Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 14 Sep 2006, 02:24 (Ref:1709893)   #301
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr fan
our motel is just up the road from st peter's cathedral.
Except it's at St Paul's
Old 14 Sep 2006, 03:10 (Ref:1709903)   #302
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i meant st pauls that was a typo.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 03:52 (Ref:1709916)   #303
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd too like to thank all the staff at MN, for a great publication released yesterday. Some great yarns, especially liked the one that Bondy told about Brocky holding it flat over Bitupave in the XU1.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 14 Sep 2006, 04:40 (Ref:1709931)   #304
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been reproached for everything save the weather
and in turn my own neck has sought a scimitar.

But soon,I was told,I'll lose my epaulets altogether
and dwindle into a little star
I'll twinkle among the wires,a sky's lieutenant,
and hide in clouds when thunder roars,
blind to the troops as they fold their pennant
and run,pursued by the pen,in droves.
With nothing around to care for,it's of no import
if you are blitzed,encircled,reduced to nil.

from "Taps" by Joseph Brodsky

Next time I'm camped at Reid Park in a night thunderstorm
Half stung around the fire I'll think about Brock in 1972 in
that XU1,the wet road,Moffat hungry....
Old 14 Sep 2006, 07:24 (Ref:1709963)   #305
Roundy Mooney
Veteran

Ireland
Roundy Mooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A true legend, his in car interviews still bring a smile to my face thinking about them now.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 21:11 (Ref:1710511)   #306
adz_34
Racer

Australia
Somewhere out there
adz_34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Brock was my hero ever since I was able to walk and talk all I ever wanted to do was race cars and be like "Brockie", words cannot describe the pain I have been feeling these last fey days.

R.I.P. my hero

and to everyone else as Brockie would say 'Live life'
Old 15 Sep 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1710927)   #307
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Farewell to a motorsports legend.
R.I.P. Peter Brock
Old 15 Sep 2006, 23:52 (Ref:1711493)   #308
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamF1
Found this on youtube (hope this isn't a repost):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOTSFrlVG4s

I wish it were 1991 again...
The driver fought the car thru the whole lap (or what we saw of it anyway....) I wish they had footage of the hot laps in the Sierras, they were scary
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Sep 2006, 02:20 (Ref:1711530)   #309
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is I think my earliest memory of Bathurst, I can remember sitting on the couch in the caravan (remember I was 1 then) and seeing Brocky wrestling that car around.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 16 Sep 2006, 02:54 (Ref:1711548)   #310
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
i was 1 then to that wasnt my first memory of bathurst though my first memorey was when brocky crashed his vp up the top just before skyline.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 03:45 (Ref:1711562)   #311
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ah yes just a few minutes before my mate (holden fan) who i was with said i just wish someone comes round that corner and crashes (that was where we were sitting). when he got his wish he said i meant any but brock.

be specific when you wish for things
Old 16 Sep 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1711850)   #312
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
i was watching on tv and everyone was telling me how good he was i didnt understand much but i understood peter brock is the best racer and when he crashed i was doubting that but it didnt take long to convince me he was the best driver.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 23:52 (Ref:1712065)   #313
wrangler
Rookie

wrangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
I'm still getting over the shock. My father, on holidays in France, is devastated - he has known Brockie since his very first race. I met him when I was like 8 years old.
Jeeze - what do you say ... I can't recall more than 2 or 3 times when Brockie actually crashed ... he had as good car control as anybody, I reckon.

Anyway, I'll just share one story which really sums up Peter Brock in my humble opinion:

I had the pleasure of spending a Bathurst weekend with none other than Peter Janson's entourage in his double decker bus. All the trappings - booze, food, girls etc and it happened to be e great race for Janson as well - it was the year he followed Brockie around for the last few laps culminating in his glorious 360 degree spin at the finish which saw Brockie not being filmed taking the flag. Now any normal human being would get a bit annoyed at this, I'm sure.
Later on in the evening, after much frivolity, one of the girls (my sister in fact) suggested that we really should congratulate Brock and see what they were up to. The Captain stood up said very loudly "Everybody ... off to Brocks". The entire party (maybe 30 of us) marched over to the Holden tent to do just that. Upon reaching the entrance, we were told in no uncertain terms by the man guarding it to **** OFF. Brock spied Janson and Adrian and intervened - "Everybody in" he said. Now we were 73 sheets to the wind I can tell you but he was a trusting soul, PB. He didnt have to do that and could well have pretended not to notice but he was'nt that sort of guy.
Funny conclusion - Brock said to Janson that he knew what he was doing (getting his sponsors on TV) but that he was cruising to make sure the car was OK. The Captain said "Cruising? ****, I was driving my arse off to keep up".

So good bye Brockie (50% of the reason V8SC is popular by MAKING Ford v. Holden), you will be sorely missed by ALL race fans. You were one of the fastest, cleanest and best race drivers ever. I hope they scatter your ashes down conrod where they belong.
That's a good Brock story, I like them like that.
Most who have known PB (that was how he was known to his friends) for a very long time will know that there were many sides to the man.
He will be missed. But please don't ascribe the V8 Supercar Holden v Falcon rubbish to him, that was Mike Raymond's doing. BTW, what is your sister doing now?
Old 17 Sep 2006, 03:21 (Ref:1712097)   #314
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see Ant West wearing "05" on his helmet in the 250cc GP at PI today.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 08:00 (Ref:1712127)   #315
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
and the surf board in the garage.but the helmet looked good.

the XU1 was well done with james driving it.

i liked the plaque as well.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 08:07 (Ref:1712130)   #316
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw three heads bobbing around in the car... Who else was in there?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 18 Sep 2006, 09:21 (Ref:1712734)   #317
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doing a bit of Spring cleaning this evening, I ran over a copy of the July 2006 issue of Racer Australia magazine, it has a story about the Daytona Coupe, with a picture on the front page and quote

"Brocky says... This car should be banned! It's too much fun"

Pretty profetic words.

(Hoping no-one reads this as me having a go at the car, its manufacturers or trying to cause an issue, but Im sure someone will!)
Old 18 Sep 2006, 13:32 (Ref:1712903)   #318
roscoe
Rookie

Australia
Hampshire, England
roscoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter... you inspired my whole life and were everything I wanted to be... a racer... a sportsman... a gentleman. I can't believe you're gone. R.I.P.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1713058)   #319
lear45xr
Rookie

Northern Ireland
lear45xr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could not believe it when i saw about peter brocks death in autosport.
a true legend. shame the aussies have lost two legends in as many weeks steve irwin the other, the world will be a sadder place with out them both!!
Old 18 Sep 2006, 23:06 (Ref:1713294)   #320
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't worry, I can see where you're coming from with that one. It does send a shiver down the spine to read it.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 08:09 (Ref:1713477)   #321
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you hear the radio interview Brocky did with 6PR in Perth I think it was the day before the crash? In it he was glowing about the power and the safety features including the ABS, now that was chilling!!
Old 19 Sep 2006, 08:37 (Ref:1713496)   #322
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
It is always so freaky when something like that happens, and the sad thing is it happens a lot. Do we know subconsiously that we are going to die before it happens?
Old 19 Sep 2006, 11:27 (Ref:1713650)   #323
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well what can I say.

This post I am writing right now is the 10,000th post i have made on Ten Tenths (Its only taken me 7 years to do it LOL)

but what better way to mark my 10,000th post than in a thread about the life of Peter Brock.

today was a sad day and I have vented my full emotions elsewhere on this forum but not in public.

all I can say is I will Love you forever Pete and you are and always will be deeply missed and my heart is forever broken.

RIP Brocky you were and ARE my ultimate hero
Old 20 Sep 2006, 02:19 (Ref:1714249)   #324
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
It is always so freaky when something like that happens, and the sad thing is it happens a lot. Do we know subconsiously that we are going to die before it happens?
No.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 03:34 (Ref:1714272)   #325
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you are given as many opportunities to make public utterances as PB was and you continue to compete in an essentially dangerous pastime,it's only going to be a matter of time before all the other forgotten non-prophetic off the cuff remarks back up in the system and suddenly what seems an amazing coincidence gets noticed.

we cared about PB in a special way-maybe we won't see his like in Motorsport again.