Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Aug 2018, 07:20 (Ref:3843717)   #1326
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I’d have thought Newgarden or Pagenaud would be higher up any shopping list than Rossi; but in any event I just don’t see drivers migrating from Indy Car to F1 any time soon. With the exception of Montoya, it hasn’t been a happy history for some time.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 08:14 (Ref:3843726)   #1327
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So one more seat up for grabs. This is gonna shake up the driver's market. This is going to be an exciting silly season
Old 15 Aug 2018, 14:42 (Ref:3843790)   #1328
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Sainz is experienced but how are his development skills?
No idea.

Quote:
is he big enough to draw in sponsors?
If the car is good he certainly can draw big sponsors.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 14:43 (Ref:3843791)   #1329
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
as for the Kimster's motivation...who knows what motivates that guy!
A few McLaren road cars and some ice cream should do.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 18:18 (Ref:3843851)   #1330
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Autosport seem to be working on the assumption that it will be Sainz at McLaren, with Gasly getting the nod for Red Bull. They’re usually pretty on-the-money on these things.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 09:22 (Ref:3843967)   #1331
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Autosport seem to be working on the assumption that it will be Sainz at McLaren, with Gasly getting the nod for Red Bull. They’re usually pretty on-the-money on these things.
Since the boss at McLaren is part of the ownership group of Autosport...

...you might hope they are right sometimes...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Aug 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3843992)   #1332
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Official: Sainz to McLaren
Old 16 Aug 2018, 12:39 (Ref:3843993)   #1333
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
On his twitter and elsewhere..... https://mobile.twitter.com/Carlossai...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Old 16 Aug 2018, 12:53 (Ref:3843996)   #1334
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Official: Sainz to McLaren
At least that's been sorted out, now for the rest of the Silly Season to unravel.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 14:14 (Ref:3844012)   #1335
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
McLaren didn’t have very many options, but Sainz is a good choice, I think. Real potential, and young enough (23?) to forge a long-term future. Be interesting to see how he goes.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 17:16 (Ref:3844058)   #1336
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think McLaren will do well out of this, a hard young charger with great potential. What will happen to Vandoorne or Norris now?
Old 16 Aug 2018, 18:18 (Ref:3844069)   #1337
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Logic would suggest that Alonso’s departure strengthens Vandoorne’s case on grounds of continuity.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3844075)   #1338
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
putting aside internet bravado and all that, did anyone really see this coming a month ago?
Old 16 Aug 2018, 18:57 (Ref:3844078)   #1339
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alonso leaving? Totally. Lots here have been saying it for 2-3 years.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3844080)   #1340
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Mark Webber was certain it was coming when he was commentating at Spielberg.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 19:01 (Ref:3844082)   #1341
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alonso himself admitted the decision was made months ago.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 19:03 (Ref:3844083)   #1342
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
putting aside internet bravado and all that, did anyone really see this coming a month ago?
This was posted in and indycar discussion in may 2017.....

Quote:
I don't think Alonso is finished with F1 yet. But this may have whetted his appetite for 2019 or 2020.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 19:06 (Ref:3844084)   #1343
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
This was posted in and indycar discussion in may 2017.....
i was mostly thinking of sainz replacing him tbh.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 19:27 (Ref:3844089)   #1344
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I don’t claim to have predicted Alonso’s departure, though I thought it was a possibility, and became more likely the worse McLaren’s travails became. I didn’t see Sainz’s hiring coming, that I freely confess.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 20:15 (Ref:3844094)   #1345
S griffin
Veteran

I could see Fred’s announcement coming, he looked more and more like he wanted to find a new challenge
Old 16 Aug 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3844100)   #1346
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
as bad as his car was and might have been next year, he is also walking away from (i would guess) somewhere between 20-30mil a year and with a team that would have let him pursue the triple crown dream.

i was pretty shocked by the announcement.

Sainz is also a bit of a shocker to me. the Mclaren is what it is now so i suppose you cant expect a top flight name combined with a lack of other options, but i feel its a fairly uninspired choice. i doubt Ron Dennis would have made a similar signing in this situation.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 20:42 (Ref:3844101)   #1347
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Who else was available? Pérez? Been there, done that. Grosjean? Flaky. Magnussen? Same as Pérez.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 20:48 (Ref:3844102)   #1348
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
No top-liner would be that keen although they must have offered Ricciardo Alonso-type money.

Sainz would be cheap if uninspiring and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up #2 once again on speed.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 21:27 (Ref:3844107)   #1349
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Who else was available? Pérez? Been there, done that. Grosjean? Flaky. Magnussen? Same as Pérez.
until Kimi signs with Ferrari he is still available! probably a non starter with Kimi though as you have pointed out previously but that was the hope i was holding out for.

personally i do rate Perez and certainly rate him as an overachiever in sub par cars. i would have liked to have seen his return to Woking.

but you are no doubt correct, Sainz was available right now so they picked him up and if he does impress next year i for one will be more than happy to change my opinion on him. actually i look forward to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
No top-liner would be that keen although they must have offered Ricciardo Alonso-type money.
thats one of my questions as well...if they knew Alonso was leaving then how aggressive have they been over the last few months when there were more drivers available.

if DR wasnt an option then was there a deal to be made for the Hulk rather than the driver who lost out at Renault and RB?

blind speculation on may part and maybe they did try different things and Sainz was all that was left to them. i really dont know.

but that just leaves me feeling that this has all been a bit rushed (more for the sake of filling column inches imo)...its not like Sainz was going somewhere else.

they could have waited no?
Old 16 Aug 2018, 21:40 (Ref:3844109)   #1350
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Comes across as an Alonso-influenced Brown decision - just like all the other bad choices.