Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Apr 2017, 13:20 (Ref:3729883)   #51
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4 words people.

"Three On The Tree"

Best of both worlds.
The purists get their H pattern and the tech heads get the shifter behind the steering wheel.....

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 29 Apr 2017, 14:05 (Ref:3729897)   #52
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The VW Golf R32 I bought in 2008 had flappy paddle.... is was a real car... and that is 9 years ago..
How's it going today? Running up some huge repair bills for the owner?

VW are not really known for their longevity and quality. Though neither are Alfa, with their lovely 147 GTA which is my preferred V6 hot hatch from that period.

Quote:
And no reason for any of it not to be on the premier category in the country!
It's all been done before, it was a procession to be honest and it collapsed after just one season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmti29xi5E4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_1_Touring_Cars

Though on the bright side, the naturally aspirated high-revving V6s did sound just lovely.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 29 Apr 2017 at 14:12.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 14:08 (Ref:3729899)   #53
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
The VR6 is a solid motor. Didn't have the issues like the old 1.8t and 2.0t FSI that were the GTi engines of the time.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 14:15 (Ref:3729901)   #54
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The VR6 is a solid motor. Didn't have the issues like the old 1.8t and 2.0t FSI that were the GTi engines of the time.
While this is off topic you don't seem to mention anything about the window regulators, or the DSG, and all that other VW stuff that seems to go wrong inexplicably.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 14:16 (Ref:3729902)   #55
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
VW are not really known for their longevity

Beetle

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 29 Apr 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3729903)   #56
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
While this is off topic you don't seem to mention anything about the window regulators, or the DSG, and all that other VW stuff that seems to go wrong inexplicably.
Correct. DSG's seemed to be fixed, as the modern ones don't have near the issues that the earlier ones do. Basing this off the American market, of course.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3729904)   #57
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Beetle
Indeed!

Everything from the 1990's onward is a bit iffy unfortunately. Old VWs are infamous for smelling like crayons and the heater cores failing (a dash out job) -- things that just work on old 90's Japanese cars.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3729905)   #58
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
A few of my friends have the newest Golf with the 1.8 and they've cumulatively had zero issues with them, after nearly 60k miles each. We were lamenting the loss of the R400 the other day because of the Diesel thing, and wondered why VW doesn't build a hybrid-ized Golf R with like 400/425hp instead. They've got both Audi Sports and Porsche Racing with hybrid experience on the racing side, and Porsche's road-going team with the various hybrid models and the 918.

(I'm looking at the Golf wagon with the 1.8 and DSG to replace my current daily, the Civic Hybrid, which has ~258k km on it.)
Old 29 Apr 2017, 21:32 (Ref:3729956)   #59
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The VW Golf R32 I bought in 2008 had flappy paddle.... is was a real car... and that is 9 years ago..
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2244 View Post
New commodore has a paddleshift option, new mustang does as well not really Trevor
so by these 2 posts justifying the potential shift to paddle changes you are trying to convince me these cars are close to 'real', come on!!! neither of you is that naive surely? Every year they become less and less relevant. They are not 'touring cars' they are 'sports sedans' and should be called as much
Old 29 Apr 2017, 21:59 (Ref:3729958)   #60
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Indeed!

Everything from the 1990's onward is a bit iffy unfortunately. Old VWs are infamous for smelling like crayons and the heater cores failing (a dash out job) -- things that just work on old 90's Japanese cars.
Old VWs are typically air-cooled...
Old 30 Apr 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3730047)   #61
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Old VWs are typically air-cooled...
What do you call an air-cooled Porsche that doesn't leak?

One with no oil in it.

Edit - Apparently it's the same story or even worse for Beetle, Bus, Karmann Ghia etc. http://haysvwrepair.com/air-cooled-vw-engines-leak-oil/ Top 125 places VW air-cooled engines leak oil!
Old 30 Apr 2017, 22:33 (Ref:3730212)   #62
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
On step closer to GT3.
But it seems to be what many think is a panacea....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
No doubt the smart boffins at 888 will develop one that is cheaper than others on the market to sell to all teams. Like their on cockpit protection system, cause the DJRTP one won't suit their cockpit.
C'mon, I thought 888 were massively overcharging everybody for all the parts after somehow bribing Supercars to become the control supplier, thus forcing up all the costs!

Quote:
Supercars should be at the forefront of motorsport technology in this country.
Safety technology - yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Vehemently against this. With DBW throttle we're one step closer to traction control.

Let the drivers continue the heel-toe. There's skill required for that, and zero skill required to flick a paddle.
Changing to paddle shift from a floor shifter does not automatically mean you change either of the above. I have a DBW car and heel-toe just fine!

Quote:
VW are not really known for their longevity and quality. Though neither are Alfa, with their lovely 147 GTA which is my preferred V6 hot hatch from that period.
I keep hearing this but I am 300,000km in over 11 years now with DSG equipped 2 litres, only one mechanical issue in the entire time (cam follower).
Old 1 May 2017, 02:32 (Ref:3730239)   #63
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Thats what he said, one step closer to GT3 is closer to a foot in the grave

you're on board now though aren't you?
I'm a GT/GT3 fan all the way....but to hell would I like to see Supercars management get their dirty hands on it...
Old 1 May 2017, 03:23 (Ref:3730243)   #64
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
I'm a GT/GT3 fan all the way....but to hell would I like to see Supercars management get their dirty hands on it...
thats ok, i understand, lot of people act through passion and not logic
Old 9 May 2017, 10:11 (Ref:3732432)   #65
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gearbox For Supercars

Interesting discussion on RPM about the next gearbox for the Supercars, should they go paddle shift or remain with the current type.

Personally I believe the H box was my preference as it gave the driver another skill set to use to his advantage,and I think if we go to the paddle shift it will become bit like Liberty Medias Scalextrix championship!
Old 9 May 2017, 10:17 (Ref:3732434)   #66
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, leave it be and wishing H pattern stayed too.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150068
Old 9 May 2017, 10:31 (Ref:3732440)   #67
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gearbox will remain the same.

They're looking to go to pneumatic or electric paddle-shift. Albins says it's kinder on the gearbox, because some drivers are bit rough on the forward-backward motion.
Old 9 May 2017, 11:54 (Ref:3732456)   #68
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
People have trouble with tyres, Dunlop fix it.
People are hard on gearboxes, we had better make it even easier for the darlings.
Old 9 May 2017, 12:42 (Ref:3732463)   #69
Umai Naa
Veteran

You missed the bit where it's aimed at being easier on the componentry.
Old 9 May 2017, 13:09 (Ref:3732473)   #70
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You missed the bit where it's aimed at being easier on the componentry.
That was my point or doesn't mechanical sympathy exist anymore.
Engineers punish the tyre and it is Dunlops fault.
Drivers punish the gear and we have to make it easier for the driver not the other way around.
Can't Albins build a tougher toy!
You missed the sarcasm obviously.
Old 10 May 2017, 06:45 (Ref:3732586)   #71
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't Automatics be even easier again on components, ABS too? Why aren't we introducing those into the category??

Put all the paddle shifts and other big technology in an open-wheel formula. Keep the tin-tops simple and basic to do what they are supposed to do, entertain.
Old 10 May 2017, 07:10 (Ref:3732595)   #72
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Wouldn't Automatics be even easier again on components, ABS too? Why aren't we introducing those into the category??
Because it isn't GT racing?
Old 10 May 2017, 07:27 (Ref:3732604)   #73
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Super Touring had all this whiz-bang technology, sequential gearboxes and up-to-date relevancy, yet no-one was interested and the fans preferred to watch V8Supercars with their old technology

Now apparently Supercars has to be "up-to-date", make up your minds.

Supercars big selling point, particularly during the Super Touring war and later the PROCAR disagreements, is that it reflected what the fans wanted. Technological advancement was not something that was high on the priority list, nor did the fans seem to care.
I was interested and so were plenty of others, but ST fans were outnumbered by V8 fans. Was it because of the cars or was it because most of the big teams and name drivers went to V8s? I say the fans followed their heroes, not the cars. If the top guys had gone to ST, then V8s would have faded.

If you don't believe me, cast your mind back to the introduction of Group A. The top teams and drivers moved across from Group C to Group A and the fans followed them, they did not abandon Touring Car racing to follow Sports Sedans...
Old 10 May 2017, 07:30 (Ref:3732605)   #74
Umai Naa
Veteran

Also an ST fan.

Lightyears ahead of their time, and even now, SC hasn't yet tapped into everything they were doing back then. Mostly because they're not allowed to...
Old 10 May 2017, 07:34 (Ref:3732607)   #75
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Lightyears ahead of their time, and even now, SC hasn't yet tapped into everything they were doing back then. Mostly because they're not allowed to...
Well to be fair the arms race was there, plenty they were doing just cost more and never added anything to the show.