Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 17 Nov 2002, 07:02 (Ref:430343)   #1
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Yoong to Forsyth 2003?

I find this story kinda strange. Seventhgear.com is reporting a fairly stong rumour that has Alex Yoong coming over to CART and racing for Gerry Forsyth? He would bring Petronas sporsorship with him. If this turns out to be true my goodness if you're gonna can Tags and bend over backwards for a driver who on most F1 weekends was spending his time in gravel traps this can't be a good thing. Why bring F1's worst to our series?
Old 17 Nov 2002, 07:35 (Ref:430355)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!
Old 17 Nov 2002, 07:37 (Ref:430357)   #3
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd purely be an economic thing surely with all that Petronas money Yoong carries around with him but i've got to question if it's worth having one car that's never competitive & quite often off the track.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 10:23 (Ref:430427)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yeah its simply a cash thing , Im sure Alex is having the time of his life driving all these amazing cars but he isnt going to be a front runner.

Petronas money is odd to me , I dont remember seeing any petronas stickers on the Minardi's ???
Old 17 Nov 2002, 10:34 (Ref:430431)   #5
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe because they were already with Sauber before Yoong joined and didn't want to end their relation with Sauber.

IF Yoong takes Petronas to CART i really hope it's not with Forsythe.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 10:38 (Ref:430432)   #6
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm with you Stranger. Plenty of other teams need the money more than Forsythe. But then, maybe he is looking to the post-Player's era.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 12:53 (Ref:430513)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got it in one -- post-Players era is the main thing, but the other thing is that he's got to pay Tags' salary at his new team, so he needs a third driver who can pay his own way.

And who knows, we might be surprised. If anyone had judged Mikey's abilities by his F1 "career" -- and he was driving the best car on the grid at the time, which despite his whining, Mika found easy to drive -- he would not have got a drive in CART whether he was Mario's son or the Son of G*d.

Give the kid a chance.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 12:54 (Ref:430516)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't mean to slander Mika with my pronouns above -- I should have said despite Mikey's whining.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 14:06 (Ref:430542)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eh... Sorry Liz... Yoong's been useless at every level of competition, not just F1.

The damn arrogant Malaysian businessmen who support him wouldn't know driving talent if it bit them on their money-padded asses. Someone this incredibly untalented can't possibly be the best that a country as big as Malaysia can produce!
Old 17 Nov 2002, 14:26 (Ref:430546)   #10
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART is a very difficult series with lots of competition. F1-live.com was reporting this week that A Yoong was posting on his website that he's gonna come to CART to a "winning" team and that he would be back in F1 before you know it. Maybe we should give the guy a chance but I think his F1 days are done (unless he has the cash to return). Its almost as if he thinks CART will be a cake walk. Its like yeah I'll go to CART win the championship then go back, these F1 guys sometimes don't get it. My 0.002
Old 17 Nov 2002, 14:49 (Ref:430555)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Well, Montoya did it. Okay, so he's no Montoya. But I don't think we ought to trash him before he's ever turned a wheel.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 16:59 (Ref:430602)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Another car on the grid is another car on the grid! Another sponsor in the fold is another sponsor in the fold! Alex Yoong will just be another Hiro Matsu****a.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 17:29 (Ref:430610)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

That autocensor is really picky!!!
Old 17 Nov 2002, 18:31 (Ref:430631)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Make him pay in advance, that's all.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 21:02 (Ref:430761)   #15
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not so hard on Alex, he's a Schumi in the making, just ask him.

We'd all like to have a full quality field, however one or 2 ******s have always been running around so really no big deal. Anyway, Yoong could lead to a Malaysian race.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 02:59 (Ref:431000)   #16
ringo
Racer

ringo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
easy tigers, Yoong done a solid job in his last few races and kept it out of the wall and gravel most season. A lot of CART guys would look terrible in F1 and i think he'll do decent midfield times which in Cart can get you a win. Cart fans should be singing praises to him, we need as many cars as we can get.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 03:07 (Ref:431005)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We'll see... I honestly don't think he was as bad in F1 as most people make out. He kept his nose pretty clean anyway, which is more than can be said for a lot of backmarkers in F1.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 18 Nov 2002, 03:34 (Ref:431019)   #18
Liz
Veteran

And for the philistines among you, his girl friend is Miss Malaysia.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 03:45 (Ref:431023)   #19
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bet she's good for a conversation, not.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 11:43 (Ref:431204)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess we have to look a the positives of this, if it happens, as although drivers mroe talented than Yoong will be stuck in lesser championships or on the sidelines altogether, it will mean another driver on the grid, a possible race in Malaysia in future, more chance to attract fans from that part of the world, and plenty of F1 failures have done OK in CART.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 01:12 (Ref:432739)   #21
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Yoong is hopeless. It annoys the hell out of me when people like him and Mario Haberfeld, who has shown time and again he can't drive an F3000 car, keep getting given rides and people with talent like Justin Wilson, Robbie Kerr and such, can't.

Yoong should have his superlicense taken away or something. He's a danger to himself and others. He just proves that fully automatic gears and traction control don't take the skill out of driving F1 cars fast.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 04:29 (Ref:432805)   #22
Liz
Veteran

I guess we'll see when he doesn't have those driver aids, eh?

Personally, I'm always sorry to see some fat schlump get out of a Lamborghini when I am stuck with a 1973 Dino GTS. But there you go. There's no justice.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 06:18 (Ref:432848)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
My car goes 0-60 in about... say... five minutes?
Old 22 Nov 2002, 15:19 (Ref:434721)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check f1-live.com He admits to having an offer from Forsythe. Obviously it's a 'you pay for it, I'll run it' kind of deal.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Nov 2002, 15:22 (Ref:434722)   #25
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Forsythe is out of CART next year if he can't find a replacement for Player's so bring on Yoong's sponsors.