Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 24 Nov 2016, 07:49 (Ref:3690681)   #46
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem is compatibility.

These firms have gone cheap, they get PC users to sign up for games in pre alpha or BETA phase, to do a lot of the product testing and find out issues.

Then port them over without really making sure the game is right. Usually as they are under pressure from a publisher and a release date.

PCARS works fine on console, that is what it was always designed to run on and what its engine is based around.

It's a hideous game on PC even now.

But I have played it on console with a decent wheel and rather enjoyed it. Far better than the PC version.

AC is the other way round, not enough real money to port it properly, so its really badly done. The PC version is fine, not as shiny and glitzy as PCARS, but a far better actual simulation than PCARS, which is after all a spiced up Need for Speed game.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 08:56 (Ref:3690696)   #47
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
PCARS works fine on console, that is what it was always designed to run on and what its engine is based around.

It's a hideous game on PC even now.

But I have played it on console with a decent wheel and rather enjoyed it. Far better than the PC version.

It really isn't fine on the Xbox One at all. On the surface it is fine. In that you drive a car around a circuit and it works, and the AI drives round and they work. But when you get into the career mode you find that almost everything is broken.

Current serious bug list on the X1:

Saving setups doesn't work once you've saved over 16 (This includes different car and track types). Once you save your 17th setup, all setups are corrupt and go back to the default at all times.

Mandatory pit stops break if you use the in game replay. You'll always get disqualified if you use an in-game replay when you've got to make a pit stop, as it'll forget you've made the pit stop and DQ you. Making another pit stop doesn't work either.

Time acceleration changes the AI to 100% speed. So if you qualify with the AI at 85%, and then time accelerate, they qualify at 100% difficulty.

There are kerbs dotted around the game which cause it to slow down and speed up. Dubai Karting for example, has 2 or 3 kerbs that if you run them causes the entire game (inc AI cars) to slow to half speed. Once you clear the kerb, the game attempts to catch up with the lost time and fast forwards for a second or two. It's always fun to be fired at a corner like a cannon.

Pit strategies don't work. Tyre selection doesn't work correctly because they just refer to "soft, medium, hard, wet", and the car setups have more specific tyres such as "90s F1". If you use the pit strategies, you often get put on some odd tyres.

If you crash on the last lap and retire, you still get the position you were in when you crashed. I won a Ginetta race by crashing on the last lap and retiring. It was very Vanthoor/Macau!

The lap time bug was never fixed, which makes lap times meaningless. To save you reading the whole thread - something happens in game where the frame rate drops and the lap times suddenly take a LOT longer (20 seconds +) without any change in physics. You drive the same, the AI drives, the same, but it somehow takes a lot longer. Then the FPS will correct itself and the times will go back to 'normal'. I get this at the fake Suzuka every time in the LMP2s. Had it in the GT4s too.

-----------

It sounds like the PC version is even worse, but I'll never recommend the console version. It's fine on the surface, but when you dig into it and play the career mode properly, you find that almost every tool you need to use is broken. I posted these a few times on the pCARs forum and had my posts deleted for "reposting known issues". It was pretty clear they never had any intention of fixing them - they just stuck them in a spreadsheet and left them.

They may have ruined the PC version by designing this for consoles, but it seems they didn't have the talent to back up their ambitions and half the features don't actually work, and never will. So the end result is a PC version nobody likes, and a console version you can only play by remember you can't use most of the options and tools.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 10:17 (Ref:3690702)   #48
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I only played the console version of pCARS once and that was when I was in HMV around release time. I had a little go on it, I found it quite tricky to control, but managed to do a few laps. Out of curiosity I watched the guy behind me have a go and he lasted about 2 corners before he gave up as the car was constantly spinning / crashing. I then watched the next guy and he was the same, tried for about 2-3 corners then gave up, walked away.

I think it shows an interesting mentality with gamers in general. People just want something where they can win every time. A slight knockback is almost like a barrier or an insult of some sort, thats why a lot of these games have "RANK UP" "Well DONE" " Bonus + 2000 XP" appear every 5 minutes after they have accomplished some largely meaningless achievement.

My brother is pretty much this kind of gamer. If he can't win in the first 5 minutes, he gives up, he doesn't want a challenge. Another thing I spotted is that the way he tackles a game on day 1 is exactly the same way he tackles a game on day 101. His tactics don't change, (nor does his skill level it would seem).

I was one of the backers of pCARS and it was a complete s***show. However, I got back my stake and lots more, so from a financial point of view, it was pretty nice, although the end product fell well short of my expectations. I have heard virtually nothing on pCARS 2, i'm guessing development is still progressing?
Old 24 Nov 2016, 11:11 (Ref:3690711)   #49
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would never buy the thing so can't say I have played it to any degree.

Though I did spend a weekend playing it on a mates Ps4 with a decent wheel and found it pretty good.

I am simply saying it felt fine to me after a weekend of playing fairly extensively.

But I never really play against AI, I always play online or time trials. Can't see the point in playing against AI, unless you are in a career type mode and even then its rather pointless.

I am the last person believe it or not to back PCARS, if my name is mentioned on some forums people will remember the racedepartment thread that went on for hundreds of posts about my experience there and how it led to people adding their views there on how the game was, how the people that made it treated you if you dared to criticise or simply vent post as I did!!

It was an interesting experience actually, especially WMD's efforts to prevent the same things being posted elsewhere and numerous bannings resulting over nothing but that.

Their business model was a new plan, I thought it wrong, but I would guess when you can spend millions on PR and marketing you get what they got, a half finished title that looked glossy, was largely designed for consoles and largely worked for the casual player. But it's not very moddable and if you dig past he veneer as you have fella, you find the cracks and faults.

Made them a bucket, made the investors a small profit, but also left an awful lot of people with a sour taste in their mouth, split communities and made other developers look at getting people to do QA work for them for free while paying for the privilege, a rather disappointing precedent.

But it did expose Mr BVell to be a total bully and a nasty piece of work who really needs a PA to muzzle him.

Last edited by chunder; 24 Nov 2016 at 11:18.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 13:13 (Ref:3690942)   #50
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
But I never really play against AI, I always play online or time trials. Can't see the point in playing against AI, unless you are in a career type mode and even then its rather pointless.
Interesting - I largely only play against AI. Mostly because I don't get the chance to play a lot so just want a 'pick up and play' game - but also because my experiences of racing online have largely been negative. As far as I can tell unless you're racing in an organised league of some sort you just end up 'racing' against morons who if they're not winning just smash everyone else off the track or drive the wrong way 'for a laugh'. Good AI opponents are an absolute must for me when looking at games (and is my biggest criticism of the Gran Turismo series).
Old 29 Nov 2016, 09:40 (Ref:3692023)   #51
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I do know what you mean Bert.

But some of the best races I have ever had have been on open servers, you just have to find the right sort of ones. I have never had that experience with AI and you never will. Leagues are often stuffy and very rule orientated.

AC is actually pretty good in terms of no morons, I have only experienced a few since playing it.

But games like Rfactor and Race07 were riddled with them sadly. Bizarrely though I found the Codies F1 game I played quite reasonable, especially as they had the great idea of using ghost cars online so you couldn't actually drive into each other though you could obviously see the graphical idea of the car.

Hilarious when people didn't know and tried to take you out, then sped through your ghost car into the wall!
Old 29 Nov 2016, 15:02 (Ref:3692126)   #52
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Finding a good server is easier on a PC, tbh. I've moved from PC to console racing because I don't have the time to commit to PCs anymore. But my GPL and NR2003 days had far better races than pCARS on a console. iRacing obviously was the best, but that's setup differently.

Pickup racing on the X1 in pCARS isn't worth it. At least half the races are ruined by morons. And since the game advertises a working career mode, I expect it to work - which most of the features don't.

Chunder, how bad is the PC version of pCARS? X1 version is easy enough to drive, but almost all the offline features are completely broken. AC from the sound of it is in a bad state as well.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 11:38 (Ref:3693546)   #53
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Which offline features of PCars on the PC are supposed to be broken? I still drive it occasionally, always offline, and I've had no problems apart from having to reset my antique Momo Force from time to time....

(Not long now until we can join some of the DoTs........ )
Old 4 Dec 2016, 12:45 (Ref:3693566)   #54
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I tried the PC version with the Zonda stuff the other week and it felt awful on a decent spec PC even.

However I did try it on a PS4 and it felt fine.

Nothing more needs to be said really!
Old 5 Jan 2017, 12:08 (Ref:3700299)   #55
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well three years on from the original post, I've now tried the 'complete' AC on the PS4. My impression is of a really good sim that could have been absolutely great with a bit more thought.

Some car handling models are absolutely brilliant - the 65 Lotus F1 and classic touring cars seem really alive. Others provide little feedback and questionable physics at the limit. A case of trying to do too many cars for marketing reasons?

Then there is the game structure. Why can't I decide which AI I race against or organise a custom championship? What year is this again?

The tracks are probably the best modelled of any sim but there are some odd choices, probably influenced by licensing issues. Sports car classics like Donington, Le Mans, Sebring and Laguna Seca are notable by their absence. And their is still only one historic track, which is shame when one considers how brilliant the classic Lotus cars really are.

Anyone know if there will be an AC2? There is massive potential here that is not quite fulfilled...
Old 5 Jan 2017, 14:19 (Ref:3700327)   #56
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I doubt it fella

AC is a bit like RF1, in that is was a development of a sort of BETA game NetKar, and this is also a more open access game in comparison to Iracing, RF2 (whish it seems is still hard work to mod in) PCARS and Dirt Rally, the latter two being utterly devoid of mods and modding really.

AC is open to it, so I think will thrive for a decent time. If it is supported.

As they seem keen on trying to release new cars and the like I think it will be supported I hope for a few years.

Only problem is, with such modding support there is likely to be less interest in them doing tracks.
Old 5 Jan 2017, 17:45 (Ref:3700363)   #57
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
Then there is the game structure. Why can't I decide which AI I race against or organise a custom championship? What year is this again?
You can on the PC version. Unfortunately the console version is a bit of a mess and several versions behind. On the assumption that PC fixes/changes come to consoles, this option is coming. You can choose which cars you race against in single races, and you can choose cars and liveries in custom championships.

Quote:
The tracks are probably the best modelled of any sim but there are some odd choices, probably influenced by licensing issues. Sports car classics like Donington, Le Mans, Sebring and Laguna Seca are notable by their absence. And their is still only one historic track, which is shame when one considers how brilliant the classic Lotus cars really are.
Laguna Seca is confirmed as coming soon (soon is a relative term - we don't know when!). Donington, unfortunately for console users, exists as a good version on the PC as a mod.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 11:40 (Ref:3701246)   #58
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's frustrating. I assumed PC sims were dying rapidly so I don't really bother with PC sims now - mainly because you need a 800+ gaming rig to do what a 200 ps4 will already do, plus everyone is now on laptops.

I also got frustrated with PC simming. Trying to get RF2 to run properly on a PC seemed to need a PhD in computing - with AC you just stick your CD into the PS4 and it works first time, every time.

But maybe I'm wrong and missing out?
Old 9 Jan 2017, 13:24 (Ref:3701268)   #59
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
You're partly right. I agree the price difference is often a deal breaker. I'd say you can build a PC for less than 800, but you'd maybe need to build it yourself, which for a lot of people isn't possible. We can't all be PC experts. So the price difference is huge.

You're also right about rFactor 2. They recently migrated to Steam, and I took that opportunity to reinstall it and was REALLY unimpressed. I'm sure you can do a lot of nice things you can do with it and run loads of mods etc, but the default game looked and sounded terrible and generally it felt 10 years out of date already.

But I also played pCARS on the X1, and I've never had so many problems with a PC game as I did pCARS on the X1. Sound problems, stuttering, FPS drops, timing issues, crashing. These are issues which are usually exclusive to PC gaming, and yet pCARS introduced them all to a console, which was remarkable. The initial release didn't even work with a joypad. You know, the default controller!

Assetto Corsa on the PC for me runs smooth as silk. Default settings worked too, which was nice. I had to mess with controller settings to get my X1 joypad on my PC Feeling good, but not half as much as pCARs on the X1. So in that regard, AC on the PC is brilliant.

I think AC on a console is just a bit behind the PC version. It's a different development studio, so maybe they're still getting to grips with it. I'm sure you'll get the content and features eventually.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 13:52 (Ref:3701277)   #60
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Akra

Believe me buddy you can run a decent PC for far less than that if you have a keyboard, mouse and monitor already.

I bought mine tail end of last year for 450, and spent 100 quid on a half decent monitor and it runs the game fine.

Am going to start getting into installing some mods I think tonight, see how easy it is.

As the base content, though good gets a little tiresome after a while. And I am intrigued to see how the modders are getting on.

Agree with you about RF2, I found it a fair mess last time I tried it, so poorly done considering how great RF1 was. They seem tog et all stacked up with some things and ignore the obvious stuff.