Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 May 2012, 08:37 (Ref:3071606)   #1251
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
I have $100 here that says after 3 rounds of next seasons NZV8s you will be eating your words in reguards to the car son the track and the entire meetings in general
i heard today that giltraps cancelled their V8ST upcoming involvement (ask chris petch) to put together a 2x car Audi team after they heard about toyota,also a former well known nzv8 competitor who sponsors events and competitors doing a couple of merc's and nissan dealership owner from north shore (cant recall his name) finalising plans for 2x nissans with bodywork etc from aussie V8SC.....could be wrong but dont think so.....i still reckon theres plenty of room for both classes and they will be very different anyway for the fans....
Old 9 May 2012, 08:39 (Ref:3071608)   #1252
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well, I'd believe that when I see it! But the Nissan thing could be a goer made easier by body panels from Kellys
Old 9 May 2012, 18:35 (Ref:3071852)   #1253
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
i heard today that giltraps cancelled their V8ST upcoming involvement (ask chris petch) to put together a 2x car Audi team after they heard about toyota,also a former well known nzv8 competitor who sponsors events and competitors doing a couple of merc's and nissan dealership owner from north shore (cant recall his name) finalising plans for 2x nissans with bodywork etc from aussie V8SC.....could be wrong but dont think so.....i still reckon theres plenty of room for both classes and they will be very different anyway for the fans....
sounds good to me
Old 9 May 2012, 18:48 (Ref:3071861)   #1254
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
Good news if it all comes off and thumbs up to the Toyota entry as long as they use a Toyota engine.
Old 9 May 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3071877)   #1255
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Good news if it all comes off and thumbs up to the Toyota entry as long as they use a Toyota engine.
From the media release I have seen

The cars will use a 5.0-litre engine developed by Toyota Racing Development (TRD) in the USA for Grand-Am endurance racing, sourced by Toyota New Zealand. The four-cam, four valve per cylinder engines are purpose-built competition units with a motorsport pedigree that includes the Daytona 24 Hour race.
Old 9 May 2012, 20:40 (Ref:3071906)   #1256
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Looks like V8 racing in NZ is starting to hot up. The Ford/Holden thing is getting a bit boring IMO. Exciting times ahead.
Old 9 May 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3071910)   #1257
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
and what does any of this have to do with the Richards Team, Toyota, or the Richards Team decision to race a couple of Camrys?
http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald...join-NZV8-grid
Old 9 May 2012, 21:36 (Ref:3071926)   #1258
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow big news does this add to the 11 cars that have been talked about or is this 2 of the 11?
Old 9 May 2012, 22:01 (Ref:3071938)   #1259
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is some pretty strong suggestions around that there will be a Mercedes out of the South Island and a Nissan out of the North Island both of which will be driven by competitors who have been successful in a variety of cars on a variety of surfaces
Old 9 May 2012, 22:29 (Ref:3071948)   #1260
flyingduck
Veteran

So the Rumor mill is

Holden
Toyota
Mercedes
Audi
Nissan
Ford

Wow reminds me of the old Group A days, anyone going to try a Volvo, I remember the Flying Brick Mr Petch ran for Robbie Francevic in the Aussie Series, It was awesome to have a Kiwi Team beating the Aussies.
Old 9 May 2012, 22:34 (Ref:3071954)   #1261
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
Wow big news does this add to the 11 cars that have been talked about or is this 2 of the 11?
That's interesting, when did it get to 11?
Old 9 May 2012, 22:51 (Ref:3071961)   #1262
flyingduck
Veteran

I was told 11 at Hamilton, but that could be incorrect.
Old 9 May 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3071970)   #1263
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it called the V8 gold star championship now? (according to the Timaru paper article)

Sounds like an award for not wetting the bed!

And yes Mr Revhead, we will all see how everything pans out after 3 rounds of this new series....all i want to see is some professionalism around the series. Things like an up to date website, a testing programme, youtube footage of the completed package. At the moment all we have is the rumour mill going nuts and a couple of cartoons with liveries plastered all over them.

In comparison the 'rival' ST series 6 months out from its first round in Feb 2012 had already undergone some testing, big name drivers had been confirmed, teams were forming and the calendar was falling into place, the Rat had been appointed CEO etc etc. All of this happening in the public eye.

So yes, very keen to see what shape this will be in 3 rounds into the 'gold star champoinship'
Old 9 May 2012, 23:15 (Ref:3071972)   #1264
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
I have $100 here that says after 3 rounds of next seasons NZV8s you will be eating your words in reguards to the car son the track and the entire meetings in general

Thanks 'Dad'
Old 10 May 2012, 00:00 (Ref:3071986)   #1265
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Is it called the V8 gold star championship now
The term "Gold Star Championship" has been used by MNZ in association with a variety of classes for decades. There's nothing 'new' about it.
Old 10 May 2012, 00:10 (Ref:3071990)   #1266
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
The term "Gold Star Championship" has been used by MNZ in association with a variety of classes for decades. There's nothing 'new' about it.

Thanks for clearing that up on_to_it
Old 10 May 2012, 00:31 (Ref:3071993)   #1267
ilovenzv8s
Rookie

ilovenzv8s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford and Holden

From all accounts both Ford and Holden have gone nuts over letting Toyota enter their quad cam, 32 valve engine with VVT-i.

Makes sence as it will be very hard for any Ford or Holden team to get close to a Toyota powered car.

No matter what happens parity cannot be matched. Even if you cap the HP at 500 bhp the Toyota will always get their quicker (and a considerable amount quicker) then the Ford and Holden.
Old 10 May 2012, 00:32 (Ref:3071994)   #1268
flyingduck
Veteran

The Gold Star Championship has been competed for since the mid 50's for single seaters names like Mclaren, Hulme and many other of NZ's top drivers have won it, in about 1996 they started awarding it to Saloons as well if my memory is correct Ashley Stichberry won the first one and has been given to NZV8 drivers since 04.
Old 10 May 2012, 00:47 (Ref:3071999)   #1269
flyingduck
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenzv8s View Post
From all accounts both Ford and Holden have gone nuts over letting Toyota enter their quad cam, 32 valve engine with VVT-i.

Makes sence as it will be very hard for any Ford or Holden team to get close to a Toyota powered car.

No matter what happens parity cannot be matched. Even if you cap the HP at 500 bhp the Toyota will always get their quicker (and a considerable amount quicker) then the Ford and Holden.
Will be interesting to see how they level the torque curve to balance it out. Would an engine management system be able to do this?
Old 10 May 2012, 00:50 (Ref:3072001)   #1270
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenzv8s View Post

Letting in a variety of engines could be a retrograde step for the new series as there will be a lot of time spent chasing parity between the various engines (and it may never be satisfactorily achieved). This could well result in one configuration of car/engine being superior and the others just making up the places. If this happens it will either revert to a one make series with everyone going to the best car/engine or the series will suffer as the non-competitive car packages will drop out.
Old 10 May 2012, 00:57 (Ref:3072004)   #1271
ilovenzv8s
Rookie

Well anything can be done with computers these days. The unknown I guess is who is going to do the parity check. I have been told it is Paul Issac based at Taupo. I am pretty sure he has a rolling road dyno facility which means the cars will need to be complete to run them.

Given the Toyota engine has been developed for racing will it have a controlled exhust system that Ford and Holden share or will it be a free for all? If there is any restrictions in the exhaust the Toyota engine will only last a very short period of time before the exhust gas restriction gets too much.

Even with a controlled ECU the Toyota will always accelerate faster the rev limiter then Ford and Holden.

It seems that on paper whoever is in a Toyota will have a significant advantage.

Just wondering if this is the best thing for our new cars?
Old 10 May 2012, 00:59 (Ref:3072005)   #1272
ilovenzv8s
Rookie

Could not agree more RogerH.

Cannot help but feel having toyota involved is the begging to the end. Shame for the likes of Nick Ross, and Simon Richards how have been very loyal to the class for so many years. All of that loyalty may (and I am only assuming here) be lost if toyota get their way.
Old 10 May 2012, 00:59 (Ref:3072006)   #1273
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
Letting in a variety of engines could be a retrograde step for the new series as there will be a lot of time spent chasing parity between the various engines (and it may never be satisfactorily achieved). This could well result in one configuration of car/engine being superior and the others just making up the places. If this happens it will either revert to a one make series with everyone going to the best car/engine or the series will suffer as the non-competitive car packages will drop out.

Well put Roger. And on top of this the Camry package still has to be tested (here i go again!) and just look at the problems that have emerged in the ST series around their so-called bullet proof engines. The new NZV8 series really needs to get its A into G and get proactive
Old 10 May 2012, 01:27 (Ref:3072011)   #1274
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Well put Roger. And on top of this the Camry package still has to be tested (here i go again!) and just look at the problems that have emerged in the ST series around their so-called bullet proof engines. The new NZV8 series really needs to get its A into G and get proactive
it's a toyota, they go better when the temperatures rise.
Old 10 May 2012, 01:40 (Ref:3072013)   #1275
ilovenzv8s
Rookie

Any truth to the rumour that Toyota may also make the parts available to a V8ST team for either a Camry or Aurion body shell. If NZV8s get the Camry and V8ST get the Aurion then we will have the best of both worlds.

Maybe this is why Giltraps have parked their V8ST until the Aurion body shell is grafted on the chassis.

If so then some very smart thinking on Toyota's part.