Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jul 2023, 16:17 (Ref:4168391)   #26
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
As to the Pitt film - I got a close look at one of the cars in the Merc paint shop a couple of weeks ago, the way they'd tweaked the base GP2 car was really clever. We did hear though that the engine noise will be overdubbed as the cars still have the older V8 in them!
did you take that to mean that all the cars will have their sound overdubbed to match the V8s in the GP2 cars or that all the cars would be overdubbed to sound like the current F1 cars?

or even will all the cars just just be overdubbed to sound like the more visceral engines sounds of the past?

either way, a very very tall order overdubbing sound and having it match the reality of being there particularly with how sounds bounce around the track, cars off in the distance, different notes from different manus engines etc
Old 14 Jul 2023, 16:57 (Ref:4168404)   #27
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
did you take that to mean that all the cars will have their sound overdubbed to match the V8s in the GP2 cars or that all the cars would be overdubbed to sound like the current F1 cars?

or even will all the cars just just be overdubbed to sound like the more visceral engines sounds of the past?
Given their desire to be authentic, I would assume they are going to match the GP2 car to the current F1 cars

Quote:
either way, a very very tall order overdubbing sound and having it match the reality of being there particularly with how sounds bounce around the track, cars off in the distance, different notes from different manus engines etc
Two thoughts...

1. I doesn't have to be accurate. It just has to be good enough. It's not like anyone is going to be doing spectral analysis.

2. I expect those who are responsible, if they care to make it sound right, they will be able to do so. For the sound design staff, that is all they do. Mixing dialog, ambient sounds, ADR, etc.

Richard
Old 14 Jul 2023, 17:10 (Ref:4168409)   #28
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Given their desire to be authentic, I would assume they are going to match the GP2 car to the current F1
That is how I understood it.
Old 14 Jul 2023, 17:54 (Ref:4168420)   #29
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Two thoughts...

1. I doesn't have to be accurate. It just has to be good enough. It's not like anyone is going to be doing spectral analysis.

2. I expect those who are responsible, if they care to make it sound right, they will be able to do so. For the sound design staff, that is all they do. Mixing dialog, ambient sounds, ADR, etc.

Richard
fair to be sure but it is still a difficult thing to do properly and people do notice. an accurate representation within a 3d soundscape/dolby atmos equipped theater will most likely be something 'us' type of fans will be keeping a ear open for no? it adds to the level of immersion and thus adds to believability.

maybe not the most important thing to focus on, but right up there imo.

Ron Howard on Rush:

Even the sound design in Rush syncs with the cars on screen. Ron Howard said, “…everybody who loves F1 talks about the sound. If you go to a race, you hear the cars before you [saw] them, and you’ve already had an experience before you laid your eyes on the cars. And it was vital to get it right. People can tell the difference between the various engines.” When you see Lauda’s Ferrari in the film, you hear Lauda’s Ferrari. The sound recordist picked up the audio of all the cars.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/archiv...t-of-1970s-f1/
Old 15 Jul 2023, 09:12 (Ref:4168478)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

But as with 'Le Mans '66' the social media accuracy police will rip it to shreds if it isn't.....
Old 15 Jul 2023, 09:41 (Ref:4168486)   #31
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Two thoughts...
Its Hollywood. Its a movie not a documentary. Think I'll watch it twice if not more. 1 and 2 are good points imo.
He even unzips his suit at the top, because the man is biologically flame-resistant! To hell with it!
Pitt looks in F1 gear. The man's strutting across the grass in a white suit, has ads for god-knows-what all over it

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...ailer-details/

Last edited by Gerard C; 15 Jul 2023 at 10:03. Reason: If you're asked, not a word!
Old 16 Jul 2023, 10:30 (Ref:4168599)   #32
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So who were the two drivers of the Mercedes F2/F1 hybrids?
Old 16 Jul 2023, 22:36 (Ref:4168699)   #33
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It's not like anyone is going to be doing spectral analysis.
someone on the internet will
Old 17 Jul 2023, 15:21 (Ref:4168781)   #34
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
will now have to wait longer as the current writers and actors strike has forced them to shut down production. depending on how long it goes on for, they might not get the chance to film at any other tracks this year and if it pushes on to next year, will this years footage from Silverstone still be unusable as cars/logos/sponsors/drivers etc change from season to season?
Old 17 Jul 2023, 15:27 (Ref:4168782)   #35
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
will now have to wait longer as the current writers and actors strike has forced them to shut down production. depending on how long it goes on for, they might not get the chance to film at any other tracks this year and if it pushes on to next year, will this years footage from Silverstone still be unusable as cars/logos/sponsors/drivers etc change from season to season?
That is a very good question regarding impacts to filming during this season and I guess continuity within the movie. For example, if they push off to 2024, and team livery changes, can they successfully mix 2023 and 2024 footage?

Richard
Old 17 Jul 2023, 17:46 (Ref:4168808)   #36
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I expect they will find a way,but in all honesty,how many of the audience do you suppose will be aware?I have seen a wide enough selection of Hollywood's output to be able to guess which way the storyline will move.AI could actually generate the script for 98% of them as they are so formulaic.Do we seriously expect anything other than an American to succeed in the fictional series?There will be a baddie and no doubt some romantic intermingling somewhere in the mix.The teams that cooperate with the producers will expect to be shown in a favourable light and if the box office receipts are good,expect a sequel.I anticipate it arriving at a level somewhere between Rush and Drivel.
Old 17 Jul 2023, 17:55 (Ref:4168809)   #37
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
AI could actually generate the script for 98% of them as they are so formulaic.
That's one of the reasons they've all gone on strike!

They're formulaic because they make the people who already have all the money even more money.
Old 17 Jul 2023, 18:02 (Ref:4168810)   #38
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
That's one of the reasons they've all gone on strike!

They're formulaic because they make the people who already have all the money even more money.
Exactly. With SAG-AFTRA joining, maybe it generates enough industry pain that it is resolved quickly. I expect there is a risk of some productions not restarting if the strike drags on long enough.

Richard
Old 17 Jul 2023, 22:25 (Ref:4168834)   #39
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
So who were the two drivers of the Mercedes F2/F1 hybrids?
Warren Hughes, Jon Lancaster and Luciano Bacheta.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 08:57 (Ref:4168866)   #40
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
Warren Hughes, Jon Lancaster and Luciano Bacheta.

Thanks. I since found out they were Craig Dolby and Luciano Bacheta. Don't know about the other two.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 09:51 (Ref:4168870)   #41
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
What, it wasn’t Brad Pitt - as Will Buxton wanted to have me believe???
Old 18 Jul 2023, 10:51 (Ref:4168875)   #42
Richard C
Veteran

I think Pitt was driving at some point. Albeit slowly.

Richard
Old 18 Jul 2023, 13:01 (Ref:4168888)   #43
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
I think Pitt was driving at some point. Albeit slowly.

Richard
Really, to what end?
Old 18 Jul 2023, 13:03 (Ref:4168889)   #44
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Should have got Dirk Pitt instead, he'd have showed 'em!
Old 18 Jul 2023, 13:40 (Ref:4168902)   #45
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Really, to what end?

I would imagine it was so that they could capture real footage of him possibly driving along the pit lane and getting out of the car without having to rely solely on CGI. And he probably just wanted to as well.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 13:46 (Ref:4168903)   #46
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Really, to what end?
Likely to actually show him in the car as a practical effect vs. CGI? Given it being hard to see driver faces due to their helmet who knows if it would be possible to actually see him, but then again who knows what the camera setup is.

There is at least one video online that claims to show Pitt driving during the GB GP, but I don't think it is him. It shows the two movie cars driving relatively closely together. I expect that was the pro drivers.

I think he may have done some low speed driving at some point during the weekend. In the Brundle interview he did say he had driven the car on the circuit and had some trips through the grass as well and joked that any off course excursions by him are purposeful.

Richard
Old 18 Jul 2023, 13:54 (Ref:4168904)   #47
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Really, to what end?
The director wants shots of the driver from inside the cockpit under the stresses and strains of driving a single-seater at speed, without having to rely on a double.

When the film is released, they are trying to avoid audience comments such as 'you can tell that's not him driving'.

Pitt admits himself that he was not at full speed, but not slow either: “Tell you what’s amazing about it, you’ll see the cameras mounted all over the car. The shots, you’ve never seen speed, you’ve never seen just the G-forces like this. [...] I don’t know if you can call mine a hot lap, I call it kind of a warm lap, and I’ve taken a few unintentional tours through the grass, but it’s just been such a high. The guys have really prepared me well. There were a couple of corners I could see the stands, and on the straights, you have a little bit of time to kind of look around, but I’m really focused on the lines and what we’re trying to create in these moments.”
Old 18 Jul 2023, 14:15 (Ref:4168906)   #48
peebee2
Veteran

I’m sure they’ll use the electric powered ones for most of the shots you refer to, or the ones with the old F3 engines at most.

Difficult to believe anyone would insure a 59 year old actor driving a modified 600 bhp GP2 car. In fact I’d be surprised if he was capable of even getting it out of the garage.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 14:19 (Ref:4168907)   #49
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I’m sure they’ll use the electric powered ones for most of the shots you refer to.
The statements made by the guy in the car, and spending the money, beg to differ. But sure, we'll go internet expert over dude who's actually been seen in the car, with cameras, and has the video to support him. And even if they don't use any of it, what's it to you?? Were you the extra they were gonna use, were you somehow inline for that time on track, did they steal your car?? If he wants to have fun with the car he has at his disposal why does it require YOUR approval of the ends, maybe he just is tired of hearing internet experts cry and put a helmet on. Maybe he wants to know a bit of what he perceives the speed and look as to know what he is looking for first hand
Old 18 Jul 2023, 14:20 (Ref:4168908)   #50
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I believe that most of, if not all, his driving was done on Monday, when the producers had booked the circuit for filming.