Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Oct 2016, 10:32 (Ref:3681330)   #106
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 15,632
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Last night is when the IndyCar season should have ended (the Saturday of the 2nd weeked in October). Where should that race have been held? I have no idea. At this time, it's anyone's guess.

Then, opening the following season somewhere in the South in a place like Homestead or Australia in the 3rd week of January, with a race at Interlagos, Brazil, to follow on the 1st weekend of February (early enough for carnival to still be some time away) would probably be best, so the schedule could continue at St.Petersburg, Florida in March, as is already happening.
I mean, what other international events might that be which Mark Miles used to have in mind for February? Where else would it be warm enough in February for visiting trackside than in the Southern hemisphere?
Next season will have a 17 race schedule, now that Gateway has been added. However, with the season starting on March 12 and finishing on September 17, that is only 6 months of racing, followed by a 6 month off season. That has to be eliminated.
bjohnsonsmith is offline  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 29 Oct 2016, 11:14 (Ref:3683804)   #107
Yannick
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,050
Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This recent article http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/ne...for-19-844234/ is quite intersting. Mark Miles talked to journalist David Malsher and confirmed ongoing discussions with Portland, among other things.

A possible street circuit in Calgary, Canada, also gets mentioned in the article. Still, no further US venues have been written about.

Personally, I feel that's kind of sad because I still miss Milwaukee, and I guess other fans do so as well.

Regarding Mexico, Miles said that there are no discussions between Mexico City and IndyCar. However, "there are other conversations about a Mexican venue but I don’t think they will be viable as early as 2018,” he is quoted.

In relation to this, the article mentions a 1 and 1/4 mile flat oval that is part of Autodromo Miguel Abed at Puebla which does not have a SAFER barrier yet.

To be honest, I wasn't even aware there is an oval in Puebla.

Miles also says IndyCar would be open to a return to Australia for its season opener "if all the elements could be put together".
Yannick is offline  
Quote
Old 29 Oct 2016, 12:11 (Ref:3683823)   #108
NaBUru38
Veteran
 
NaBUru38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Posts: 7,487
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid


Puebla doesn't have safety standards.
NaBUru38 is offline  
__________________
"Show me a driver who didn’t make a handful of errors this year, and I’ll show you someone who wasn’t trying hard enough." - David Malsher
Quote
Old 29 Oct 2016, 13:31 (Ref:3683841)   #109
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 15,632
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
This recent article http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/ne...for-19-844234/ is quite intersting. Mark Miles talked to journalist David Malsher and confirmed ongoing discussions with Portland, among other things.

A possible street circuit in Calgary, Canada, also gets mentioned in the article. Still, no further US venues have been written about.

Personally, I feel that's kind of sad because I still miss Milwaukee, and I guess other fans do so as well.

Regarding Mexico, Miles said that there are no discussions between Mexico City and IndyCar. However, "there are other conversations about a Mexican venue but I don’t think they will be viable as early as 2018,” he is quoted.

In relation to this, the article mentions a 1 and 1/4 mile flat oval that is part of Autodromo Miguel Abed at Puebla which does not have a SAFER barrier yet.

To be honest, I wasn't even aware there is an oval in Puebla.

Miles also says IndyCar would be open to a return to Australia for its season opener "if all the elements could be put together".
If the season opener were in Australia, the season could start earlier and reduce the 6 month off season.

It would be good to see Portland back on the calendar. Roger Penske, earlier this year, was talking about opening up the North West. Canada definitely needs another race but why Calgary, why not Vancouver?
bjohnsonsmith is offline  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 31 Oct 2016, 12:29 (Ref:3684278)   #110
HighParker
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Canada
Toronto
Posts: 78
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
...why Calgary, why not Vancouver?
It's Ric Peterson (from Calgary), of Schmidt Peterson Motorsport, who has been trying to arrange for the city and Green-Savoree to have an IndyCar street race there.
The Vancouver race last happened in 2004, then Molson gave up on it because "the business model couldn't work", I think a year or two before they also got out of running the Toronto race and Champ Car purchased it.
I have not heard of anyone else trying to get an IndyCar race in Canada, other than maybe Mosport/CTMP if the contract for the Toronto race is not renewed after 2017.

Last edited by HighParker; 31 Oct 2016 at 12:42.
HighParker is offline  
Quote
Old 31 Oct 2016, 14:56 (Ref:3684311)   #111
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 15,632
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighParker View Post
It's Ric Peterson (from Calgary), of Schmidt Peterson Motorsport, who has been trying to arrange for the city and Green-Savoree to have an IndyCar street race there.
The Vancouver race last happened in 2004, then Molson gave up on it because "the business model couldn't work", I think a year or two before they also got out of running the Toronto race and Champ Car purchased it.
I have not heard of anyone else trying to get an IndyCar race in Canada, other than maybe Mosport/CTMP if the contract for the Toronto race is not renewed after 2017.
I remember watching that race. Paul Tracy won it. Molson stopped sponsoring the Toronto race after 2006.

Things have moved on since 2004 and Champ Car and I think IndyCar should at least look investigate racing at Vancouver again.
bjohnsonsmith is offline  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 31 Oct 2016, 19:51 (Ref:3684380)   #112
NaBUru38
Veteran
 
NaBUru38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Posts: 7,487
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And Montreal?
NaBUru38 is offline  
__________________
"Show me a driver who didn’t make a handful of errors this year, and I’ll show you someone who wasn’t trying hard enough." - David Malsher
Quote
Old 31 Oct 2016, 20:07 (Ref:3684385)   #113
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 15,632
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
And Montreal?
There is Montreal. Bernie wants a massive revamp of the track facilities for F1 and it will cost a lot and if they don't cough up Montreal could lose the race. IndyCar on the otherhand doesn't need all the bells a whistles Bernie wants for the F1 Circus.
bjohnsonsmith is offline  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 6 Nov 2016, 10:10 (Ref:3685915)   #114
Yannick
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,050
Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There is Montreal. Bernie wants a massive revamp of the track facilities for F1 and it will cost a lot and if they don't cough up Montreal could lose the race. IndyCar on the otherhand doesn't need all the bells a whistles Bernie wants for the F1 Circus.
Getting Montreal onto their schedule would be big for IndyCar. And the local audience would love the racing, no matter if there's an F1 race on that track or not.

That may or may not be different at COTA in Austin, TX, where F1 currently holds its USGP.
But IndyCar at COTA won't happen anyway because of a veto from Texas Motor Speedway.

However, if the "American GP" of F1 at Weehawken/New Jersey was still on the cards, I feel the 2 series should team up and run events on the same weekend, if possible, as the NYC market is precious and such a "double bill" would surely be able to convince more people to come trackside. Have the IndyCar race on the Saturday after F1 qualifying in the afternoon, and the F1 regularly on Sunday. You'd just need to make the pitlane wide enough so that the wall to protect IndyCar's pit equipment and mechanics can be installed non-permanently between the garages and the pitlane itself.

The IRL and F1 have been partners before so why not do it again?
Yannick is offline  
Quote
Old 6 Nov 2016, 15:34 (Ref:3685984)   #115
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 15,632
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Getting Montreal onto their schedule would be big for IndyCar. And the local audience would love the racing, no matter if there's an F1 race on that track or not.

That may or may not be different at COTA in Austin, TX, where F1 currently holds its USGP.
But IndyCar at COTA won't happen anyway because of a veto from Texas Motor Speedway.

However, if the "American GP" of F1 at Weehawken/New Jersey was still on the cards, I feel the 2 series should team up and run events on the same weekend, if possible, as the NYC market is precious and such a "double bill" would surely be able to convince more people to come trackside. Have the IndyCar race on the Saturday after F1 qualifying in the afternoon, and the F1 regularly on Sunday. You'd just need to make the pitlane wide enough so that the wall to protect IndyCar's pit equipment and mechanics can be installed non-permanently between the garages and the pitlane itself.

The IRL and F1 have been partners before so why not do it again?
I don't think Bernie would allow an IndyCar race at Montreal, if Montreal are still hosting the GP. He'd probably write it into the contract and I really doubt he'd be in favour of a double bill.
bjohnsonsmith is offline  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 13 Nov 2016, 13:06 (Ref:3687610)   #116
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 15,632
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Next year's Brazilian F1 GP is under threat from Bernie. IndyCar should at least look into holding a race at Sao Paulo. A classic track, with a ready made fan base.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ec...r-2017-849042/
bjohnsonsmith is offline  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 13 Nov 2016, 16:27 (Ref:3687663)   #117
TheMightyM
Veteran
 
TheMightyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location:
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,124
TheMightyM should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTheMightyM should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTheMightyM should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Next year's Brazilian F1 GP is under threat from Bernie. IndyCar should at least look into holding a race at Sao Paulo. A classic track, with a ready made fan base.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ec...r-2017-849042/
…In a country where the economy is doing absolutely horribly. It will be very difficult to make it work for IndyCar and the promoter given the conditions:
Quote:
Brazil is mired in in its longest recession since the 1930s and the IMF estimates meager growth next year. Latin America's largest economy shrank 3.8% last year and the IMF now forecasts it will fall another 3.3% this year.
TheMightyM is offline  
__________________
“Sometimes there’s no poison like a dream.” — Tanya Donelly
Quote
Old 13 Nov 2016, 16:49 (Ref:3687674)   #118
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 15,632
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
…In a country where the economy is doing absolutely horribly. It will be very difficult to make it work for IndyCar and the promoter given the conditions:
I know the economy is a mess but I did say they should at least look into holding a race at Sao Paulo, to find out if it is at all feasible, or not.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 13 Nov 2016 at 16:58.
bjohnsonsmith is offline  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 18 Nov 2016, 21:59 (Ref:3689162)   #119
10TENTHS
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 609
10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not after they got burned by the corruption at Brasilia. Portland is the most likely addition for 2018.
10TENTHS is offline  
Quote
Old 19 Nov 2016, 01:09 (Ref:3689174)   #120
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 15,632
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
Not after they got burned by the corruption at Brasilia. Portland is the most likely addition for 2018.
If Portland is on the 2018, that would be excellent. Rodger Penske has been calling for an IndyCar race in the North West.
bjohnsonsmith is offline  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 IndyCar Schedule. bjohnsonsmith Indycar Series 96 26 Jan 2016 16:08
2015 IndyCar schedule NaBUru38 Indycar Series 330 19 Jun 2015 12:11
2014 IndyCar schedule NaBUru38 Indycar Series 246 26 Oct 2013 14:42
IndyCar + LMP1 + Formula E -> IMSA CanAm 2017 NaBUru38 Sportscar & GT Racing 12 26 Apr 2013 15:58
2011 IndyCar Series Schedule DanicaFan Indycar Series 5 11 Sep 2010 01:03


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.