Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jan 2013, 17:16 (Ref:3187340)   #1
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Get a grip FOM!

Looks like You will be better watching F1 on TV next year as Fan Vision will not be available at the circuits. The company behind it cannot reach a deal with FOM (Bernie). Something tells me this is to screw pennies out of the fans pockets by getting someone to pay more for the service.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105060
Old 10 Jan 2013, 17:20 (Ref:3187341)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fantastic. I just bought a FanVision thing in Austin. Bernie is screwing people over again. Pity everyone in F1 is sycophantic and so complimentary to him. No-one will ever have the balls to call him out.

Edit: in fairness, di Montezemolo did, although unfortunately he talked in disparaging terms about age rather than focusing on greed to the detriment of the sport.

Last edited by Born Racer; 10 Jan 2013 at 17:26.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 20:41 (Ref:3187411)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Outrage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Looks like You will be better watching F1 on TV next year as Fan Vision will not be available at the circuits. The company behind it cannot reach a deal with FOM (Bernie). Something tells me this is to screw pennies out of the fans pockets by getting someone to pay more for the service.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105060
Same thing happened at Le Mans a couple of years ago. It was good and then they couldn't get an agreement with the ACO.

You are still better off being there. Although it was a good addition, especially at Le Mans.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 21:02 (Ref:3187418)   #4
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get a grip FOM!

I remember attending GPs and having no idea what position people are running in...what happened to half the field as they were their a lap ago...GP weekends used to be about the noise and atmosphere then go home and watch the VCR as you had the race on record.

But Kanga TV/Fanvision made the GP weekend SO MUCH BETTER that a race fan could enjoy the live experience and be wired in to what was going on with the race.

But no more as it seems they could not come to an agreement with FOM! The past 7 years I have attended at least 1 GP, including travelling OS to catch races. Frankly without Fanvision it takes away about 65% of my motivation to attend a race ...
Old 10 Jan 2013, 21:08 (Ref:3187420)   #5
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
I remember attending GPs and having no idea what position people are running in...what happened to half the field as they were their a lap ago...GP weekends used to be about the noise and atmosphere then go home and watch the VCR as you had the race on record.

But Kanga TV/Fanvision made the GP weekend SO MUCH BETTER that a race fan could enjoy the live experience and be wired in to what was going on with the race.

But no more as it seems they could not come to an agreement with FOM! The past 7 years I have attended at least 1 GP, including travelling OS to catch races. Frankly without Fanvision it takes away about 65% of my motivation to attend a race ...
I suspect this is Bernie/CVC trying to get more money out of the fans.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 21:31 (Ref:3187430)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
im guessing this will vary depending on the country, but in Canada chances are if you have a cell phone its a 'smart phone' and you can already access live timing and depending on your other subscriptions can access a live stream as well. more nefarious people will be able to access live streams for free if they are so inclined.

thinking outside of the box just give me access to a wifi network and spare me the data charges and since FOM is already providing the footage to Fan Vision (a 3rd party) so they can stream those feeds to their units, why not cut out the middle man and let the promoters offer that service directly to ticket holders who want those feeds on their phones?

we are always talking about the poor promoters and how they get screwed by BE all the time...maybe they should start thinking about ways to both make more money and offer more value to the ticket buyers while they are at it.

sorry for the rant

edit: sorry just noticed another thread about this!
Old 10 Jan 2013, 21:35 (Ref:3187432)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If Le Mans is anything to go by the mobile networks die with those crowds!

Great idea though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
edit: sorry just noticed another thread about this!
Merged!
Old 10 Jan 2013, 21:39 (Ref:3187435)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I suspect this is Bernie/CVC trying to get more money out of the fans.
He's not doing very well then as currently he isn't selling anything! Still, good default position.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 22:05 (Ref:3187452)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
... Frankly without Fanvision it takes away about 65% of my motivation to attend a race ...
It was very good.

I do wish they had the slogan 'Fanvision makes a GP 185% better", or even "go to a GP it is over 50% better than watching it on a small telly".
Old 10 Jan 2013, 22:33 (Ref:3187459)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thanks for the merge

not sure how this is BE/FOM screwing anyone over. Fan Visions will just pass on the the extra licensing fees to the fans and keep their profits so aren't they the ones who are screwing the fans?

for a couple of dollars you can buy the live timing app for one race and have the live telemetry with live track positioning, you have TV screens all around the track and if thats not enough you can find a live stream on your phone (data charges suck which is why the promoter should be offering wifi - at a surcharge of course). heck FOM should already have an app that lets me stream multiple feeds (driver view etc and minus any commentary as not to offend the local broadcaster) to my tablet or mobile device but they dont which is another issue all together.

if its some form of app you can buy, as Adam pointed out, how this will effect the mobile networks is the unknown factor here for me but in downtown or inside city limit races this shouldnt be a problem. in fairness though most races dont fit this category.

but ignoring that for a moment, 5 years ago this was a great idea but today its kind of an antiquated concept (too me anyways). really arent you just paying for an extra something to carry around for stuff you can already get on your phone for less money?
Old 10 Jan 2013, 23:02 (Ref:3187479)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Fantastic. I just bought a FanVision thing in Austin. Bernie is screwing people over again. Pity everyone in F1 is sycophantic and so complimentary to him. No-one will ever have the balls to call him out.

Edit: in fairness, di Montezemolo did, although unfortunately he talked in disparaging terms about age rather than focusing on greed to the detriment of the sport.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3187590)   #12
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
but ignoring that for a moment, 5 years ago this was a great idea but today its kind of an antiquated concept (too me anyways). really arent you just paying for an extra something to carry around for stuff you can already get on your phone for less money?
Possibly, but current smart-phone batteries are pretty awful. On a sunny day with the screen-brightness turned up, i doubt you'd get to the end of a GP before the thing died.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 10:26 (Ref:3187645)   #13
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
WiFi or mobile data provision for an event such as a GP is a planning nightmare. Being charitable, let's say there are 100000 people on race day and in many countries - especially SE Asia - more than half will have some form of smartphone.

Working with a nice round figure of 50000 devices, permanently connected, you'd need a *lot* of WiFi access points. Mobile towers too. Assuming WiFi only, that the radio and supporting infrastructure is complete and can handle 50000 devices (!) the onward bandwidth is the limiting factor. At a video bit rate of 128kbps (HD is a lot higher) you'd need connectivity of 6.4Gbps just for video. Then there's social media, email, and everything else, so you rapidly need in excess of 10Gbps, which is enterprise territory. The termination kit for 10Gig WAN connections is of the order of 50 to 100 grand right now, and the line rental costs are very high. Add in the infrastructure cost and you'd quickly be looking towards several million pounds.

For one weekend a year that really isn't financially viable.

I'd love to know how the outgoing system worked, mind you. Being a specific technology with a smallish subscriber base obviously made it possible. If the video & data feed is plugged in locally then the external connectivity is irrelevant, thus simplifying things and bringing costs down.

Still, I couldn't use it anyway. At the British GP I have to keep the race order on my own, the same as I do at any race meeting I might be volunteering for. It gets easier the more you do it
Old 11 Jan 2013, 18:47 (Ref:3187846)   #14
DavidH
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dartmouth
DavidH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having bought my Fanvision last year, which is now useless, do I return it to Fanvision for a refund or send it to Bernie for a refund?
It is a great shame-the device is brilliant and really makes it easy to follow qualy and the race. Fanvision even sent me free battery when I complained that one battery would not last the whole day.
Several of the teams use them in the pits and for their guests in the Paddock Club-McLaren had a version made in their own colours and branding.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 19:18 (Ref:3187859)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
At Le Mans you just rented them. How much did it cost?
Old 11 Jan 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3187895)   #16
DavidH
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dartmouth
DavidH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It cost me £230 at the Australian Grand Prix. This was for the device but also it would work at any race during that season. For the subsequent years you pay a fee per race and register on line. I have used it at Albert Park and Silverstone for the last couple of years and expected to take to other races as well.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 03:29 (Ref:3188025)   #17
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Now you can buy a new device from another one of Bernie's mates!

Isn't planned obsolescence a *****!

(This auto-sensor makes a sentence look worse than the original!)
Old 12 Jan 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3188109)   #18
crooky
Racer

crooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
At Le Mans you just rented them. How much did it cost?
Well at Silverstone it cost £60 for the weekend which isn't too bad if you share the costs. Would love to see them return to Le Mans though because it gets rather tricky following multiple classes for so long.