Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 29 Sep 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3770604)   #1
maxheadroom
Rookie

maxheadroom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Possibly a worrying precedent for marshals

Dont often post here, but saw this today,a worrying precedent for marshals in sport particularly where crowd control is an issue.

(Essentially a marshal (as well as governing body and race official) is up on health and safety charges at crown court

'A marshal, Kevin Ian Duckworth, 41 of Accrington, Lancashire, is alleged to have failed to ensure that his health and safety duties as a marshal were complied with'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-n...wales-41444649
Old 29 Sep 2017, 20:32 (Ref:3770626)   #2
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The problem is the article is heavy on charges and light on facts. It doesn't give the evidence, naturally, so we don't know what happened.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 1 Oct 2017, 20:54 (Ref:3771102)   #3
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The terminology here is important, too. What's the definition of "marshal" in this context?

I'm not asking for an answer as that will come out in court, just pointing out that the term is widely used to describe a lot of different roles (as is steward).

I'm sure our colleagues at various clubs and the MSA will be watching with interest.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 20:59 (Ref:3771103)   #4
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the news report alone, it's not a marshal in court, but a "race official", and the British Cycling Federation - which is said to have, "failed to conduct its undertaking in such a way as to ensure the health and safety of people attending."

John
Old 2 Oct 2017, 00:42 (Ref:3771131)   #5
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
On the news report alone, it's not a marshal in court, but a "race official", and the British Cycling Federation - which is said to have, "failed to conduct its undertaking in such a way as to ensure the health and safety of people attending."

John
er, it is both. If you read right to the end of the report...
Old 2 Oct 2017, 03:16 (Ref:3771161)   #6
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race officials in Australia have been charged with manslaughter in the past for "failings" of responsibility but I haven't heard of a "grunt" being charged. Usually it goes up the ranks to those in charge.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 06:38 (Ref:3771178)   #7
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At this point in time we can either pointlessly speculate on what may or may not happen or we could wait until the facts are known, the outcome of the case determined and any relevance to our sport subsequently assessed.

At this time I'm more concerned about the outcome of the Fatal Accident Inquiry (FAI) into the deaths of four people on the 2013 Snowman Rally and the 2014 Jim Clark Rally which has a direct relevance to our sport.

Dave
Old 2 Oct 2017, 07:14 (Ref:3771183)   #8
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
er, it is both. If you read right to the end of the report...
Indeed - my mistake.
J.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 07:35 (Ref:3771189)   #9
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I make no comment on the article, I know absolutely nothing about Mountain Bike Racing, or what happened.

However, note to self, a timely reminder to make sure that I have completed the prerequisite MSA Formal Training Sessions to maintain grade....
Old 2 Oct 2017, 12:25 (Ref:3771251)   #10
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is a Go Pro helmet cam of the course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsJOjvn4gps
It is really steep, really rough, and spectators are standing a foot away from the course with only tape as a barrier.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 12:44 (Ref:3771256)   #11
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
[..]and spectators are standing a foot away from the course with only tape as a barrier.
Sounds just like a Rally Stage to me....
Old 2 Oct 2017, 13:29 (Ref:3771264)   #12
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tape's just fine. What could possibly go wrong...

Mind you, it is a salutary reminder to all spectators not to stand in the wrong place.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Oct 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3771299)   #13
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Sounds just like a Rally Stage to me....
Sounds like a rally stage, looks like a rock crawl winch.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 16:06 (Ref:3771307)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
At this point in time we can either pointlessly speculate on what may or may not happen or we could wait until the facts are known, the outcome of the case determined and any relevance to our sport subsequently assessed.
You do realise you're posting on a board where speculation and opinion forms a significant proportion of the content Dave? (and relevance often comes way down the list in terms of importance!)
Old 2 Oct 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3771317)   #15
JohnD
Veteran

Possibly not relevant to the question, but that course should not be used again for a long time. It is so eroded by the bikes and every winter water wil course down it, further eroding it, until the hillside returns to a scree slope.

Rallies either restore their stages themselves (GB Wales) or the Forestry does it for them, for a price. This path hasn't seen any restoration, ever.
John

John