Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Mar 2017, 07:55 (Ref:3717701)   #1176
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As fans you DO have a choice

If you all start the sheep herding and just pay for it relentlessly like Hindu cows, it will just carry on getting more expensive. Move around to different companies meaning you have to sub to different ones too.

If you don't and you fall away in your droves they will have to do something about it.

You have to understand these sports are sold like milk is to supermarkets. If you can make a series sound amazing, cretinous tv companies will get sold down the river just like granny with her fake PPI claim does every day.

They are sold on figures that don't add up, ratings that are make believe and numbers that are thrown at people to make it look like an unreal deal!

If the series booms like MotoGP has, you get a good deal like BT did, if it flops like speedway or WRC, then you get a dud that gets passed around like a poor relation.

It is up to us as fans to not pay, or suffer the consequences.

We were not consulted in this route, it was just decided by FOM, Dorna, IMG or whoever needed to make more money, and the only way they could was to sell the rights to people. The figures were fine, ratings were fine, just they weren't making enough money from the host tv company, so they put it out to tender. We were not asked, we are being asked to pay for their greed, that's all.

Time to put a stop to it once and for all.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 09:44 (Ref:3717717)   #1177
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Thats very true. If the first "pay per view" boxing events of the mid 90's had flopped, then we wouldn't have had to put up with it, however enough people with more money than sense was willing to fork out for the "event" and a precedent was set. If everyone had voted with their feet and refused to buy it, it would have died a death and the sport would still be on either pay channels or free to air TV.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 14:44 (Ref:3717786)   #1178
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
It's arguable that the tech within the available sat boxes wasn't quite mature enough, as only the Main channel and not the Multiscreens were recordable, and If I remember correctly it was massively over priced at over £10 per race.
Isn't £10 a race cheaper than now? If I was to pay for Sky, I'm pretty sure it'd cost more than £20-£30 a month to get it. If I get each race individually through NowTV, it would cost £7 just for the race, without practice and qualifying. A pass for the whole weekend would cost £11.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 15:25 (Ref:3717790)   #1179
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Isn't £10 a race cheaper than now? If I was to pay for Sky, I'm pretty sure it'd cost more than £20-£30 a month to get it. If I get each race individually through NowTV, it would cost £7 just for the race, without practice and qualifying. A pass for the whole weekend would cost £11.
It was over £10 per race, I can't remember if that was Sunday only or that price included Sat qually as well. I'm pretty sure it did not include practice sessions.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 16:20 (Ref:3717816)   #1180
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Don't forget that this was 20 years ago, so £10 was a bigger deal than now. And as a Virgin Media customer, adding the sports package - just to get the F1 channel, because Sky do not seem to supply it as a standalone channel - would cost me an extra £31.75 per month. And no way is that value for money, as none of the other sports channels are of any interest to me.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 19:34 (Ref:3717870)   #1181
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watch other channels other than just F1 or indeed just sports so I'm not paying £x just for F1. I'm paying for a whole TV service enormously better than the tripe Channels 1 to 5 trot out as alleged "entertainment"
Old 10 Mar 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3717873)   #1182
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Don't forget that this was 20 years ago, so £10 was a bigger deal than now. And as a Virgin Media customer, adding the sports package - just to get the F1 channel, because Sky do not seem to supply it as a standalone channel - would cost me an extra £31.75 per month. And no way is that value for money, as none of the other sports channels are of any interest to me.
I'm in the same boat as you. Virgin Media customer, with fantastic internet for a cheap price. I'm certainly not able to afford £30 a month for F1. Does that make me less of a fan? I don't think so, despite some comments made here. Fans not being able to afford the coverage is a reflection on the series, not the fans.

To put £30 in perspective, the entire WEC season (9x6 hour races, plus the Le Mans 24) is £40. Blancpain is free for the entire year. Creventic is free for the entire year. BTCC is free on ITV4 (also available online on ITVs website). ELMS is free, IMSA is free (outside the US), etc etc. These series are no where near the scale of F1, so obviously could never charge what F1 does. But if you want to know why I now watch other series, but can only dip into F1, there's the reason why - I simply cannot afford or justify the money for it, when literally every other series I'm interested in is cheaper by a magnitude of 10, or free.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3717874)   #1183
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
It was over £10 per race, I can't remember if that was Sunday only or that price included Sat qually as well. I'm pretty sure it did not include practice sessions.
The channel around 2002 - ish did include practice. I watched a Malaysian GP, I think 2002, including practice sessions. I don't know about earlier or later though.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 23:50 (Ref:3717910)   #1184
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IIRC it was later than 1996. Around 2002 as mentioned as I was still a student. Multi screen and £10 for each race including practice. I liked it. About half way through the season there was a 'season' discount making it cheaper. I got sky because of it (had cable before).
Old 11 Mar 2017, 09:08 (Ref:3717942)   #1185
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Definitely was 2002, just before Bernie closed it down due to lack of interest

Of course anyone remember when you could watch the entire weekend on Eurosport?
Old 11 Mar 2017, 10:54 (Ref:3717960)   #1186
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Definitely was 2002, just before Bernie closed it down due to lack of interest

Ahhh the good old days back when before Bernie's pension fund wasn't the prime motivator behind most F1 decisions.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 18:51 (Ref:3718228)   #1187
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post

Ahh, yes. And even the frequent euro-trash ads were amusing and different.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 19:51 (Ref:3718238)   #1188
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or the four hour season review programme they did! When did that stop? Was 1996 the last season?
Old 13 Mar 2017, 09:18 (Ref:3718327)   #1189
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes in 1997 ITV made sure they got exclusive rights, as they were afraid when they went to their adverts, viewers would switch to Eurosport and not come back
Old 13 Mar 2017, 12:16 (Ref:3718349)   #1190
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Those ITV adverts bloated from 3, 30 second ads to about 6-7 by the end of their contract. Funnily enough I watched a race in Italy in about 2003 and they only had a single ad break of 20-30 seconds then back to the race. Maybe had a handful during the whole race.
Old 13 Mar 2017, 21:33 (Ref:3718454)   #1191
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Ahhh the good old days back when before Bernie's pension fund wasn't the prime motivator behind most F1 decisions.
His pension fund was never the issue, that was the divorce and keep the daughters happy fund that did the damage.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 09:17 (Ref:3721092)   #1192
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Sean Bratcher, F1 commercial boss, has announced that Liberty Media are currently looking into ways fans would be able to pay to watch F1 qualifying and races using the internet.

Sounds like a move in the right direction. Apparently to be introduced as soon as pre 2018 season.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 11:07 (Ref:3721121)   #1193
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Sean Bratcher, F1 commercial boss, has announced that Liberty Media are currently looking into ways fans would be able to pay to watch F1 qualifying and races using the internet.

Sounds like a move in the right direction. Apparently to be introduced as soon as pre 2018 season.
I'd rather they looked into ways fans would be able to not pay to watch F1 qualifying and races using the internet.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 14:06 (Ref:3721178)   #1194
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I'd rather they looked into ways fans would be able to not pay to watch F1 qualifying and races using the internet.
i feel like that trade off would include a lot of commercials.

which isnt so bad...a free version with ads with an option for a 'premium' subscription without ads is pretty much the prevailing model for app based distribution. its important to have both imo.

i am curious to see what they would do for commentary though.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3721189)   #1195
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Commercials? Cars with logos are commercials themselves.

If I were Red Bull, Mercedes or Martini, I would want as many viewers as possible.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 15:27 (Ref:3721202)   #1196
S griffin
Veteran

Sponsors will be unhappy if there are too many unable to pay to watch them
Old 24 Mar 2017, 19:27 (Ref:3721253)   #1197
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
A preimum online subscription without ads would be a lot cheaper than the premium TV subscription we have at the moment.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3721841)   #1198
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sponsors know the deal before they get involved, they know that F1 is behind a paywall and likely to be behind an ever bigger one in the future.

So it's up to them if they think they are getting a good or bad deal.

The sport is rapidly losing fans, so that is more of a worry than anything else, I think the sort of deals that are done by major F1 sponsors, tv coverage is not that pivotal, it is tie ins, advertising away from actual racing channels, media, social media that is the big thing. Networking really.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 11:49 (Ref:3721844)   #1199
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i disagree completely, the only reason major sponsors are involved is the coverage that they get in the markets they sell in so with falling audiences and also the narrowing of that audience to the point where only those paying high fees for it then the returns the sponsors will get will reduce the return on that investment. Yes there are sponsors who spend company money for there own reasons but they are small fry now days and will never bring in enough to run a top team. If F1 goes totally pay to view then IMHO it will slowly die
Old 27 Mar 2017, 11:52 (Ref:3721846)   #1200
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
i disagree completely, the only reason major sponsors are involved is the coverage that they get in the markets they sell in so with falling audiences and also the narrowing of that audience to the point where only those paying high fees for it then the returns the sponsors will get will reduce the return on that investment. Yes there are sponsors who spend company money for there own reasons but they are small fry now days and will never bring in enough to run a top team. If F1 goes totally pay to view then IMHO it will slowly die
I totally agree with this. I'm sure that I'm not alone in this but I will certainly stop watching if the TV coverage goes completely behind a pay wall and would guess that I've watched at least 80% of F1 races shown on TV here over the last 45 - 50 years...

Tags
pinks