Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who do you think was the best driver of the 2014 season?
Lewis Hamilton 28 31.82%
Nico Rosberg 1 1.14%
Daniel Ricciardo 46 52.27%
Valtteri Bottas 4 4.55%
Sebastian Vettel 0 0%
Fernando Alonso 4 4.55%
Felipe Massa 1 1.14%
Jenson Button 1 1.14%
Nico Hulkenberg 0 0%
Sergio Perez 0 0%
Kevin Magnussen 1 1.14%
Kimi Raikkonen 0 0%
Jean-Eric Vergne 0 0%
Romain Grosjean 0 0%
Daniil Kvyat 1 1.14%
Pastor Maldonado 0 0%
Jules Bianchi 1 1.14%
Adrian Sutil 0 0%
Marcus Ericsson 0 0%
Esteban Gutierrez 0 0%
Max Chilton 0 0%
Kamui Kobayashi 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Dec 2014, 10:40 (Ref:3480682)   #26
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Trev... we got the same top 7.

Nothing against Perez and Hulk, but considering they had the Mercedes engine they should have been much higher up the grid. They clearly had the speed during the year, so was the chassis really that bad?

Pre-2014 if someone was to say Mercedes engines would be dominant in 2014, your pick would be Rosberg/Lewis, Perez/Hulk and Button/Kmag in Mercedes/FI/McLaren to be the dominant teams. But Perez/Hulk didn't really show up at all, even McLaren struggled and instead the unproven Bottas and past-it Massa were 2nd best, in a car that finished 17th/18th in the drivers championship in 2013. How'd that happen?
Of all the Mercedes based teams, Force India had the smallest budget. Red Bull had a research and development spend of approximately 80+ million dollars, whereas Force India's total budget was not a vast amount more. By the time the circus got to Europe Force India was already falling behind in the development race.

I think while the engine was clearly better Mercedes also had a very good chassis, only the Red Bull being better, but in straight line speed perhaps the Williams was the absolute superior. So it would be unreasonable to expect the force India to be as good as the Top 4 teams (Mercedes, Red Bull, McLaren and Williams)

So I would say Hulkenberg and Perez did a great job given the lessor hope of real development.

Last edited by Teretonga; 1 Dec 2014 at 10:53.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 11:40 (Ref:3480699)   #27
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
I'm not sure he actually watched any of the races.
I actually watched all races, all from start to finish. Luckily I didn't miss to watch the Austin GP.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 11:42 (Ref:3480700)   #28
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
Like what? You put Magnussen in 5th for one brilliant race at the beginning, yet he has half of JB's points.
Button didn't appear on the podium as I know he was been promoted to 3rd in Australia after Ric's disqualification.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 18:07 (Ref:3480813)   #29
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't have the stamina (or inclination) to list them... I put Hamilton first, but on second thoughts, I should have given it to Ricciardo.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 23:15 (Ref:3480898)   #30
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Of all the Mercedes based teams, Force India had the smallest budget. Red Bull had a research and development spend of approximately 80+ million dollars, whereas Force India's total budget was not a vast amount more. By the time the circus got to Europe Force India was already falling behind in the development race.

I think while the engine was clearly better Mercedes also had a very good chassis, only the Red Bull being better, but in straight line speed perhaps the Williams was the absolute superior. So it would be unreasonable to expect the force India to be as good as the Top 4 teams (Mercedes, Red Bull, McLaren and Williams)

So I would say Hulkenberg and Perez did a great job given the lessor hope of real development.
It's a shame they fell behind in development, it would have been great to see Hulk and Perez, two great drivers, up the front battling with the others. F1 2015 needs the teams to close up on Mercedes a bit. This engine freeze is ridiculous, and the worst case scenario occurred - one engine, built for mainly 1 team (Mercedes), superior to the rest who now can't catch up. I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes are further ahead next year than they were this year, as RB's chassis won't be getting better, I think Williams is doing the best they can. It's down to McLaren to find something...
Old 2 Dec 2014, 13:36 (Ref:3481056)   #31
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get the love for Kvyat on this thread.

Vergne destroyed him this year - 22 points to 8. Yet Vergne doesnt appear on many of the lists.

In the 'rookie of the year' standings, Magnussen destroyed him 55-8.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 20:26 (Ref:3481191)   #32
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Kvyat showed a lot of promise, but for whatever reason few results and I do think putting him in the top ten is a bit OTT.

He was faster than Vergne. That was the killer blow for JEV. right from the start of the season, his sector times and race laps were quicker than Vergne. Initially he wouldn't string it together in qualifying but it didn't take him long. It took him longer to string it all together in the races and I think that's where Vergne took advantage - not enough though, obviously.

In terms of ultimate speed he showed he was (on his day) as far ahead of Vergne as Ricciardo was. Ricciardo, who in turn has just given Vettel a kicking. So I get the logic.
Old 3 Dec 2014, 18:42 (Ref:3481557)   #33
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Must be young Danny. He demolished an admittedly very lucky and over-rated four-time WDC, humiliating him to the extent that he slunk off and signed up for Ferrari. God help him...

Not interested in rating the rest, but Lew did what was expected, Alonso rather more. Bottas is a future star, Hulk and Big John too, probably.

If there's a prize for consistency, dignity, stoicism in the face of unwarranted criticism and boorish behaviour by his team (to say nothing of comprehensively blowing away his team mate) then its Jenson by a country mile.

We shall miss him. And so, perhaps, will Ron...
Old 4 Dec 2014, 04:06 (Ref:3481698)   #34
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl View Post
Don't get the love for Kvyat on this thread.

Vergne destroyed him this year - 22 points to 8. Yet Vergne doesnt appear on many of the lists.

In the 'rookie of the year' standings, Magnussen destroyed him 55-8.
Points aren't so relevant, especially when it's only 14 the difference. The thing I take into consideration as well is that Kyvat is a rookie, straight from GP3 at that, in a season that he didn't actually stand out that much either, despite taking the title. Vergne had a big advantage of already a couple years experience with the team and F1. He shouldn't have been able to match Vergne. But he pretty much did throughout the season.

Same with kmag, just matching Button on pace when you're a rookie means you've done a pretty good job.
Old 5 Dec 2014, 17:27 (Ref:3482272)   #35
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Bottas
2. Ricciardo
3. Alonso
4. Hamilton
5. Bianchi
6. Massa
7. Button
8. Rosberg
9. Magnussen
10. Hulkenberg
11. Vergne
12. Vettel
13. Raikkonen
14. Perez
15. Kvyat
16. Sutil
17. Kobayashi
18. Grosjean
19. Ericssen
20. Maldonado
21. Stevens
22. Gutteriez
23. Chilton
24. Lotterer
Old 10 Dec 2014, 20:36 (Ref:3483804)   #36
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Lewis gets my vote
Old 11 Dec 2014, 00:37 (Ref:3483877)   #37
smellysocks
Racer

Canada
smellysocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Ricciardo
2. Alonso
3. Bottas
4. Hamilton
5. Vergne
6. Button
7. Rosberg
8. Massa
9. Bianchi
10. Hulkenburg
Old 11 Dec 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3484021)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkione View Post

If there's a prize for consistency, dignity, stoicism in the face of unwarranted criticism and boorish behaviour by his team (to say nothing of comprehensively blowing away his team mate) then its Jenson by a country mile.

We shall miss him. And so, perhaps, will Ron...

Or not. As the case may be......
Old 11 Dec 2014, 20:56 (Ref:3484206)   #39
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Autosport's Top 10: http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...735.1415736570

In case the link doesn't work for all,
1. Ricciardo
2. Hamilton
3.Rosberg
4. Bottas
5.Alonso
6. Massa
7.button
8. Hulkenberg
9.Vettel
10. Kyvat
Old 12 Dec 2014, 13:14 (Ref:3484388)   #40
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The team bosses top ten as listed in Autosport.
1 Hamilton
2 Alonso
3 Ricciardo
4 Bottas
5 Rosberg
6 Massa
7 Vetttel
8 Bianchi
9 Button
10 Kvyat

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117125
Old 15 Dec 2014, 03:31 (Ref:3485104)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1 Hamilton
2 Alonso
3 Ricciardo
4 Rosberg
5 Bottas
6 Button
7 Massa
8 Vettel
9 Hulkenberg
10 Kvyat

I gave it to Hamilton, not because of getting the WDC but because how he changed his season round.

There was the petulance, the not shaking of Rosberg's hand and not talking to him, then it all stopped and he got on with what he does best, race, hence the results and the WDC.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 12:00 (Ref:3485197)   #42
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I have a foolproof way of defining the best drivers, in order, for the year.

I use the results of the F1 drivers standings

You know, because that's the order they ended the year in.

It ignores the quality of the cars, problems encountered etc, because those things are unquantifiable. The only quantifiable thing is the final results.

Works for me!

(Congrats to LH for the Sports Personality of the Year, and a very mature acceptance speech. No congrats for the producer of the programme for adding all the crap segments during the evening. What a load of tosh)
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 12:15 (Ref:3485203)   #43
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Although it was good to see Hammy winning last night, personally I voted for Lizzie Yarnold as she used the same equipment as the others and didn't start in her sport from an early age.
It was obvious from the start of the F1 season that the Mercedes drivers had an advantage and one of them was probably going to win the championship, however a result.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Dec 2014, 09:53 (Ref:3485468)   #44
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You are right Gordon; it wasn't the biggest surprise or outcome of the year.

I registered to vote a few days ago and then forgot! I had every intention of voting for Jo Pavey and pleased to note that she came a clear 3rd. Inspirational lady.

Sorry O/T
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 17 Dec 2014, 20:58 (Ref:3485856)   #45
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Hamilton wins the F1 Title, Daniel Ricciardo wins the Tentenths DOY vote..

I want Ricciardo to team up with Hamilton in the future, that would be an awesome match up, I hope to see that happen one day.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 09:08 (Ref:3485989)   #46
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
While appreciating that this thread is about what HAS HAPPENED, I do wonder how history will judge the likes of Ricciardo, Hamilton, Alonso et al.

When one looks back it is names like Fangio, Moss, Clark, Senna, Schumacher that are regularly used as 'icons'.

Will time and distance record any of the above drivers in the same category?

Personally I don't think so, but making predictions is fraught with peril.

Any thoughts?
Old 18 Dec 2014, 11:43 (Ref:3486025)   #47
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
While appreciating that this thread is about what HAS HAPPENED, I do wonder how history will judge the likes of Ricciardo, Hamilton, Alonso et al.

When one looks back it is names like Fangio, Moss, Clark, Senna, Schumacher that are regularly used as 'icons'.

Will time and distance record any of the above drivers in the same category?

Personally I don't think so, but making predictions is fraught with peril.

Any thoughts?
You'll see Vettel up there because of the number of times he won the WDC and the frequency. As for Ricciardo, Hamilton, Alonso, I think it's far too early to say.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 14:49 (Ref:3486071)   #48
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
You'll see Vettel up there because of the number of times he won the WDC and the frequency. As for Ricciardo, Hamilton, Alonso, I think it's far too early to say.
I agree BJ, but multiple World Champions like Brabham, Stewart, Lauda, Piquet are never placed in the icon category, any more than Alain Prost (with four titles) is, and I feel that unless Seb does something spectacular for Ferrari, he will go the same way. There have been many very good and successful drivers who history does not favour. I have seen all of the 'icons' listed, race, and can understand why they have achieved their measure of fame, there name is never forgotten. However, being a WC does not ensure a place in the pantheon of 'greats'.

Fate is fickle I suppose.

Kind regards,

Bauble.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 15:25 (Ref:3486088)   #49
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I agree BJ, but multiple World Champions like Brabham, Stewart, Lauda, Piquet are never placed in the icon category, any more than Alain Prost (with four titles) is, and I feel that unless Seb does something spectacular for Ferrari, he will go the same way. There have been many very good and successful drivers who history does not favour. I have seen all of the 'icons' listed, race, and can understand why they have achieved their measure of fame, there name is never forgotten. However, being a WC does not ensure a place in the pantheon of 'greats'.

Fate is fickle I suppose.

Kind regards,

Bauble.
I don't know about that. Stewart and Lauda are defitely up there and are still prominent figures, particularly Lauda with his role at Mercedes; they even made a movie about him.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 19:05 (Ref:3486161)   #50
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
Spoiler (IMHO) for Ricciardo fans.