Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Oct 2002, 11:44 (Ref:404751)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BBC planning bid for F1 coverage

It's reported in the Daily Mail that the BBC are preparing a bid for the F1 coverage.

ITV's contract runs out in 2005, the BBC are planning a £175m bid to regain the F1 coverage as their flagship sport's coverage.

Interesting one ......
Old 15 Oct 2002, 11:51 (Ref:404763)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it cant be any worse.....no adverts too ?.....i wonder if they will try and take over Digital coverage from Sky ?
Old 15 Oct 2002, 12:02 (Ref:404779)   #3
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Remember that the BBC and Sky now have a joint contract to run terrestial digital services in the UK - it would therefore be logical for them to follow this route
Old 15 Oct 2002, 12:11 (Ref:404795)   #4
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
remember that BBC story about F1/ITV? allow me to post several excerpts:

[...]
ITV1's following is similarly diminishing. A drop of 600,000 viewers
[...]
The flow of traffic departing ITV1 may well have consisted of dissatisfied fans heading for BBC TWO's coverage of the Rockingham[...]

Last edited by Red; 15 Oct 2002 at 12:11.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 13:43 (Ref:404879)   #5
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The flow of traffic departing ITV1 may well have consisted of dissatisfied fans heading for BBC TWO's coverage of the Rockingham[...]
If it did I'm sure they all headed back after seeing how disastrous the coverage was. 20 mins to cover a 2 hour race, not showing any of the incidents!
Old 15 Oct 2002, 14:10 (Ref:404906)   #6
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes , i agree ,BBC didnt exactly cover them selfs with glory on that one...still , at least there would be no adverts .
Old 15 Oct 2002, 14:15 (Ref:404913)   #7
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red

The flow of traffic departing ITV1 may well have consisted of dissatisfied fans heading for BBC TWO's coverage of the Rockingham[...][/i]
Unlikely - they had about the most appalling coverage of any event (sporting or otherwise) I think I've ever seen. It was pretty disgraceful.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 14:38 (Ref:404933)   #8
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as the BBC take Martin Brundle with them it should be good coverage as it is the BBC who do the British GP for ITV!
The upside is no Jim Rosenthal so it would not be bad move, at least Steve Ryder is a motorsport fan. So I am all for it
Old 15 Oct 2002, 14:44 (Ref:404937)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Steve Ryder use to host the Grand Prix's very well during the 90's .....It makes Jim Ros look very flat indeed , just like he's reading the autocue.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 15:12 (Ref:404951)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If we are picking the presenting line up already....Martin Brundle a must - biff out James 'dull' Allen for Ben Edwards, whilst we are at it let's clear out Tony 'statin' the bleedin' obvious' Jardine and Mark Blunder.

Studio pundits - Irvine (live can you imagine it) and possibly Damon or Perry McCarthy.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 15:20 (Ref:404956)   #11
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they'd be going off to the horses all the time...
Old 15 Oct 2002, 15:49 (Ref:404976)   #12
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well now Murray's retired we don't really have much to lose do we? James Allen isn't great, I think a fresh start is in order. As long as we don't have to switch over to cricket or a World Cup competition. I wouldn't mind if it was a couple of very short breaks like ITV for the benefit of news bulletins but that's as far as I'm prepared for.

I suppose it would also be a bit more appropriate too, since we are paying for what's normally on BBC anyway. Just hope they do a good job of it, that's all.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 15 Oct 2002, 15:52 (Ref:404977)   #13
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right, let's get this sorted:

Commentary: Martin Brundle and Mika Hakkinen (he did a damn fine job on Canal Digital for the Finn's the other week)
Presenter: ME! More enthusiastic than Jim (and I know a lot more about F1 - honest!
Pitlane: Louise Goodman (she's pretty good actually) and I think I can cope with Ted.
Analysis: ME (I can do two jobs you know) and somebody else who isn't biased about one particular driver/team. Trouble is, I can't think of anybody... Unless Mr V and Liz want to consider the job! Might even be a chair for Red if he wants it.

Oh, and I'll drop the "Hello magazine" bit. It will mean making Beverly-"let's-go-shopping-with-some-driver-female-bit-on-the-side-as-I'm-too-dim-to-know-what-a-F1-car-is" Turner redundant but I can live with that and I'm sure most others can too.

Can I have my contract now please?
Old 15 Oct 2002, 15:58 (Ref:404980)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Suzy

You sound great!

Far as I'm concerned you're hired - where do I sign?
Old 15 Oct 2002, 16:26 (Ref:404999)   #15
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To pick up on Super Tourers comment above, instead of Eddie Irvine live in the Studio, how about Eddie live on the commentary. He would soon become the true replacement for James Hunt.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 15 Oct 2002, 16:40 (Ref:405008)   #16
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
pit lane girl has to be SUZI PERRY !

end of story !..sorry

Last edited by Sato san; 15 Oct 2002 at 16:41.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 18:31 (Ref:405100)   #17
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Suzy, you've got my vote for the technical analysis job for sure.

If I'm hesitant about the actual "anchor" job, it's only because I would dearly like to see an injustice righted that was perpetrated back in '97 when Jim Rosenthal got the job. Mike Smith was up for the job and didn't get it.

Yes, Mike Smith - Late, Late Breakfast Show and Dream Wheels Mike Smith.

Racing driver - to BTCC level, he would certainly know what he was on about, as well as having 25 years of broadcasting experience.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 19:18 (Ref:405122)   #18
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
well.....im with you there TIM !......what a great idea , Mike Smith !...he would fit the bill perfectly .
Old 15 Oct 2002, 20:28 (Ref:405161)   #19
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd give Clarkson a few minutes each week as well - preferably to deflate someone's ego. E.g.

"Well Ross, never mind backache, do you realise that for most of us Ferrari are a constant pain in the a**e."

"TW? He's as likely to show up as a bacon roll at a Jewish wedding."

You know the sort of thing!

Perhaps he could do the 'Hello' shopping type bit.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 20:46 (Ref:405177)   #20
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would be great to see F1 back on the BBC, but somehow I can not see it happening.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 23:07 (Ref:405288)   #21
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
I'd give Clarkson a few minutes each week as well - preferably to deflate someone's ego. E.g.

"
Clarkeson would just say at the beginning of the show....dont watch this ....turn over and watch something else.....

Old 16 Oct 2002, 13:00 (Ref:405714)   #22
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on Suzy - you forgot me in that list!

Jeremy Clarkson would be BRILLIANT as the post race analysis! Can you just imagine what a Jeremy Clarkson grid walk would be like!?

Personally I'd love to see F1 back on the BBC - you don't spend £175 million on something and do a bad job - and it's not like they have any other major sports to make way for...finishing early for the football my arse!

If they put Formula 1 on BBC 2 they'd be able to devote much much more coverage to it, and no-one would have any reason to complain as they still get to see the old Eastenders omnibus of a sunday afternoon...
Old 16 Oct 2002, 13:20 (Ref:405730)   #23
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does this mean we don't get to see cricket as much as now?
Would Murray return, or is his retirement definitive?
Old 16 Oct 2002, 13:21 (Ref:405731)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Damnit, i miss Murray...
Old 16 Oct 2002, 13:29 (Ref:405737)   #25
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like BBC to have the F1 coverage again. ITV on the whole just annoy me, with their shortened press conferences, inept advert timing and "Coronation Street will follow very shortly".

Johnny Herbert would be good in the commentary box or in the studio. Having Irvine there as well would be quite amusing also.