Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jan 2013, 14:55 (Ref:3192233)   #26
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least Heikki's name is being brought up again. Marussia needs an experienced driver without a doubt. The team will greatly be set back without one. Inexperience costs money and can lose out on money also regardless if a driver brings money to the team.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 15:52 (Ref:3192265)   #27
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I'm suddenly starting to feel the whole 'we might just be better off with 20 cars' thing...
How about 3 car teams? I'd much rather have decent experienced drivers like Glock or Kovalainen in a 3rd seat at a top team rather than Chiltons and Razias clogging up the back of the grid.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 15:55 (Ref:3192267)   #28
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To me it seems a fairly logical choice, despite the fact it's a horrendous line-up if it's Razia and Chilton - nowhere near F1 class.

The fact remains that Marussia probably won't beat Caterham, again, next year - and with the extra funds needed to develop a 2014 car in tandem with a 2013 machine, it's going to be less of a burden when both your drivers are pumping in funds to make that happen, rather than one withdrawing a salary.

It makes sense and there's a lot of drivers who have money to offer for a drive and with just three seats available on the grid they can ask for a premium.

I liked Marussia due to Glock, Symonds and their underdog status compared to Caterham - who were laughably only slightly faster despite a largely inflated budget.

It's going to be painful if they are running around with two useless out-of-depth drivers in their seats next season. Hope they've got themselves someone useful, who will also be pumping in the cash...
Old 21 Jan 2013, 17:57 (Ref:3192334)   #29
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
It's the $300 million that the top teams are spending on their efforts that require the lesser teams, and that's not just Caterham and Marussia, to need pay drivers. Kobayashi wouldn't have found the need to raise £6 million to try and keep his seat at Sauber (a team arguably better than Mercedes) if that wasn't the case.
As unpopular as Max Mosley was he tried pretty hard to get the teams to limit the huge spending spree ..

It's a dreadful shame to see a driver like Timo Glock having to leave a team because of a lack of money, when are they going to learn that they cannot sustain these spending patterns ?
Old 21 Jan 2013, 18:02 (Ref:3192337)   #30
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Tough break for Glock. I hope he gets a competitive ride somewhere - if Force India isn't a runner then the DTM with BMW would be good.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 18:06 (Ref:3192343)   #31
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Force India would be good for Timo, if they survive that is..
Old 21 Jan 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3192409)   #32
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
As unpopular as Max Mosley was he tried pretty hard to get the teams to limit the huge spending spree ..

It's a dreadful shame to see a driver like Timo Glock having to leave a team because of a lack of money, when are they going to learn that they cannot sustain these spending patterns ?
Yup, I was a big fan of the 09 rule proposal of the budget cuts. Really thought that would have been great!

It's a pretty simple choice - 40M and technical freedom, or restrictions with your borderline unlimited money? Are you smart enough to get the most out of the limited unrestricted zones?

Would have been very interesting to see how that panned out.

Selby
Old 22 Jan 2013, 02:37 (Ref:3192530)   #33
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Yes it would, but politics, as always, got in the way.

If you want F1 to remain a sport that requires pay drivers, rather than talented drivers, then it should stay the way that it is with regard to overall driver quality. It should also stay the way that it is with regard to the overall competitiveness of all of the teams in F1.

I hear words from the mouth of Montezemolo with regard to not letting the back marker teams be the lowest common denominator, but isn't asking those teams to come up with $300 million per season just a little bit arrogant of him? He then makes assertions that Red Bull are spending too much money. Well, right back at yer, Monty!
Old 22 Jan 2013, 11:23 (Ref:3192663)   #34
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i see it both ways to be honest. on the one hand, it should always be the teams responsibility to bring money. first and foremost. on the other hand, i don't think it's unreasonable to be happy to allow drivers to bring personal sponsors. but to rely on them for funding isn't quite "right". teams are the ones who have big marketing and commercial departments, drivers don't have the resources.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 12:00 (Ref:3192681)   #35
p-matt
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
In a bit of mindless speculation, it is curious to note that Sebastien Buemi has tweeted that he will be making an importance announcement soon.
Looks like that's the announcement that he'll continue as Red Bull reserve. I thought this announcement was made a few weeks ago?
Old 22 Jan 2013, 13:16 (Ref:3192717)   #36
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Glock will be joining the BMW DTM test at Valencia this week.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 14:38 (Ref:3192755)   #37
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Glock will be joining the BMW DTM test at Valencia this week.
That's got to be a kick in the teeth for Algy, he was hoping for the last BMW drive so badly!
Old 23 Jan 2013, 11:13 (Ref:3193172)   #38
p-matt
Veteran

In light of Glock-gate it's got me thinking who is bring money to teams and who isn't.

I think most of the drivers in the top teams aren't, except for Grosjean and maybe Perez.

Hulkenberg and Bottas are probably the only drivers in the midfield that aren't bringing money, but could be wrong on that.
Old 24 Jan 2013, 19:59 (Ref:3193832)   #39
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be strictly accurate, you could say that Alonzo brings Santander to Ferrari.
quite appropriate really, that a bank who's directors are been investigated for fraud back a driver who has been involved in blackmailing his own team and getting a team mate to deliberately crash.
Old 25 Jan 2013, 00:45 (Ref:3193962)   #40
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
A sad state in F1, when even Sauber push out Kobayashi for some guy because he's got Carlos Slim behind him, and Kobayashi was capable of getting money. They drop him for a guy who hasn't really shined in the Force India and the 'rich kid'? Small teams are a joke it seems. All the backing they get from their pay drivers is a drop in the bucket compared to what Red Bull spend. How do they expect to survive if they don't get the results? That's the sad part.
Old 25 Jan 2013, 07:20 (Ref:3194044)   #41
p-matt
Veteran

What season were you watching last year if you say the Hulk didn't shine at Force India?!
Old 25 Jan 2013, 07:28 (Ref:3194053)   #42
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
He wasn't anything special in my view. He scored 3 more points than Kobayashi. So they drop him for someone that scored just about the same amount? That's a sideways move as is his going from Force to Sauber.
Old 25 Jan 2013, 10:04 (Ref:3194115)   #43
p-matt
Veteran

He scored 3 more points in an inferior car. He was much more consistent than Kobayashi too.
Old 25 Jan 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3194119)   #44
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see Timo Glock has now got a DTM drive with BMW. I hope it goes well for him.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105269
Old 25 Jan 2013, 12:11 (Ref:3194160)   #45
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Good for Glock and the DTM, bad for F1.

Scary, also, that Kobayashi has a pot of £6 million and still can't get a drive.
Old 26 Jan 2013, 14:30 (Ref:3194492)   #46
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would concur that I don't see the fuss about Hulkenberg yet. He's very good, but I thought his first half of the season went unnoticed. Although if anything I should be giving credit to people for cutting him some slack and accepting that he wasn't necessarily beating di Resta early doors.