Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 13 Dec 2015, 19:27 (Ref:3597534)   #2476
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
super! - that's the road between me and Midgetman, fascinating to spot the bits that haven't changed (not many), still see that Herald driver occasionally...
Well give me a wave next time David.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 21:02 (Ref:3597547)   #2477
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
There was a bit on Look East last week about how far ahead nature is this winter / spring

I hate to remind you Mike but it's still officially Autumn. Winter hasn't started yet let alone spring!
Old 13 Dec 2015, 22:30 (Ref:3597554)   #2478
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I hate to remind you Mike but it's still officially Autumn. Winter hasn't started yet let alone spring!
Well, what was that white stuff that I've had to sweep off my car twice already this "autumn" then? Having said that, one of our local posties wears his shorts all year round; he just puts on boots when it snows!
Old 14 Dec 2015, 06:30 (Ref:3597625)   #2479
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
You tell nature that! It's definitely spring for some......
Old 14 Dec 2015, 07:29 (Ref:3597627)   #2480
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This sounds as if I have strayed on to a gardening forum.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 09:00 (Ref:3597639)   #2481
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Marvellous video. I see it was raining in Calne. It's always bloody raining in Calne. ..yes as David says one of my regular commutes, and I kept thinking 'slow down for the roundabout you idiot! ' only to find the blessed thing wasn't there
Old 14 Dec 2015, 09:04 (Ref:3597640)   #2482
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
This sounds as if I have strayed on to a gardening forum.
I think you'll find Baub that "The answer lies in the soil..."
Old 14 Dec 2015, 09:09 (Ref:3597642)   #2483
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Marvellous video. I see it was raining in Calne. It's always bloody raining in Calne. ..yes as David says one of my regular commutes, and I kept thinking 'slow down for the roundabout you idiot! ' only to find the blessed thing wasn't there

That would be an excellent Hazard Assessment film although I thought one or two decisions looked a bit iffy - might have been the angle of view of the lens.

Surely the Herald was a set up for the story? Bob, what can you tell us?

I wonder how much allowance he made for other people's brake performance back then? Compared to what we expect these days.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 09:18 (Ref:3597649)   #2484
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes I suspect the Herald was the camera car for the external shots. Where the driver "cut him up" was about 100 yds up from the side-on view of the Jag passing Cherhill monument.

I thought the overtake coming out of Hungerford was decidedly iffy.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 09:25 (Ref:3597653)   #2485
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Yes I suspect the Herald was the camera car for the external shots. Where the driver "cut him up" was about 100 yds up from the side-on view of the Jag passing Cherhill monument.

I thought the overtake coming out of Hungerford was decidedly iffy.

One wonders if anything coming out of Hungerford is decidedly iffy .....
Old 14 Dec 2015, 10:05 (Ref:3597660)   #2486
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
There were a lot of sensible observations in that film which are totally relevant today. But, like Alan, I found the method of moving a car out of your lane on a motorway surprising, and certainly not one I would use today! But then I don't drive a German middle executive saloon.....

All overtaking was iffy in those days, but at least we were taught and knew how to do it! Not something most young drivers today have ever had to practice, unless it's parked.....

Old 14 Dec 2015, 17:23 (Ref:3597729)   #2487
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You tell nature that! It's definitely spring for some......
Don't speak too soon. Every silver lining has a cloud.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 18:07 (Ref:3597747)   #2488
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I think you'll find Baub that "The answer lies in the soil..."

What have rotten Vauxhalls got to do with the weather?
Old 14 Dec 2015, 19:36 (Ref:3597764)   #2489
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
That would be an excellent Hazard Assessment film although I thought one or two decisions looked a bit iffy - might have been the angle of view of the lens.

Surely the Herald was a set up for the story? Bob, what can you tell us?

I wonder how much allowance he made for other people's brake performance back then? Compared to what we expect these days.
About the time the film was taken I worked with a chap who having passed his driving test bought a Triumph Herald, and on one occasion the wife and I acted a lift to a works 'do' with him. Coming up behind a slow moving car in front he casually pulled out, and went past around a completely blind bend on a major road. When I suggested that this was not a wise thing to be doing he just laughed. insisted on driving us home and never accepted a lift again.

The point is that back in the 70's Herald drivers were a menace, clearly.

I heard later that he got a job driving for a film company
Old 14 Dec 2015, 19:38 (Ref:3597765)   #2490
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
What have rotten Vauxhalls got to do with the weather?
Is there an insult in there somewhere?

If so aimed at whom?

Achtung! Steps may have to b taken
Old 14 Dec 2015, 20:28 (Ref:3597780)   #2491
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
About the time the film was taken I worked with a chap who having passed his driving test bought a Triumph Herald, and on one occasion the wife and I acted a lift to a works 'do' with him. Coming up behind a slow moving car in front he casually pulled out, and went past around a completely blind bend on a major road. When I suggested that this was not a wise thing to be doing he just laughed. insisted on driving us home and never accepted a lift again.

Hmm.

Around a decade later I knew a couple of chaps in a very social drinking group (centred on one a 3 pubs in 3 different places depending on the day of the week) who both drove minis, as many people did then.

One of them, I discovered, liked to face the people he was talking to. Fair enough bu I found it more than a little unnerving when it was the person sitting behind him whilst he was driving. Nice chap but one always got the impression he thought he was somewhere other than in a car when driving.

The other also had some random habits that made one wonder about where his priorities lay. He also tended to look away for the road rather more than I felt was sensible given a less than encouraging control of the steering wheel but the strangest thing was changing gear with his right hand.

Later I heard he had moved to Holland. Probably found changing gear more comfortable .... unless, of course, he started to use his left hand.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 22:10 (Ref:3597809)   #2492
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

O dear have we met up in a previous life Bob . My first car was a Herald and I very nearly went to work at Pinewood studios . Decided to become a Jet fighter pilot instead 😀
Old 14 Dec 2015, 22:13 (Ref:3597810)   #2493
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well that's what I told the school career teacher . Got a job in a Garage
Old 15 Dec 2015, 10:44 (Ref:3597913)   #2494
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
O dear have we met up in a previous life Bob . My first car was a Herald and I very nearly went to work at Pinewood studios . Decided to become a Jet fighter pilot instead 😀

That explains a lot then Iain!
Old 15 Dec 2015, 10:55 (Ref:3597918)   #2495
bauble
Veteran

England
[QUOTE=grantp;3597780]Hmm.
He also tended to look away for the road rather more than I felt was sensible given a less than encouraging control of the steering wheel but the strangest thing was changing gear with his right hand. "

In many films you often see the driver looking away from the road for quite long periods chatting to his passenger, and I always thought it looked dangerous. I tried it myself, well attempted it, on a quiet stretch of road, but after about two seconds found I had to look forward again, it was just too scary.
One should never stop learning to be a good, safe and fast driver, even after 57 years experience I still find I can improve techniques.

When approaching a junction/roundabout my motto is;

Prepared to stop, ready to go.

Also;

Quick not fast.

Observation, Anticipation, Acceleration (of decision making).

Stay safe over the Festive Season.

Old Bawb.
Old 15 Dec 2015, 15:39 (Ref:3597959)   #2496
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Is there an insult in there somewhere?

If so aimed at whom?

Achtung! Steps may have to b taken
Good to see you're on the alert Baub whilst I'm busy elsewhere.
Top Man!
Old 15 Dec 2015, 16:42 (Ref:3597965)   #2497
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

[QUOTE=bauble;3597918]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
In many films you often see the driver looking away from the road for quite long periods chatting to his passenger, and I always thought it looked dangerous. I tried it myself, well attempted it, on a quiet stretch of road, but after about two seconds found I had to look forward again, it was just too scary.

Well you can do that looking around thing in the USA because they only drive at 15mph and all the roads are straight.

Plus in the traditional cars from the 50s through to the 90s the width was so great that if you were not facing the person you were talking to the sound would not carry far enough for them to hear you.

Obviously in the movies the vehicles being stationary in front of a moving backdrop or on tow behind a camera vehicle probably helps a little too, though probably doesn't make much difference to the way many of the "stars" drive off set.
Old 16 Dec 2015, 07:34 (Ref:3598097)   #2498
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I was reading in a mag about the special AMs built for the new Bond film. One has a remote driver cage on the roof, where the stunt driver controls the car from, the actor sitting in the car 'pretending'.......

So, is it me, or is the fact that an Englishman has gone to the ISS taking over the media? The words patriotism and jingoism came to mind, but neither fits perfectly, so I'll use 'extreme nationalism' instead!

I assumed he was part of a team, but it took a lot of research to find any info on the others involved.... Well done to the whole crew, especially the Russian Commander, who manually docked the Sojuz after the auto park feature failed..

Old 16 Dec 2015, 08:07 (Ref:3598103)   #2499
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
I was reading in a mag about the special AMs built for the new Bond film. One has a remote driver cage on the roof, where the stunt driver controls the car from, the actor sitting in the car 'pretending'.......

So, is it me, or is the fact that an Englishman has gone to the ISS taking over the media? The words patriotism and jingoism came to mind, but neither fits perfectly, so I'll use 'extreme nationalism' instead!

I assumed he was part of a team, but it took a lot of research to find any info on the others involved.... Well done to the whole crew, especially the Russian Commander, who manually docked the Sojuz after the auto park feature failed..

Thank God it was not a woman.
Old 16 Dec 2015, 08:30 (Ref:3598106)   #2500
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Sorry to back track here, but I've just re-watched that wonderful 1963 IAM driving film. Being a child of that time and one who was car mad I really enjoyed seeing droves of those old vehicles that I remember from my childhood. At one point during the film 'our' Jaguar driver draws up behind a Humber Hawk and I thought "of course, the fuel filler cap on those was actually the reflector in the bottom right-hand rear light unit"(the sort of trivial thing I remember sadly!). I then started thinking of other cars of the time with 'hidden' fuel fillers, but could only bring to mind the Ford Corsair & Zephyr/Zodiac models that had them hidden behind the (drop down) rear number plates. Hardly ground breaking & innovative designing I know, but it shows the little quirks in the cars of those times.
(Presumably the fuel filler caps were moved from the back panels of cars for 'elf & safety reasons, for when someone ran into the back of the car?)