Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 23 Sep 2013, 02:06 (Ref:3307926)   #176
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
This is just a version of the USAC schedule in the late 1970's with doubleheaders and such tricks.

If this was a series people wanted to see they could write their own terms.
Thats probably an over simplistic view of the current marketplace sport exists in but agreed they arent negotiating from a position of power.

Doubleheaders have been met with support from promoters so I wouldnt be calling it a trick. I wouldnt want them for every round next year but the fact that other promoters want them for their events as its helping with sponsors, crowds etc can only be a good thing.
Old 25 Sep 2013, 08:49 (Ref:3309107)   #177
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
If this was a series people wanted to see they could write their own terms.
Well, mountainstar, I would like to watch this series but in my location in Germany, it is not available on free TV, and only since Sonoma, it is shown by some digital pay TV station. And since I cannot watch the races that are held in Pacific and Mountain time because of living on Central European time, pay TV is not an option. So I must deal with crummy webstreams every race.

Fact is, IndyCar has shown better racing in 2012 and 2013 than any other International major open wheel racing series category, and the reasons for that are their spec chassis, their Firestone tyre compounds and the way they maintain their aerodynamics rules now on ovals.

I understand Penske, Ganassi and Andretti might not like it that others have been winning races in the spec car this year, too, but Brazil, won by Sato for AJ Foyt's team, won't be back, and Baltimore, won by Simon Pagenaud for Sam Schmidt's team, won't be back either - and Mike Conway who won for Dale Coyne at Detroit was and still is a part-timer, and Tony Kanaan who won the Indy 500 for KV does not have a deal yet for next year, so the Big 3 should not have much to worry about regarding their dominance of this series.
Yet, it's more fun to see the smaller teams beat them on the track.
Old 25 Sep 2013, 10:29 (Ref:3309144)   #178
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Brazil, won by Sato for AJ Foyt's team
Brazil was won by Hinchcliffe of Andretti Autosport...
Old 25 Sep 2013, 11:02 (Ref:3309154)   #179
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcostraz View Post
Brazil was won by Hinchcliffe of Andretti Autosport...
Now that's a real testament to the lousy quality of the stream Yannick has had to endure.
Old 25 Sep 2013, 11:36 (Ref:3309166)   #180
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Now that's a real testament to the lousy quality of the stream Yannick has had to endure.
No, I just got my stats wrong. I guess it's been a long night yesterday. This is one for the bloopers reel - if there was one on a forum like this.
Old 25 Sep 2013, 13:24 (Ref:3309210)   #181
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Firestone 550 at TMS will be the Firestone 600 next year.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/09/...-Speedway-race
Old 26 Sep 2013, 08:40 (Ref:3309503)   #182
Flo aus N
Rookie

Flo aus N should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The Firestone 550 at TMS will be the Firestone 600 next year.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/09/...-Speedway-race
well, then they could race the legendary Firehawk 600.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpGsTyv96Rk
Old 26 Sep 2013, 20:36 (Ref:3309781)   #183
ChuckB
Rookie

ChuckB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

So Derrick Walker calls 2014 transitional,
I sure hope so, but I have my doubts. How many years have we heard this? Especially when it comes to Road America? I want a guarantee of some kind Derrick, if it doesn't happen what do I get for wasting another year?
Old 26 Sep 2013, 21:26 (Ref:3309799)   #184
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo aus N View Post
well, then they could race the legendary Firehawk 600.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpGsTyv96Rk
That was the straw that broke CART's back.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 21:44 (Ref:3309801)   #185
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
That was the straw that broke CART's back.
Wasn't it also the pop off valve controversy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIrSu1LUoOw
Old 26 Sep 2013, 22:22 (Ref:3309817)   #186
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus666 View Post
Wasn't it also the pop off valve controversy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIrSu1LUoOw
The pop off valve controversy didn't help as it came hard on the heals of the Firehawk 600 but the real damage was done when Speedway Motorsports sued CART in May of 2001 for breach of contract, which included damages for ticket refunds and the $2.1 million sanction fee as well as compensation for promotional expenses and lost profits.

Both sides settled for an undisclosed amount though it was estimated between $5 – $7 million and contracts for future races in 2002 and 2003 were cancelled. On top of that CART reported it spent $3.5 million on legal costs, resulting in a $1.7 million loss for the third quarter of 2001.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 11:02 (Ref:3309988)   #187
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
A.J. Foyt against Indy road course race before the 500 in 2014.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110148
Old 27 Sep 2013, 12:55 (Ref:3310042)   #188
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like another moribund IndyCar season is shaping up for 2014. As of now, I personally have no interest in watching any of it past the Indy 500. In fact, I am kind of rooting for Tudor USCR to overtake IndyCar in popularity. After all, what's there not to like about USCR? Racing on North America's best road courses: check. Great looking cars and variety: check. Lots of close racing: almost certainly check (based on current AMLS and Grand Am experience).

PS: The closely spaced Indianapolis and California events do look strange..
Old 30 Sep 2013, 20:14 (Ref:3311183)   #189
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2014 calendar so far:

March 28-30: St. Petersburg
April 11-13: Long Beach
May 8-10: Indianapolis (Brickyard GP?)
May 25: Indianapolis 500
May 30-June 1: Detroit
June 6-7: Texas
July 5-6: Pocono
July 18-20: Toronto
August 1-3: Mid-Ohio

Curt Cavin says that Barber, Milwaukee, Iowa, Sonoma, Houston and Fontana are "still to be announced". Fontana is expected for September 5-7.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 22:39 (Ref:3311229)   #190
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
2014 calendar so far:

March 28-30: St. Petersburg
April 11-13: Long Beach
May 8-10: Indianapolis (Brickyard GP?)
May 25: Indianapolis 500
May 30-June 1: Detroit
June 6-7: Texas
July 5-6: Pocono
July 18-20: Toronto
August 1-3: Mid-Ohio

Curt Cavin says that Barber, Milwaukee, Iowa, Sonoma, Houston and Fontana are "still to be announced". Fontana is expected for September 5-7.
I can't say I'm overly excited by this.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 22:56 (Ref:3311235)   #191
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't mind the calender bar that Indy roadcourse nonsense and the big hole in the series left by the presumable absence of Brazil. Brazil is a place that could reap a little harvest, I'd be putting all efforts into retaining it. Get Helio and Tony to go beg the governor or something.

Too many uncertainties. I appreciate a few "TBC's" at this point but they should be doing better than that. I fear a sponsorship exodus triggered by GoDaddy's departure - these sponsors are going to sober up with the dismal ratings eventually. If they get over this winter fair juice to them. They should be playing up Montoya to the hilt.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 00:52 (Ref:3311266)   #192
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I can't say I'm overly excited by this.
Were you not excited by the 2013 races?
Old 1 Oct 2013, 01:04 (Ref:3311268)   #193
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Were you not excited by the 2013 races?
Not all of them.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 01:42 (Ref:3311272)   #194
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Not all of them.
But the majority?
Old 1 Oct 2013, 15:15 (Ref:3311500)   #195
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
But the majority?
Unfortunately I missed a few races, for one reason or another but on the whole the racing has been a vast improvement on what went on before but I remember seeing better.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 15:20 (Ref:3311503)   #196
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I see Laguna Seca has lost the MotoGP race for 2014. It would behoove the IRL to take advantage of this.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ce=mostpopular
Old 1 Oct 2013, 22:58 (Ref:3311699)   #197
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Unfortunately I missed a few races, for one reason or another but on the whole the racing has been a vast improvement on what went on before but I remember seeing better.
But good enough to be excited about on the whole.

I would have thought that would have been enough to be interested or excited in the 2014 schedule which still has good venues, new drivers & a proven package to deliver good racing.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 23:28 (Ref:3311704)   #198
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
So...

Quote:
The Grand Prix of Indianapolis will be the name of new IndyCar Series event to be run on the Indianapolis road course.

This will be a very different event than the '500' and will be one of three major weekends of excitement at IMS in May.

Practice and qualifying are scheduled for Friday, May 9, with the race Saturday, May 10. The first day of practice for the 98th Indianapolis 500 is scheduled for Sunday, May 11.

The race will feature a standing start and will run clockwise, the opposite of the Indianapolis 500, creating even more diverse competition during the month.

All series in the Mazda Road to Indy will compete during the event, placing a singular spotlight on all levels of North American open-wheel racing.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 05:03 (Ref:3311748)   #199
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
And here's the map of the course.

Good news: turns 5-7 will be bypassed, so after turn 4 there will be an esses into the backstraight.

Bad news: the last corner won't be the oval turn 1, but a modified version of the MotoGP detour.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 07:28 (Ref:3311776)   #200
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
So, they've essentially just cut all the corners. 'Turn 5&6'..... Turns? Come oooon.

Shame they are not using Indy T1, the talk of the test was the massive tow you'd get, would have made for some spicy action.