Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 30 Nov 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2344328)   #1
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cold Fire | The Ultimate Fire Extinguisher????

Only came across this the other day. On sale since 1991!

Anyone used it? Is it really that much better than normal AFFF?

Quote:
Cold Fire is a non-toxic, eco-friendly fire extinguishing agent that can put out any Class A, B or D fire - structures, brush, cars and tires, metals, hydrocarbons and polar solvents - in less time, with a fraction of the water.
Check out where a piece of magnesium is picked up with bare hands about ten seconds after it was on fire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WTi44XvKds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DyGDc4d4i0

more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_Fire_(product)

Last edited by dtype38; 30 Nov 2008 at 21:47.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 00:17 (Ref:2344550)   #2
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your link didn't quite work, so here's my attempt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_Fire_(product)
Old 5 Dec 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2348399)   #3
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless it's FIA (or MSA in the UK) approved, you can't use it officially. You may be able to carry it around for extra ballast (like I carried an ABC powder extinguisher in my car, along side the AFFF plumbed in job)
Many scrutineering arguments will follow no doubt (if you have one!)
"you can't have that, it's not in the blue book...."
Old 5 Dec 2008, 21:31 (Ref:2348458)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Well, the AFFF extinguishers that we have been made to have for the last few years should realy be properly assessed. To put a blanket ban on the old CTC type so that we help to save the planet etc is ridiculous IMHO as we are not firing them off everyday for a laugh ! Although the military and the CAA are still allowed to use them, why, because they work well and don't leave a corrosive mess.
I don't know how many 10/10thers have had a serious fire and had to try them out, but compared with the outlawed Pyrene (CTC ) one's they ain't too good.
I had a petrol fire in my racecar at work and 1 might as well have "peed" on it for what good the plumbed in one did ! It was a good job someone picked up a workshop one and ran to assist me otherwise I would have lost the car.
Also as the newer one's chemicals are highly corrosive the car needs to be pressure washed off pretty quickly afterwards (if there's anything left ! )

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 5 Dec 2008 at 21:35.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Dec 2008, 00:33 (Ref:2348554)   #5
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Reply

IRL rescue trucks are equipped with "Cold Fire". Other pro-sports oganizers may also employ it.

Old 8 Dec 2008, 20:17 (Ref:2350462)   #6
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear
IRL rescue trucks are equipped with "Cold Fire". Other pro-sports oganizers may also employ it.

Wonder how they rate it against AFFF?
Old 8 Dec 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2350540)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12
Wonder how they rate it against AFFF?
Did the "powers that be" even know about it when they knew the CTF ban was coming in ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Dec 2008, 13:54 (Ref:2356811)   #8
Turby
Rookie

England
Gloucestershire
Turby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AFFF - next to useless IMHO. Did a rally at Pembrey just after the change to AFFF and a Cozzy had an under bonnet oil fire. Tried plumbed-in system and 7! hand-helds from the following cars to put it out all without success. In the end someone got hold of a powder extinguisher and put it out in a few seconds.

AFFF just bounces off radiators, at least the old BCF's went through and filled the engine bay!
CSCC TinTops #7
Old 17 Dec 2008, 17:29 (Ref:2357098)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
So I'm not the only one ranting on about them