Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 2 Apr 2018, 14:00 (Ref:3812489)   #1251
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is a ridiculous idea. I love it.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 20:45 (Ref:3812556)   #1252
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
One problem, the f1 tracks are all car parks
Old 2 Apr 2018, 23:38 (Ref:3812571)   #1253
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
One problem, the f1 tracks are all car parks
They are (apart from Albert Park I'd argue) but if WEC's going to Shanghai or whatever else boring track in Asia anyway, why not have little razzle dazzle

Paddock space would be bit of an issue if the demand was to have actual full size physical garages for all sides, but at least WTCR would just get the short end of the stick ie support paddock by not being FIA WC anymore
Old 3 Apr 2018, 00:04 (Ref:3812573)   #1254
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Speaking as someone who would actually have to work at such an event - No Thanks

Literally everything not F1 would be so far down the pecking order it would be ludicrous: Access, facilities and pretty much everything else would be severely restricted (and having covered a support race on an F1 bill I know of what I speak)

The spectator experience would follow F1 protocols so would be worse than a regular WEC race.

Yes it MIGHT get a larger audience, but that would only apply to the attending audience, TV deals for F1 are for F1, not F1 plus support.

It's a nice thought but would be a LONG way down my list 'wants'
Old 3 Apr 2018, 01:57 (Ref:3812578)   #1255
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Now a WEC-Blancpain or WEC-FIA GT World Cup combo on the other hand...
Old 3 Apr 2018, 12:18 (Ref:3812628)   #1256
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Speaking as someone who would actually have to work at such an event - No Thanks

Literally everything not F1 would be so far down the pecking order it would be ludicrous: Access, facilities and pretty much everything else would be severely restricted (and having covered a support race on an F1 bill I know of what I speak)

The spectator experience would follow F1 protocols so would be worse than a regular WEC race.

Yes it MIGHT get a larger audience, but that would only apply to the attending audience, TV deals for F1 are for F1, not F1 plus support.

It's a nice thought but would be a LONG way down my list 'wants'
Oh it's not even in my top 10 of things what I would wish from non-LM WEC events (those would most of all include integrated grids with the regional series a la ILMC as well as more varying event formats length and FIA circuit grading wise) but it is at least interesting to think about.

Now, if you look at the Australian Grand Prix, it's pretty damn jammed with support series - more than any other F1 meeting - and Supercars actually gets way more race mileage than F1 does. Plus they have their own dedicated separate pitlane and garages, ie complete freedom of space in contrast to what even Formula 2 gets. Yes they are essentially still in division 2 treatment, jammed down by the power that is F1, but if a regional domestic touring car series can get that done, what would another world championship get if it shared the track? It's something that's never been done before so I don't think it would be quite as black as white as F1 dominating every aspect of the weekend.

Anyway, fair enough for actually having the insight from being there
Old 3 Apr 2018, 14:48 (Ref:3812645)   #1257
Deleted
Veteran

Still no word whatsoever on if you can follow any of the HTTT running
Old 4 Apr 2018, 01:32 (Ref:3812718)   #1258
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Still no word whatsoever on if you can follow any of the HTTT running
They are too busy doing worthless posts in social media.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 11:16 (Ref:3812779)   #1259
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
They are too busy doing worthless posts in social media.
Start your engines boys and girls, are you ready to hashtag your way to France!

I can't wait for the 4 minute long highlights clip with overly dramatic recycled orchestral music to show how the weekend went.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 16:09 (Ref:3812823)   #1260
jp_olifer
Rookie

Portugal
jp_olifer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring WEC format

It seems they were busy writing the details for the Sebring weekend:

https://www.fiawec.com/en/news/chang...ce-racing/5883

1000 miles or 8 hours taking place on Friday
Old 4 Apr 2018, 16:18 (Ref:3812826)   #1261
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Not sure if I like this change. But at least it's not another 6 hour race. Seems like IMSA has to be the 'bigger' race and having the title of the 12 hours of Sebring wasn't enough.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 16:52 (Ref:3812831)   #1262
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1000 miles are 1609 kilometers which would equal to an average speed of 201 kph in 8 hours. Compared to the races in 2017:
Silverstone 193.5
Spa 201.8
Le Mans 208.2
Nürburgring 174.6
Mexico 172.1
Cota 176.1
Fuji 116.8
Shanghai 176.8
Bahrain 178.8

Last edited by Irie; 4 Apr 2018 at 17:04.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 16:55 (Ref:3812832)   #1263
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://www.facebook.com/tvrauto/?hc...0cglAQ&fref=nf

TVR announcement? I'm guessing Rebellion branding.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 17:02 (Ref:3812836)   #1264
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

Good find. Looks like Rebellion will be using TVR branding. Whatever happened to the Zenvo engine thing? I wonder if that ever materializes.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 17:05 (Ref:3812838)   #1265
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Good find. Looks like Rebellion will be using TVR branding. Whatever happened to the Zenvo engine thing? I wonder if that ever materializes.
I was thinking that a while back to and did a Google. A few sources say Zenvo was developing a brand new LMP1 engine for them for 2019.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...bellion-racing

I remain sceptical on that appearing. That's beyond branding and is proper development.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3812839)   #1266
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

That should mean Toyota won't need to worry. Put the TVR name on anything and it becomes...

...less reliable.

*ducks*
Old 4 Apr 2018, 17:08 (Ref:3812840)   #1267
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Not sure if I like this change. But at least it's not another 6 hour race. Seems like IMSA has to be the 'bigger' race and having the title of the 12 hours of Sebring wasn't enough.

"Not sure if I like this change."

Why not? The only questions/negatives I can take from this is wether or not Sebring can handle the influx of attendance for the shared weekend between fans, VIPs, sponsors etc, and the fact that Conti may have to race on Thursday instead of their usual Friday race. Either way, the benefits that Sebring will reap from this will be exponential. What is not like? I'm sure you wouldn't feel the same way if you chose to attend the weekend in 2019.

"Seems like IMSA has to be the 'bigger' race and having the title of the 12 hours of Sebring wasn't enough."

It's not as if this has been one of America's premier endurance races since 1952 for goodness sake, so I think it goes without saying that IMSA is the 'bigger' event. As much as it undoubtedly irks some WEC fans, the WEC will always play second fiddle to the likes of a Sebring 12...or even a Daytona 24 or Petit Le Mans for that matter...all of which predate the revived WEC (2012) by either two decades to half a bloody century. That is not just petty IMSA Fanboyism, that is fact.

Just because your favorite series has "World" in it, does not give you license for arrogance.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3812844)   #1268
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post

Why not? The only questions/negatives I can take from this is wether or not Sebring can handle the influx of attendance for the shared weekend between fans, VIPs, sponsors etc, and the fact that Conti may have to race on Thursday instead of their usual Friday race. Either way, the benefits that Sebring will reap from this will be exponential. What is not like? I'm sure you wouldn't feel the same way if you chose to attend the weekend in 2019.

"Seems like IMSA has to be the 'bigger' race and having the title of the 12 hours of Sebring wasn't enough."

It's not as if this has been one of America's premier endurance races since 1952 for goodness sake, so I think it goes without saying that IMSA is the 'bigger' event. As much as it undoubtedly irks some WEC fans, the WEC will always play second fiddle to the likes of a Sebring 12...or even a Daytona 24 or Petit Le Mans for that matter...all of which predate the revived WEC (2012) by either two decades to half a bloody century. That is not just petty IMSA Fanboyism, that is fact.
I don't think you understood. I explained it on the IMSA thread. Friday is the time for support races. The WEC being a world championship should not be a support race for a local series like IMSA. I'm not saying it's going to be, but there will be thoughts that it is and that's wrong. IMSA uses the FIA and ACO's style of cars and racing, not the other way around. There's my take on that...

On the "bigger event" I mean the greater distance/more time. It was originally a 1500 mile race, but that seemingly had to be knocked back because it was a bigger total than the 12hr? That's how it seems to me. That's why I said it seems like the name and title of 12 hours of Sebring wasn't enough for IMSA, they had to cut the WEC's race off by the knees. Kinda disappointed by that. If the 12 hours is so prestigious there shouldn't be anything to worry about with the WEC running 1500 miles. That's how I see it, and I'm not picking sides because I like both series even if I prefer lmp1 over dpi 10 times out of 10.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3812845)   #1269
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A good move. Holding a race after the 12 hours always seemed like a bad decision to me. The most important thing is that Sebring is part of the championship.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3812848)   #1270
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
What is not like?
Are we operating in an imaginary universe where everyone in North America takes the Friday before the 12 hours off?
Old 4 Apr 2018, 17:33 (Ref:3812849)   #1271
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Just because your favorite series has "World" in it, does not give you license for arrogance.
I know what you mean, but it won't be a Conti race. Michelin Sportscar Challenge.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 17:55 (Ref:3812852)   #1272
Deleted
Veteran

Even worse than the debunked 9 hours after the rumor shuffles started happening, because the 1000 mile distance isn't even the old Petit Le Mans format of "1000 miles or 10 Hours" but rather strictly 8 hours which most likely will be met long before the distance thanks to cautions and whatever.

At least it isn't 6 hours and boring sanitized Grade 1 track - which already makes it better than anything else bar LM - but I'm tired of saying words like "at least"

Anyway this is kind of like repeat of 2010 Paul Ricard 8 Hours, and just like that probably one-off now

The only positive news comes from this bit:

Its paddock will run concurrently to the IMSA paddock, which remains in its current location, towards Turn 16, with a test day for WEC teams to be held in the run-up to the race weekend.

(as in I assume separate promoters test day rather than part of official practices)
Old 4 Apr 2018, 18:12 (Ref:3812855)   #1273
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I guess I'm the only one happy with this. It's perfect. And what I suggested directly after the 2 x 12 hour announcement. I'm expecting royalties in the mail soon.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 18:19 (Ref:3812859)   #1274
Deleted
Veteran

I would have been happy with this if this was the -original- announcement. As in, they presented the calendar for the first time and to surprise to everyone it read "1000 Miles or 8 Hours of Sebring" after everyone expected a boring formal return to COTA or wherever. But after all this time it's a letdown, the gradual weakening of the format.

I also agree with TF110's view on it being a relegated to serve the 'prestige' 12 hours, rather than being the co-star. As I've said before, it's also the spiritual repeat of Spa 24 Hours weekend in 2010 with FIA GT1 World Championship.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 18:24 (Ref:3812861)   #1275
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Every silver lining has a cloud.