Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Apr 2017, 23:57 (Ref:3728800)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dunlop Admits Tyre Construction Faults

Dunlop Admits Tyre Construction Fault

:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article, Mr Dunlop...
Extensive analysis at the Victorian circuit has highlighted an area for improvement within the construction of the tyre, with the firm confident of a resolution, according to Dunlop Australia boss Kevin Fitzsimons.
The soft tyres will return to action at October’s Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.

“We’ve got a very good handle on what’s the cause of the failure, it is in the tyre construction itself, so we’ll just nut our way through it and go from there,” Fitzsimons told Speedcafe.com.

“I’ll be onto the factory first thing on Monday and speak to the engineers over there and send them reams of photographs and emails and we’ll nut it out and get to the bottom of it.
Dozens of Parts & Materials warranty claims c/- Dunlop HQ?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Apr 2017, 01:10 (Ref:3728808)   #2
Damien_White
Rookie

Damien_White should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamien_White should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

:

If they can establish "a very good handle on what’s the cause of the failure" before they've even left the circuit on Sunday night, it doesn't say much for the factory engineers who, with time on their side, couldn't get it right through the design and construction phase!

The fact there's an admission they've got to talk to the factory, assess the "reams and reams" of team supplied info, look at data, better understand the heat generation and flex on a hot tyre all points to them having absolutely no idea the cause yet.

That they have to "nut our way through it and go from there", and and "we’ll nut it out and get to the bottom of it" does not instill confidence either; certainly not for this fan anyway. That kind of language to describe the process, in what appears to be a major problem, should cause alarm. A couple of mates working on their Holden HQ in the backyard might nut out a problem, but with such high stakes I would hope for more.

If I was in charge, I'd be instructing those with some influence to be less concerned about social media commentary and be more focused on ensuring that, come Bathurst, the drivers, the equipment and the event is not compromised ... at all... in the slightest way ... zero... zilch ... naddah
Old 24 Apr 2017, 05:18 (Ref:3728815)   #3
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

:

Do the teams buy the tyres or are they supplied free of charge?

Can't remember.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 13:22 (Ref:3728882)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Do the teams buy the tyres or are they supplied free of charge?

Can't remember.
The teams pay for them, however VASA pay on behalf of the teams out of their REC income.

Interestingly, I recently spent about as much buying road tyres for my Honda Accord as a set of Supercar Dunlops costs. And have already done several thousand kilometres on them, and I havent had one pop..

Did I get ripped off, or should VASA be demanding a better tyre, even if it was for more money.

Old 24 Apr 2017, 21:26 (Ref:3728989)   #5
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It will be interesting to see what happens at Barbagallo which is known to be very abrasive but does not have the very fast corners such as turn one at P.I.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 22:23 (Ref:3729002)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
The teams pay for them, however VASA pay on behalf of the teams out of their REC income.

Interestingly, I recently spent about as much buying road tyres for my Honda Accord as a set of Supercar Dunlops costs. And have already done several thousand kilometres on them, and I havent had one pop..

Did I get ripped off, or should VASA be demanding a better tyre, even if it was for more money.

probably means you drive like an old man.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 23:34 (Ref:3729009)   #7
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
probably means you drive like an old man.
Whoa, careful there.
Are you putting a slur on old men ?
I'm an old man and I give my P Zeros a hell of a workout at every opportunity .
Old 24 Apr 2017, 23:43 (Ref:3729011)   #8
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Interestingly, I recently spent about as much buying road tyres for my Honda Accord as a set of Supercar Dunlops costs.
That's not a like-for-like comparison.

A closer comparison would be that could buy a set of road-legal Nankang AR-1 80-treadwear R-Compound tyres for about the same price as the set you bought... They review very well for the price -- great for trackdays, super sprints and hillclimbs, but of course they would heat cycle out if used for highway use excessively (and dangerous in the rain due to little tread). China make some great tyres these days.

AR-1s are significantly cheaper than the Hankook Z221 R-compound that were the mandatory tyre in the Bathurst 6 hour.

I wouldn't mind seeing an emerging brand like Federal or Nankang as the Supercars tyre supplier (or even more established Korean brands like Kumho, Nexen etc... DTM use Hankook as their tyre supplier).

However, overall Dunlop seem to do a good job.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 03:11 (Ref:3729035)   #9
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
.......I wouldn't mind seeing an emerging brand like Federal or Nankang as the Supercars tyre supplier (or even more established Korean brands like Kumho, Nexen etc... DTM use Hankook as their tyre supplier)......
Had Kumho's come on my Kia, horrible tyres. The Bridgestones I fitted are much better, although the wear rate is concerning (could be my driving style though )
Old 24 Apr 2017, 07:32 (Ref:3728827)   #10
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ohh... they PAY for them !
Old 24 Apr 2017, 09:00 (Ref:3728836)   #11
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about the sheep stations that were lost,how are they going to be re-couped
Old 24 Apr 2017, 09:30 (Ref:3728845)   #12
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I liked the exploding tyre concept,maybe the could make it interactive with the fans?,turn about a Holden then a Ford..
Old 24 Apr 2017, 13:01 (Ref:3728877)   #13
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saturday was pretty much a game of V8 Mario kart
Old 24 Apr 2017, 23:47 (Ref:3729012)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Should we revisit the aquaplaning problem with the Dunlop wets, and any impact (quite literally) they may have had in the Symkons Plains wreck?
Old 25 Apr 2017, 00:42 (Ref:3729017)   #15
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably doesn't help that what we know as 'wets' are in fact only intermediates.

There is an actual SC-spec full wet, but it is not utilised.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 01:11 (Ref:3729023)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 26 Apr 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3729277)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
The great tyre debate
Old 26 Apr 2017, 21:37 (Ref:3729381)   #18
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Good analysis (as you'd expect).

So definitely not a "blame Dunlop" situation - more involved than that. As usual, the full story takes a little time to emerge.

I thought the point about Mr Tander and Mr Crusty at the end was significant - almost a new version of "to finish first, first you need to finish".
Old 27 Apr 2017, 02:27 (Ref:3729397)   #19
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let's also remember Moto GP at Phillip Island in 2013.Bridgestone's tyres couldn't survive for more than 10 laps so there was a mandatory bike change half way through a 19 lap race.In Moto2 where Dunlop was the tyre supplier the race distance was halved because competitors don't have second bikes.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 05:46 (Ref:3729424)   #20
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Let's also remember Moto GP at Phillip Island in 2013.Bridgestone's tyres couldn't survive for more than 10 laps so there was a mandatory bike change half way through a 19 lap race.In Moto2 where Dunlop was the tyre supplier the race distance was halved because competitors don't have second bikes.
And after that, V8SC arranged a tyre test pretty quickly ... who would have thought? Wasn't a team car though, it was the COTF prototype.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/11/07/...ent-tyre-test/
Old 30 Apr 2017, 22:13 (Ref:3730205)   #21
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Worrisome that something like this could ruin your championship charge though.
Old 30 Apr 2017, 22:33 (Ref:3730211)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Worrisome that something like this could ruin your championship charge though.
Every team had the same tyre. If it was ruined it was because the boundry was pushed too far by the teams. not because of an issue with the tyre
Old 30 Apr 2017, 22:35 (Ref:3730213)   #23
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Every team had the same tyre. If it was ruined it was because the boundry was pushed too far by the teams. not because of an issue with the tyre
So every flaw is absolutely identical is it, with no variance.... Dumb statement.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 3 May 2017, 01:17 (Ref:3730657)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Dunlop To Test Supercar Control Tyres... At Bathurst!!!

Let the tyres pop at 300 km/h instead on 280 km/h.

Smart

Cars can still crash and hurt stuff on test days..
Old 3 May 2017, 01:39 (Ref:3730659)   #25
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Dunlop To Test Supercar Control Tyres... At Bathurst!!!

Let the tyres pop at 300 km/h instead on 280 km/h.

Smart

Cars can still crash and hurt stuff on test days..
Mr Phelps' use of Tautograms is a little cringe worthy... what am I saying most of his stuff is already cringe worthy...