Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Sep 2009, 16:29 (Ref:2550645)   #176
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
you might like this one...
Thanks Pieter
Old 29 Sep 2009, 23:04 (Ref:2550881)   #177
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Revival on ITV this evening [Sunday] not the finest of programmes, though it did show the Whitson Trophy start rather well and the 'incident'. I re-ran the incident through a number of times and it would appear far too much power applied from what was a jumped start, patch oil or pawls in diff lock crying enough. Mr 'Bean' addressing Medlesome as Prime Minister, would have been better uttered at the 'conference' during this week instead of Goodwood.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 07:08 (Ref:2550997)   #178
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I gather Mr Bean's comment was said with heavy irony....
Old 30 Sep 2009, 09:49 (Ref:2551074)   #179
klaus
Rookie

klaus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had a wonderfull weekend at Goodwood, first time for me at this place and very impressed from all , fantastic fast track , very nice people and cars all around, and perfect organisation, the very best event, i have ever been.
Saw some competitors from this forum, but all seemed to be very busy at their cars..... my wife and me (that was our complete team including an air-pump and a little plastic-bag of tools) were also very busy, but with looking all around, so much attractions everywhere.
After some years of beeing stored away, the Marcos ran quite well on it´s 10 years old dunlops, still burning the good leaded petrol from ????? in it´s huge 80 liter tank, as there was no time for a big preparing, when getting the invitation-parcel one week before this event.
there is a report on ITV on thursday and Saturday this week. Would be a good remembering of this wonderfull days, but we can´t get this programme over here in Germany.
It was fine to have been invited, as the last time , a Marcos Fastback has been raced at Goodwood, was in 1965, the driver of that car was pretty unknown than, name: Derek Bell.
[/URL

Klaus

Last edited by klaus; 30 Sep 2009 at 10:17.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 10:16 (Ref:2551088)   #180
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great post and pics, Klaus, thanks.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 10:18 (Ref:2551089)   #181
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Klaus, here's an action shot. Can you tell us a little bit more about the car?
Thanks
Pieter
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9215.1.jpg  
Old 30 Sep 2009, 11:52 (Ref:2551147)   #182
klaus
Rookie

hello peter,
thanks for your action shot, at moment i am collecting some from the web, including yours now.
The Marcos Fastback is the last modell, before the Volvo engined 1800 gt came in 1964.
Only 18 Fastback GT were built in 1963 and nearly all became racers, as they were very competitive in their class. engines were the ford anglia 1000 and cortina 1500 units, chassis was of course the fantastic plywood monocoque, at this modell even a more radical layout with no metal-subframes from front to rear. My Fastbacks/Gullwing still have their first chassis, never been restored or changed, so nobody should think , metal is a better choice for quality.
The Fastback Marcos was internationally homologated as GT already in 1963, as factory raced this modell outside uk in international long-distance-events.
Unfortunately there are only some few survivors, spread all over the world, at moment race-going prepared are only chassis 3012 (goodwood-car) and chassis 3018 (the ex Jem Marsh car), which had the pleasure to bring it to the big Marcos 50th anniversary at Prescott-Hill only 3 weeks before the Goodwood -adventure, first time for this one to get british tarmac under its wheels for 2 decades.

With the success of some 1800 gt cars in historic racing, the real racing career of its precessor modells seems to be neglected and forgotten in the uk, especially in contrast to the fact, that the well known 1800 gt never was internationally homolated in its period.
A pity is also : no Marcos Fastback is left in the UK, although this modell was so excessive and successfully raced there in the mid- 1960ies.
So i was astonished, to meet some nice grey haired men at the Goodwood paddock, thanking me for bringing back some memories with 3012.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2551151)   #183
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks very much for this, I had actually no idea that the car was so rare.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2551155)   #184
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Klaus how did you and the Ginettea's get away with running Dunlop M's ? I thought we had to run L's
Old 30 Sep 2009, 12:40 (Ref:2551182)   #185
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
great car, I think I almost prefer them to a G4 . . . .

Simon, I thought that issue was daft, all the cars on L's would run L's regardless, the G4's can't and never have been able to fit L's under ther arches . . . .and they only run 13" rims, always have done.

I'd assume the same applies for the MArcos, although I thought it was over tyred personally.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 12:43 (Ref:2551186)   #186
klaus
Rookie

hi simon,
saw your nice Turner , but found no good time to get to know you personally.
As appendix k period f cars , the rules for international FIA papers allow to go on M-dunlops, i had my FIA car passport at hand , which mentiones and prooves this type, perhaps it has something to do with the 13" rims, as there is no real suitable L-dunlop in correct size....?
On the other hand i do not know, which is the main difference between L and M type, think the mixture, but nevertheless, i think your tyres were much better than my old stone-hard M-type Dunlops, had to do 2 laps before getting something like grip. I would have changed at place at the tyre-supplier, if it had been a danger of raining, but so it was fun to play with the cars tail.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2551188)   #187
Henrik Pedersen
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Henrik Pedersen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just went through some old homologation papers.
Here the Ginetta G4 is just 998 cc., how come they ran 1500 cc. at Goodwood?
Or is this a question I shouldn´t have asked?
Old 30 Sep 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2551189)   #188
simon drabble
Veteran

yup!
Old 30 Sep 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2551194)   #189
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is the car on the grid at Goodwood (number 30, 1958 Volpini). Nice view. Here I am also with my driver, MAB.
Attached Thumbnails
Goodwood 09 de Graves and MAB.jpg   Goodwood 2009 grid.jpg  
Old 30 Sep 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2551203)   #190
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Henrik

I sat in the PAddock for 2 days with my FiA papers to hand at Goodwood, finally I put them safely back in the camper . . . then got hassled for them by a bod, 2 days after passing scrutineering. . . . I suggested he go and have a look at the 1700 Anglia on 45's running disks all round and a rear A frame while I retrived mine!

papers are less valuable than bog roll at just about every race meeting in the world at the moment.

back to the question, Fordwater has always been a club spec race anyway.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2551208)   #191
klaus
Rookie

henrik,
homologation is something to look carefully at:
old period international homologation was for international world-championship events like for example 1000km nürburgring, where Ginattas were often raced as GT cars. So small factories with limited budget homologated only one car internationally (so did Marcos , Diva , Lotus , Elva ...etc ), and 1000cc engines were often chosen, as the cheapest class went up to 1000/(1100 )cc (further classes were/1300/1600/2000 and more cc limit in those days).
If a car had a different engine/equipment as int.homologation papers tells, it was immediately a prototype in the prototype class with very hairy competitors, esp. the mighty Abarth and Alpine racers!!!
This historic fact you must not mix up with national events in uk in those days, where all sorts of engines were eligible.
At the cars provided with Ford engines , you had the luck of a big range of different capacities.
As Goodwood had no international status in those days, club racing was very common, so you could enter cars with not urgently international homologated equipment. And this is the sense of this years Fordwater trophy, to revive this old club-racing atmosphere at this wonderfull event.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2551209)   #192
simon drabble
Veteran

it has Joe you are right about Fordwater and don't get me wrong it was a great varied grid (pity the Spritzel Sprites were not there - I think they are so pretty!) but there was some confusion amongst the competitors - for example most of us ran L's yet the Ginetta's ran M's and we all ran to FIA spec yet the Ginetta's where to club spec.
I am not trying to get at the Ginetta owners because they clearly all believed that they could run like that so it was not one person being cheeky. As Autosport said it was a clean race and those who watched it said the front changed several times and it was a great race.
A certain ten tenther (not me!!) punched way above his car's weight to finish 4th...
Old 30 Sep 2009, 13:40 (Ref:2551223)   #193
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The two Talbots in Brooklands race were replicas so Goodwood is not perfect when it comes to only inviting Historic Cars.Remember its the show that matters for the fancy dress party.As long as its an entertaining race why worry about Historical Accuracy.I am sure their were unusual cars in most races and in some the drivers and trainers would have been done by the Stewards of the meeting if they had been run to the nags rules over the hill.This is the not so glorious bit. The show is all important.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 14:59 (Ref:2551276)   #194
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't share your antagonism towards the Goodwood Revival but I would agree that the grid for the Brooklands Trophy was poorly chosen in that it represented neither the Double Twelve nor the World's Fastest Sportcar races but a mish mash of the two with other odd cars thrown in. Yes, it was a most entertaining race but the entry read a bit like a list of the great and the good. I'm not carping, merely making an observation.

I think recreating the World's Fastest Sportcar Race would be a most exciting prospect.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 15:39 (Ref:2551317)   #195
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there on Friday for the first time in 9 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. A lot more people seemed to have dressed up and the garage displays were excellent. I spent most of the day drawing and photographing in the paddock. Here's Patrick's Frazer Nash...

... and Stirlings Kieft Norton...

.. and some photos...

Getting the bread out...

If you like them there's lots more here...
http://stefanssketchblog.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanm...7622426011398/
Old 30 Sep 2009, 15:54 (Ref:2551327)   #196
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very good and unusual photos Stefan, thanks for that.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 16:29 (Ref:2551351)   #197
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I'm no ginetta expert, but 997 was homologated for racing but HRS (club) cars can run, 1500 which is as most cars where produced, the 1500gt being a very good, affordable and popular engine out of the box from Ford, it was relatively light and cheap, and small, therefore it found its way into lots of little sports cars.

I've always wanted to find a Marcos with a Lawrencetune 1650, or an earlier TVR with a precrossflow, much better than that 1800 tractor lump from an MGB!
Old 30 Sep 2009, 19:17 (Ref:2551468)   #198
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
These days I am not particularly antagonistic towards Goodwood .Just think its an extremely well run business with a superb team of managers and organisers but no more than that,using old type cars as a focal point.
Many people like it or they would not enter but the majority of the punters do not know anything about cars but several short races keep them entertained.It seems when people say anything about Goodwood other than wonderful,great etc,etc it mostly gets taken out of context.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2551483)   #199
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
It's not somewhere I've been, but it strikes me as being a fancy dress garden party with cars?
Old 30 Sep 2009, 20:56 (Ref:2551490)   #200
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
It's not somewhere I've been, but it strikes me as being a fancy dress garden party with cars?
some people dress up like they are going to a carnival, but I think the reality of the 50ties and the sixties was more of a restrained (gloomy?) period regarding men's fashion. I would certainly not call that "fancy". Tweed jackets, a tie, and non-descript trousers best fit the required code. A cap is recommended, but (as you will certainly be able to imagine) it greatly interferes with a flash on a camera