Old 17 Feb 2007, 21:00 (Ref:1843951)   #26
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by archaic gold
I am sure that you regular Brands guys and girls will remember (it was only two years ago!!); I think at the CSMA Classis Meeting when two Classic Lotus F1s had a togetherness at the Ambulance Gate (Pots 2&3), when the one on the right turned into the open gateway, and the one on the left continued down Paddock Hill. Neither got very far, and this was during the official lunch-break. Needless to say there were many of us still about to assist!!!
Yep, was just a spectator then - Have a nice picture of the marshals clearing up the mess - I'll dig it out...
Old 19 Feb 2007, 11:12 (Ref:1845398)   #27
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagwaver
As a rescue bod I have big problems with "stand downs" because they usually expect the rescue unit(s) be available to attend any incidents. When we are expected to go to the toilet etc I do not know.

We get the same on hillclimbs...

They can allow marshals on post time to stand down in rotation so as keeping at least someone on post but if the unit is on minimum crew (2 for a speed event) how do we answer the call of nature,get food etc
Old 19 Feb 2007, 12:19 (Ref:1845447)   #28
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Standing Down

I would suggest that 'standing down on post' would be the same as being in between races/qualies. That quieter bit when the chequered has gone out, all cars are in the pits and we're waiting for the next on track activity.

Year before last at Castle Combe we had an mg (or something of that size and shape) roll onto it's roof while being towed by the recovery vehicle. We were all stood down, some lying down when we hear the truck coming followed by an almighty crash. I stand up to see the car on it's roof beside the truck. It was all to do with the strap being corner to oposite corner and on the roof bar, the car pulling out slightly so the driver wasn;t getting a face full oif exhausts and the cors snapping taught.

(On another note the driver did have his helmet on and was strapped in - something I insist all towed vehicle drivers to do now).

However it happened, we were I guess, 'stood down on post', but able to drop the sarnies and tea and react quickly.
Perhaps this is what is meant by 'stood down on post'?

Ultimately I suggest if anyone is unsure on post, the observer should ring RC and ask! It may mean different things on different days at different tracks!!
Old 19 Feb 2007, 20:03 (Ref:1845734)   #29
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1400
Yep, was just a spectator then - Have a nice picture of the marshals clearing up the mess - I'll dig it out...
OK pics are up on my site starting with....
Old 19 Feb 2007, 20:53 (Ref:1845777)   #30
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Remember the incident well and we were stood down on post.
Old 26 Feb 2007, 19:07 (Ref:1852205)   #31
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is a very good question, and one that I confess I've never quite thought about in such detail. I find myself thinking from the above that it's a phrase along the lines of smart-casual dress. Is that tidy casual? Smart without a tie?

So we're either stood down (inactive) or we're not (required to respond if necessary). If we're required on post, then we're active. It's not, apparently the same thing as 'don't go too far because it's only a short break (stood down).

It also worries me that we're then dealing with a situation where the drivers may not be aware of what's required them as racing drivers are (yes, I know some will disagree with that, but there's a difference between the few who know what to do for a flag or track situation and don't and a bunch who don't have clue because they weren't expected to know). For that reason, and because I like the opportunity of a break, I'm not happy about cavalcades or similar requiring marshalling. I separate that from 'demonstrations' because they should be part of the meeting, scheduled and licenced. Some hillclimbs, for instance, include demonstration runs because of timing/class issues, but are actually run alongside the competition. I guess I'd draw the line at whether the run is for the benefit of the crowd or the participant. If it's the primarily the former (and at potentially competitive speeds) it should be marshalled as normal and if the latter other arrangements should be made while we go and have lunch.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 09:32 (Ref:1852651)   #32
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybirch
I would suggest that 'standing down on post' would be the same as being in between races/qualies. That quieter bit when the chequered has gone out, all cars are in the pits and we're waiting for the next on track activity.

Year before last at Castle Combe we had an mg (or something of that size and shape) roll onto it's roof while being towed by the recovery vehicle. We were all stood down, some lying down when we hear the truck coming followed by an almighty crash. I stand up to see the car on it's roof beside the truck. It was all to do with the strap being corner to oposite corner and on the roof bar, the car pulling out slightly so the driver wasn;t getting a face full oif exhausts and the cors snapping taught.

(On another note the driver did have his helmet on and was strapped in - something I insist all towed vehicle drivers to do now).

However it happened, we were I guess, 'stood down on post', but able to drop the sarnies and tea and react quickly.
Perhaps this is what is meant by 'stood down on post'?

Ultimately I suggest if anyone is unsure on post, the observer should ring RC and ask! It may mean different things on different days at different tracks!!
I think everyone should take a mental note of what Standing Down means....it can mean, hey, I'm off to the bog and I CANNOT be relied upon to return any time soon (that is, out of the picture until returns).

As for "relaxing" whilst recoveries and entertainment is on....I believe there is no such thing....you are stood down from race duties but not from your other duties as a provider of warning (eyes and ears, Flags and Comms to Race Control) and assistance on track (if required)....2c