Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Dec 2015, 04:32 (Ref:3598535)   #176
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Does Ron know something that nobody else does?

http://www.pitpass.com/55374/Not-qui...for-Ron-Dennis
Undoubtedly, in the overall scheme of things and with due regard to the nature of the question and its relativity to the task on hand this proves that Ronspeak is progressing towards the ultimate goal of becoming indecipherable.
By the way if true north is a state of mind can I replace the compass and GPS on the boat with a session with a psyche?
Old 18 Dec 2015, 14:32 (Ref:3598595)   #177
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
In other news, biggest shock of the year is that Ron has discovered that sense of humour that seemed to have gone missing

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122287
Old 19 Dec 2015, 01:39 (Ref:3598696)   #178
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
In other news, biggest shock of the year is that Ron has discovered that sense of humour that seemed to have gone missing

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122287
At birth!

I really like Ron, odd apparently I know, but have never thought of him as humorous.
Old 25 Aug 2016, 12:11 (Ref:3667485)   #179
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ooh la la.....7 upgrade tokens used by Hopnda for Spa, no coincidence this is a power circuit......could this be their breakthrough race?
Old 25 Aug 2016, 15:47 (Ref:3667515)   #180
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i hope so. given the rules change for 2017 and how most teams are opting to stop development so early its nice to see one team still willing to develop/push until seasons end and i hope they are rewarded for it.

if they can somehow find a way to catch up/overtake Williams and FI that would be pretty epic given where they started the season.
Old 25 Aug 2016, 17:19 (Ref:3667526)   #181
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
The pinnacle of motor sport and we are reduced to agonising about bloody upgrade tokens - anybody else feel they could make a better job of drafting F1 rules on one piece of A4 than this charade? And Lewis gets penalised because - hold the front page - a racing car component failed...Good job we didn't have that regime in the Zakspeed days or they would have been relegated to starting Grands Prix a decade after the race had finished.

Hope Honda continue to progress - they are racers at heart and have never been afraid to take the rod less travelled , even though a few routes have been culs de sac . And - whoopee - two proper circuits after the Hungaboring and the beyond parody Azerbaijan ('Baku welcomed us all' )
Old 25 Aug 2016, 19:02 (Ref:3667549)   #182
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Freudian slip "the rod less travelled" love it I foresee a movie "Through the Cases."
Hope to see real progress though, Woking et al deserve it.

Last edited by greentrumpet; 25 Aug 2016 at 19:09.
Old 25 Aug 2016, 22:33 (Ref:3667575)   #183
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i hope so. given the rules change for 2017 and how most teams are opting to stop development so early its nice to see one team still willing to develop/push until seasons end and i hope they are rewarded for it.

if they can somehow find a way to catch up/overtake Williams and FI that would be pretty epic given where they started the season.
I think I read somewhere that Honda only planned to use the tokens when they were able to provide something of significance. So that might be a good sign. Also, given they have been so far behind, they may be using much of this as a way to validate (on track and not on dyno) that specific concepts and improvements work as expected. So they can hopefully go into 2017 with more data even if they (and others) do tokenless rework/improvements for 2017.

Richard
Old 26 Aug 2016, 00:31 (Ref:3667583)   #184
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If the Honda powerplant is a rocket, it will show up any deficiencies in the McLaren chassis....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 26 Aug 2016, 13:22 (Ref:3667679)   #185
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
JB is saying the upgrades won't make much difference at Spa and Monza, and it'll be Singapore before McLaren are able to reap the benefit.
Old 28 Aug 2016, 14:05 (Ref:3668064)   #186
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
well not a bad show from alonso, from last to 7th and beating both the willians, so the car is making advances
Old 28 Aug 2016, 14:20 (Ref:3668073)   #187
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seems promising. It as a shame Button was speared out of the race early on. Great drive by Alonso. Get the reliability back and they can be solid top ten or maybe top six?

Richard
Old 28 Aug 2016, 15:19 (Ref:3668110)   #188
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Decent job. There may yet be hope......
Old 28 Aug 2016, 15:22 (Ref:3668111)   #189
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good show from them today. Shame that Button got punted off out of 5th - as I think if he'd not had that - then both he and Alonso would have had decent points finishes. Really good show from Alonso. It looks like whilst the Honda engine doesn't quite have enough power yet - the McLaren chassis is very strong(as it seemed to be in the middle section of Spa). Looks like the McLarens could be strong at Singapore.

As I think Mark Webber mentioned, on the Channel 4 feed - he doesn't think that next year the McLaren will win, but he thinks it'll be 2018 that they might be able to challenge.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 16:33 (Ref:3683088)   #190
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Saward is reporting that the Mclaren BP deal is definitely going to happen.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016...claren-and-bp/

he highlights connections between BP via Castrol and Honda as the logic behind the deal (and no doubt lots of money). how quickly can BP get up to speed and/or is this a step back for Mclaren?

not sure where that leaves ExxonMobil but in a previous post he suggested that they may move over to Red Bull.

anyways it sounds like Mclaren is doubling down on their partnership with Honda, and given their combined improvements over the past season it makes sense to strengthen their partnership.

other rumours are that Ron may be leaving his role as chairman and team principle of the F1 team.

so potentially lots of changes going on. only time will tell if they are righting the ship.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 16:41 (Ref:3683091)   #191
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Autosport have reported Ron's departure as a done deal, not a rumour.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 18:49 (Ref:3683147)   #192
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If 75% of the board has voted him out (and it's 75% of voting rights, not just shares - not always the same) - then that's going to be a tough one for Ron to get around.

It sounds like it's a done-vote - and now let's see what Ron responds with. You'd imagine he'd come out and say he's going if he wasn't going to dig heels in and fight it out.

It's been quite enjoyable watching McLaren Honda fight their way back into, and through the pack this season.

Interesting to see how they run next season - can imagine them being the 4th best team next season (surely)...
Old 26 Oct 2016, 22:18 (Ref:3683219)   #193
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
If 75% of the board has voted him out (and it's 75% of voting rights, not just shares - not always the same) - then that's going to be a tough one for Ron to get around.

It sounds like it's a done-vote - and now let's see what Ron responds with. You'd imagine he'd come out and say he's going if he wasn't going to dig heels in and fight it out.

It's been quite enjoyable watching McLaren Honda fight their way back into, and through the pack this season.

Interesting to see how they run next season - can imagine them being the 4th best team next season (surely)...
It surprises me that Mr Dennis hasn't actually pitched the idea of Honda buying out McLaren.. it was just something that seemed logical when the depth of the contractual arrangement for supply of engines and budget and the like were in place, especially stuff like veto rights for other teams and the like.

Honda could take a stake, the show goes on with Mr Dennis at the helm..

Wonder why its not on anyone's radar, even in speculation?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Oct 2016, 05:41 (Ref:3683283)   #194
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It surprises me that Mr Dennis hasn't actually pitched the idea of Honda buying out McLaren.. it was just something that seemed logical when the depth of the contractual arrangement for supply of engines and budget and the like were in place, especially stuff like veto rights for other teams and the like.

Honda could take a stake, the show goes on with Mr Dennis at the helm..

After their last expensive team owning experience, I think this would be a hard sell to the Honda board.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 12:43 (Ref:3683367)   #195
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. When they took over BAR there was a lot on yen spent on failure and then pulled out after building what would turn out to be the title winner that season, with Brawn doing it with less dosh
Old 27 Oct 2016, 13:17 (Ref:3683374)   #196
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Interesting question, would Honda have won the title in 2009 if they'd stayed the course?
Old 27 Oct 2016, 14:43 (Ref:3683390)   #197
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Interesting question, would Honda have won the title in 2009 if they'd stayed the course?
If they'd kept the Brawn exactly as it was then the outcome would have been the same. (Somewhat difficult to do however with a Mercedes power plant!)
Old 27 Oct 2016, 14:47 (Ref:3683393)   #198
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
potentially depends if Honda staying also meant continued funding for Super Aguri...legend has it the double diffuser was their brain child and the Honda/Brawn team only got it once SA folded and the engineers were absorbed by the Honda A team.

without that piece of tech, then Williams and Toyota, who had independently came up with a similar but less efficient version, would have had the advantage that year.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 15:04 (Ref:3683400)   #199
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
good question.

is its just Ron's philosophy? maybe Ron just refuses to make that sort of deal with a manu?

not sure if i am remembering this correctly but were there issues with Mclaren resisting a stronger partnership with Merc prior to Merc starting their own team up?
Old 27 Oct 2016, 15:12 (Ref:3683403)   #200
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post

As I wrote earlier, it is not that simple. Both Dennis and Ojjeh have 25% shareholdings, and I believe at least 50% voting rights, and given the extremely close relationship between the two over so many decades, I think it highly unlikely that any other shareholder would be able to enforce a departure of Dennis if he doesn't wish to go.