Indycars are faster on ovals (obviously). At the moment, Light cars have 420 hp... that would be a shock going from 420 to 950 but not to 600!
Old 13 Dec 2013, 05:59 (Ref:3343517)   #11
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
The saddest thing is that once upon a (now distant) time we had healthy Atlantics and Indy lights cars as CART support series.....

Hard to believe it was at it's premium best 20+ years ago....
Old 13 Dec 2013, 10:14 (Ref:3343591)   #12
Formulahistory
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
The saddest thing is that once upon a (now distant) time we had healthy Atlantics and Indy lights cars as CART support series.....
In 2007 we had two Junior series with Formula Atlantic and Indy Lights, but now we have just one half of a series - a shame and an question that can't be answered why...
Old 13 Dec 2013, 11:04 (Ref:3343610)   #13
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
I wonder how much attention Indy Lights drew to the whole open wheel society back in the 90s. If I were Helmut Marko, and just heard that Greg Moore has won 10 out of 12 races in IL, then I would sign him directly to the junior program. Apparently the serie had around 30 drivers at that point in IL (1995).
Old 13 Dec 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3343612)   #14
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
And, I must say:

To introduce that AER engine will probably save this series. Dan Anderson should be proud over making that decision!
Old 14 Dec 2013, 09:31 (Ref:3343940)   #15
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the problems with GP2 is the high cost. Is the American series going to address that?

But I can see the possibilities. If you attended the last Austin GP weekend, then besides the F1 race, qualifying, and practice, all you else you would see is the "gentlemen" racers in their Ferrari Challenge competition. The North American F1 races are in a dire need of having good support races. If down the road we end up with four North American F1 GPs (2 USA, 1 Canada, 1 Mexico), I think that would be a good time to jump start the North American GP2 series or similar.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 09:35 (Ref:3343942)   #16
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
They could run it with the USCC and the Continental Tire Series...
Old 14 Dec 2013, 14:14 (Ref:3343993)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Are we really suggesting that the US could support a domestic GP2 series AND Indy Lights? Sounds all too much like the CART/IRL split to me...
Old 14 Dec 2013, 17:23 (Ref:3344040)   #18
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Are we really suggesting that the US could support a domestic GP2 series AND Indy Lights? Sounds all too much like the CART/IRL split to me...
And that worked out beautifully, just look at how healthy both series' are right now...
Old 14 Dec 2013, 17:24 (Ref:3344041)   #19
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More like Atlantics/F3. There is no need for a formula that points in one hopeless direction. That's the problem with Lights as it is. The solution is to get a formula well regarded by F1, IndyCar, and sportscars(as in LMP1 teams and GTE-pro teams). F3/Atlantics fits that bill and could be done as cheaply as Star Mazda.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 17:32 (Ref:3344046)   #20
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
More like Atlantics/F3. There is no need for a formula that points in one hopeless direction. That's the problem with Lights as it is. The solution is to get a formula well regarded by F1, IndyCar, and sportscars(as in LMP1 teams and GTE-pro teams). F3/Atlantics fits that bill and could be done as cheaply as Star Mazda.
Check out British F3. Formula 3 done at the price of Formula Renault. Interest generated - almost nothing. Indy Lights has the same issue with only running on 1 GP circuit and ovals won't be taken nicely by F1.

What we need is for people to talk to each other...
Old 14 Dec 2013, 17:47 (Ref:3344052)   #21
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Check out British F3. Formula 3 done at the price of Formula Renault. Interest generated - almost nothing. Indy Lights has the same issue with only running on 1 GP circuit and ovals won't be taken nicely by F1.

What we need is for people to talk to each other...
Yeah but British F3 cannibalized itself and still had better grids than IndyLights. The F3 Open is doing just fine. F3 as a formula has partnerships with many manufacturers, all of which have a strong footprint in motorsport. if you can foster those relationships instead of pigeonholing yourself with one manufacturer who is niche at best and doesn't have any presence in topline motorsport then it is always going to be an uphill battle.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 20:48 (Ref:3344100)   #22
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
GP2 America would destroy Indy Lights if a GP2 America went ahead. Even if Indy Lights was strong, it'd hit them

If a GP2 America project did go ahead, Indycar would be better off unofficially positioning itself as the first alternative to F1 and pick up drivers that way.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 21:47 (Ref:3344114)   #23
Formulahistory
Veteran

Quote:
I think there must be one series, but that must be a stronger series as Indy-Lights with just a handfull drivers. Perhaps a cut would help and a new American GP2 series could catch more attention.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3344297)   #24
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Is there any way you could have Indy Lights running to GP2 regs (and hey, maybe Super Formula too), or would the ovals make that impossible? It'd be great to see the same cars across the three formulae, maybe with different engines - but then, I'd like to see engine competition in GP2...
Old 15 Dec 2013, 15:52 (Ref:3344309)   #25
somebodysb2
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
somebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsomebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is there any way you could have Indy Lights running to GP2 regs (and hey, maybe Super Formula too), or would the ovals make that impossible? It'd be great to see the same cars across the three formulae, maybe with different engines - but then, I'd like to see engine competition in GP2...
I would personally rate IndyCar to be on the same level as Super Formula. The grids may be a bit small compared to IndyCar but the standard of driving is still very high with recent Le Mans winners and ex-F1 drivers. Their cars are also built to 2010 F1 safety standards and the organisers have openly stated that they wanted a VJM06-level of performance.

I'm interested if the Indy Lights organisers could possibly adapt older cars for racing. Why construct new ones when older cars are lying around? Just throw a restrictor on a Swift 017.n/FN09/SF13 (ex-Super Formula 2013), Panoz DP09B (ex-Superleague Formula 2011), Dallara IR07 (ex-IndyCar 2011), Williams JPH1B (ex-Formula Two 2012), etc.

Could these older formulae prove to be an attractive option for 2015 and beyond? Could a restrictor reduce running costs and minimise dangerous tendencies like Dallara IR07 flipping? Surely longer being able to compete in a current championship has driven values down significantly?