Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

View Poll Results: Do you like the new Esses section?
Yes 20 74.07%
No 4 14.81%
Not sure 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 Jun 2002, 08:00 (Ref:317364)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
New Esses Section

So most of us have got to see this section in the flesh. What did everyone think?

I thought it was going to destroy a classic scene with no reward, but I really liked it. In fact we actually abandoned a plan to go over to Indy/Arnage/Mulsanne late on Saturday to watch more of it.

It has certainly finished the traditional view of the cars in a long line descending from the Dunlop Bridge. But now we can see them snake down towards Tetre Rouge.

I liked how there are now three places to overtake not two (although all three are more difficult). They come round the left after the bridge and into the right they can have a go, but this requires a very good exit from Dunlop Chicane and commitment through the first part. However if you failed here there is the short blast out of the right hander into the old esses. This probably requires help from the other car, but the Audi's used this a lot (with and without help!). Then of course there is the normal waiting through the esses until the end and getting a better exit (or just using your extra power) to get down to Tetre Rouge first.

I think they have done a good job, but what does everyone else think?
Old 20 Jun 2002, 08:18 (Ref:317371)   #2
bigh
Racer

bigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say boys, I thought it was awful. On the inside of the track approaching from the Dunlop Bridge, the view got worse and worse. Just as you thought it might improve, some clever chap has decided to build a hut, obscuring the view completely. I particularly liked the way there was a thin strip next to the catch fence where people were 1 deep, at the top of a 1 in 1 slope with a barbed wire fence at the bottom to slow down your fall. A lot of the time on this side the spectator is a good 200m from the track! The view is better from the outside, but the track is still a long way off. As for overtaking, I watched for about 2 hours and didn't see one overtaking manoevre between cars of the same category.
All in all, I didn't think the new section was superior to the old in any way.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 08:21 (Ref:317374)   #3
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. They have created a nice 'bowl' viewing area which was very popular and had great views of the cars swooping through.

However, visiting the Matra exhibition and seeing footage of the cars almost lifting off under the Dunlop Bridge as they were flat out from the Ford chicane all the way to the original Esses reminded me of what we have lost, (and what I never experienced ). That footage seemed like the real Le Mans, the new section with its huge gravel traps didn't quite feel right, despite the fantastic spectacle it undoubtedbly is.

It just seems that Le Mans is moving further and further away from the high speed circuit it was. The Mulsanne and Dunlop chicanes have changed the character of it, and the cars are more stop and go, than the flat-out speed machines of old. So a qualified thumbs up to the new section, nice to look at but difficult to forget what has gone.

Just no pleasing some people I guess.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 08:36 (Ref:317388)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
AllonFS, I think the chicane before the Dunlop Bridge is a worse addition, for the reasons you say.

We thought that about the "bowl" too.

I think that Le Mans is trying to keep the high speed nature of the track, despite the pressures of safety. The new corners are quite quick and they could have just put a piddley little chicane there. In the end they have lengthened the track, but lap times have dropped! While the progress of cars explains this it does mean that the new layout must be quite quick.

bigh, I was on the outside and never visited the inside. It did look like the view from over there was quite poor. A bit like looking over the Sahara to see the cars. Mind you this is nothing when compared to Silverstone!
Old 20 Jun 2002, 08:50 (Ref:317406)   #5
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I liked the new section a thought it offered some good veiwing.I would agree with bigh that the veiwing strip on the inside of the track was far too narrow.
The whole thing could be massively improved however by removing the chicane which I think is now no longer needed as the cars would be slowed by the new section with its large run off area. It would be fabulous to see the cars entering the new section at full speed and would make this section far more exiting. Does anyone else agree
Old 20 Jun 2002, 09:20 (Ref:317421)   #6
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've only seen it on TV, it didn't look too bad but it isn't a patch on the old section, that was something special, something that IMO should never have been touched.

Another thing I found interesting though when watchin somebuild up programmes is that many drivers hate the Mulsanne chicanes, in fact Henri Pescarolo went as far to say that he thought they made it more dangerous and that he doesn't think they should be there. Someone else also said many drivers didn't like them at all and that they put too much added stress on the drivers.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 09:53 (Ref:317446)   #7
hgb
Racer

hgb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really don't know. On the one hand, it's not as bad as I expected and the drivers seem to like it. On the other hand however, the spectator area on the inside moved too far away from the track.
As for the two chicanes on the Mulsanne straight, many drivers used the long straight to ease up a bit. Now that the straight is split into three parts, there is no more possibility to ease up. That's why the drivers don't like the chicanes. What I don't understand is why the ACO don't open the chicanes for public viewing.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 12:26 (Ref:317564)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was impressed by the new viewing areas (although they were too small), but the new section takes away some of the magic of the original Esses when they were hidden amongst the trees. Also, it might be my imagination but are the cars now exitting that sections faster than they used to?
Old 20 Jun 2002, 12:30 (Ref:317569)   #9
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i agree with hgb...both chicanes could have a temporary grandstand so the public could see the cars on the mulsanne and slowing down and going thru. the track of earth on the inside at the esses could also be enlarged to give a great view of the cars coming down the new section.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 18:17 (Ref:317761)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I voted yes. A few months ago I wouldn't have believed that.

I voted yes specifically for the view from the inside of the track at the entrance to the Esses - where the hill used to be at the bottom of the run down from the Bridge. I thought the view from there was great, overtaking or no overtaking. (And there was one small place where you could take pictures with little or no debris fencing in the way!).

I thought the view from the outside of the circuit was poor. The track is now so far from the spectator area, comparsed to what it was like before.

My original view does remain though. It should never have been necessary to change the layout to accommodate some other form of racing on the Bugatti. My view of that approach will never change.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 18:23 (Ref:317765)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought the new section was pretty good, I managed to get some good video footage in the early hours of the morning, wanting for the pictures to come and then I will make my mind up.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 19:50 (Ref:317805)   #12
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As brilliant as the old section was. I like the new section, as it brings a new challenge to the race.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 18:24 (Ref:318336)   #13
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I thought the view from the outside of the circuit was poor. The track is now so far from the spectator area, comparsed to what it was like before.
True about the fact that the track is far, but not agree with the fact that the view is poor : after our Tertre Rouge pilgrimage, we went back by the external part, and made lots of stops up the hill : great view on a large part of the track, even sitting on the ground (!), and allowing to follow the cars on a wide range between the Dunlop and the esses...

I voted "yes", beeing against it initialy...
Old 21 Jun 2002, 20:12 (Ref:318382)   #14
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK I don't know whether to do a separate poll for this but those of you who voted yes, Do you prefer the new section or the old one?
Old 21 Jun 2002, 21:37 (Ref:318454)   #15
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i liked the new section, but would still have prefered the old. They moved the big wheel, you no longer get a view of the whole circuit!
Old 22 Jun 2002, 07:37 (Ref:318702)   #16
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
OK I don't know whether to do a separate poll for this but those of you who voted yes, Do you prefer the new section or the old one?
Paul, it's so different... I'd love to keep the circuit as it was, but the question now is to offer a great race/show with modern (well, FIA) safety conditions...

Old declimbing is now a souvenir, a nice postcard that we will talk about between oldies (sorry newbies !)...

Show must go on...
Old 22 Jun 2002, 08:27 (Ref:318710)   #17
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think i understand where ayse means...and like i said i think some sort of grandstand at the inside bottom at the esses would make superb viewing, something along the lines of the stand on the inside at the dunlop chicane. can you imagine the view all the way down?
Old 22 Jun 2002, 10:18 (Ref:318753)   #18
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab

Paul, it's so different... I'd love to keep the circuit as it was, but the question now is to offer a great race/show with modern (well, FIA) safety conditions...

Yes but when such a historic and emotive piece of track is lost and it isn't because of the Circuit de la Sarthe then I think its a crying shame.

Just my two cents worth.

Last edited by paulzinho; 22 Jun 2002 at 10:19.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 10:43 (Ref:318759)   #19
kdr
Veteran

i understand the historic and emotive reasons...but when i watched "le mans" on television a few months back, and so how close the public were - i just thought "sheeeeeet....thats suicidal!"
Old 22 Jun 2002, 15:35 (Ref:319018)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
When such a historic and emotive piece of track is lost and it isn't because of the Circuit de la Sarthe then I think its a crying shame.
It is, but it's done, no chance to go back... and the result is not so bad... A lot of changes has been done in the last 40 years, and Le Mans is still Le Mans.

Let's remember, for the pleasure, but roll on 2003 and a real race : the most important thing is to keep it, and with real battles on the track... 'll be more frightened by another domination like Audi' one...
Old 24 Jun 2002, 09:03 (Ref:320230)   #21
froglet
Rookie

England
Snodland, Kent
froglet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite enjoyed watching the cars through the new section when I wasn't falling on my arse ! Why don't they bank the viewing area properly ? Concrete steps perhaps ? If we'd have had last years rain the whole area would have been washed away !! Still I reckon it's areally satisfying section for the drivers when they get it right, must have the biggest grins in the world !
Old 24 Jun 2002, 11:25 (Ref:320304)   #22
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted NO as I am tired of the endless attempts to make racing "safe" by dumbing it down and putting the spectators in Belgium to watch so they won't run any risk. Pretty soon they will put up more wide screen TVs and not allow any spectators near the real track.

I lliked the old track. And I couldn't get within five people of the fence in the new area, even using my elbows. I am too short to see over most people.

And just for the record, why are the people hugging the fence always over six feet tall and planted like trees?
Old 24 Jun 2002, 23:54 (Ref:320852)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I am surprised how many of us thought that the new section was good!

I would also like to say that the crowd you get at Le Mans is always one of the most courteous and friendly you will see.

We had a Frenchman and a German congratulate us and shake our hands because England won the football! A very nice gesture. The spirit when the national anthems were being played was excellent. Everyone stood up and sang their own and everyone applauded each others. Top stuff. Good crowd.

When out spectating a bit of patience meant you could get to the front and most who were staying at the same point for a long time settled themselves down further up the hill. There was no pushing or shoving going on and everyone let the kids get to the front.

I think that it seems from what has been said that the outside of the new complex was the place to be. You were no further away than previous years and the viewing was better.
Old 25 Jun 2002, 13:32 (Ref:321257)   #24
Rcutler
Rookie

Rcutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Esses

I personally liked the new part of the circuit as there are becoming fewer and fewer spectator areas with FIA regs. We found a great place to watch on the inside of the Terte Rouge corner there was a large enbankment that had a very small viewing area at the top. For some reason not many people had found it or they were S**T scares being there!! You were barely 2ft from the track. One of the guys I was with asked if a car crashes what way would I run, I replied 'run?'.
The filming was good on the inside however it would be nice if the floodlights were switched off for all or part of the night.

As for over taking the drivers were saying in prequals that they had lost an over taking place.
Old 25 Jun 2002, 13:37 (Ref:321262)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Re: New Esses

Quote:
Originally posted by Rcutler
As for over taking the drivers were saying in prequals that they had lost an over taking place.
I remember them saying this too. I think you are generally right. The single into the esses opportunity has been replaced by two dodgey opportuninites (into the first part, or into the second part old esses). However it didn't seem to make much difference to the Audi drivers. Going for it everywhere!