Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Feb 2017, 16:13 (Ref:3715331)   #26
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
They probably didn't have any spares - it could be something relatively minor that got broken but if they didn't have another one with them then it's game over until a new one is made and flown out...
true true...still though it seems odd to not have a replacement front wing. or rather seems like a small team problem.

but then again, i dont actually know how extensive the damage was and what needed replacing.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 16:19 (Ref:3715334)   #27
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
true true...still though it seems odd to not have a replacement front wing. or rather seems like a small team problem.

but then again, i dont actually know how extensive the damage was and what needed replacing.
The wing was only an example - it could be anything! At this stage spares for everything will be limited.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3715337)   #28
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Really hope Honda get on top of everything quickly. Running around in safe mode / breaking down on both days is a little bit concerning...
Pathetic Pathetic Pathetic
Old 28 Feb 2017, 16:32 (Ref:3715339)   #29
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
They probably didn't have any spares - it could be something relatively minor that got broken but if they didn't have another one with them then it's game over until a new one is made and flown out. I guess at this stage if the season the parts are still some way away from what will be on the car at the first race so there isn't a stockpile of spares.

If you're testing wing 'a' and the designers are already working on wings 'b' and 'c' then if you break wing 'a' you probably don't have another one of those as you weren't planning on using it long term. So as soon as you break wing 'a' you either get the composite guys to knock up another and fly it out or push to get wing 'b' finished and fly that out.
Two years ago it seemed to take them 2 races to make a wing......
Old 28 Feb 2017, 17:19 (Ref:3715348)   #30
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kimi on top after day 2 so thats got to be seen as encouraging.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/b...ay-two-878253/

less encouraging is the number of laps the two Merc drivers have put down which is something close to 100 more laps then Ferrari...maybe something to be said for the split day approach.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 18:24 (Ref:3715357)   #31
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
yeah not a great first outing for Stroll but at the same time it seemed like a fairly ordinary, if not minor, type of off.

so for me its a bit surprising that the damage was such that Williams had to suspend running in order to send the composite parts back to their factory.

just speculating, but i wonder if they were surprised by the level of damage caused and/or needed to send the broken bits back to the factory for more extensive analysis...hoping its just precautionary.
BBC live text said it was a damaged front wing / nose cone - and they did not have a spare.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 18:58 (Ref:3715364)   #32
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

less encouraging is the number of laps the two Merc drivers have put down which is something close to 100 more laps then Ferrari...maybe something to be said for the split day approach.
Kimi on top is nice for a change. Again, early days. One thing for sure: the cars are blazing fast this year. Faster already than the race lap record, and closing in on the absolute fastest lap which is 1.19.954.

Too bad about Lance. Rookie mistake. He'll get it together next time.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 19:06 (Ref:3715366)   #33
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Neppatsrev Xam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Ferrari was fastes 5 out of 8 test days last year, and how many races did they win?
Old 28 Feb 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3715373)   #34
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neppatsrev Xam View Post
Ferrari was fastes 5 out of 8 test days last year, and how many races did they win?
None that I can remember. But lets try to stay optimistic
Old 28 Feb 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3715378)   #35
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
BBC live text said it was a damaged front wing / nose cone - and they did not have a spare.
probably overthinking things but something about that just feels odd to me.

were they only going to use one wing/nose element over 4 days of testing?

cars get damaged during testing...what was their backup plan in case a fairly predicable incident happened?

in this day and age and with so few testing opportunities, one would think a fairly well funded team like Williams would show up with some more options to test out.

anyways im going to stop speculating about this for fear i might be going full tin foil hat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Too bad about Lance. Rookie mistake. He'll get it together next time.
yeah too bad but agreed, he'll get it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neppatsrev Xam View Post
im still holding out for a competitive Ferrari this year so im not going to answer that question!

hope springs eternal my friend!
Old 1 Mar 2017, 02:15 (Ref:3715418)   #36
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Lap record is 1:21.670. Set in '09 by Raikkonen. We can safely say that will be broken today during day 2.

edit: Hamilton is almost there. 1:21.766!
Actually the lap record is 1:19.9.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 06:01 (Ref:3715438)   #37
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Agree. As per last year, the reason for the split duties for days 3 and 4 was because Mercedes didn't expect to do as many laps as they did in the first 2 days.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/motorsport/2...testing-plans/

And Mercedes also split driving duties in 2015.

https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/mer...friday-report/

[post = melodramatic]Amazing that Hamilton was able to complete one and a half straight days testing there, but Rosberg struggled to just complete the other half day without whinging.[/melodramatic]

Mercedes F1 have been splitting driving duties since the 2010 pre season tests for various reasons. But don't let the truth get in the way of your hatred towards a certain driver. Think CNN would be very happy to have you reporting for them.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 08:17 (Ref:3715471)   #38
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
Actually the lap record is 1:19.9.
Actually, the Circuit de Catalunya lap record is 1:21.670, set during the race in 2008 by Kimi Raikkonen. The fastest lap is 1:19.954, set in Q2 by Barrichello in 2009.

Most of, if not all of the lap records will be broken this year, guaranteed. And they could also break the fastest lap records during qualifying this year. If they manage to break the current recorded fastest lap times during the race, it will be an great achievement as the recorded fastest lap times were in mid-to-late 2000's with lighter fuel loads and with better rubber. To break those times during a race will be something indeed.

And I think it could happen. The 2017 cars will be the fastest F1 cars of all time.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 09:25 (Ref:3715491)   #39
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Here we go... one team has been asked to change it's suspension design as it doesn't comply with the rules. No official word on which team it is, but rumours suggest it's a top level team.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 10:26 (Ref:3715499)   #40
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ferrari and Kimi looking good, RBR not so. Shame really, they need to have a car to challenge for the wins from the start so Danny and Max can use their talent to the full
Old 1 Mar 2017, 10:40 (Ref:3715503)   #41
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Fastest time of the test so far, 1:20.107 from Bottas!
Old 1 Mar 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3715507)   #42
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Here we go... one team has been asked to change it's suspension design as it doesn't comply with the rules. No official word on which team it is, but rumours suggest it's a top level team.
Which begs the question - is it a breach of rules or not?
Surely, if it is in breach of rules they would be told to change, or face exclusion from races.
Being asked to change suggests that it is not mandatory to do so.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 13:24 (Ref:3715549)   #43
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There was an article (on James Allens website I think) that said Ferrari had questioned the Mercedes and Red Bull suspension.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3715552)   #44
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Which begs the question - is it a breach of rules or not?
Surely, if it is in breach of rules they would be told to change, or face exclusion from races.
Being asked to change suggests that it is not mandatory to do so.
They can run whatever they like in testing. They can only be told in qualiying/race.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 13:50 (Ref:3715556)   #45
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
They can run whatever they like in testing. They can only be told in qualiying/race.
So - why bother asking them to change it during testing?

To my mind, it should be a clear message:
Either - 'that suspension design is a breach of the rules and will see you excluded from races', or 'that suspension design has been assessed and is fine'.

Rumour I have heard is that it is Ferrari who's suspension is the design in question. Having queried the Mercedes and Red Bull designs, they have been informed that Mercedes passed inspection - Red Bull's has not been inspected yet, and that theirs is the one that does not meet the regulations.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 14:13 (Ref:3715561)   #46
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
So - why bother asking them to change it during testing?

To my mind, it should be a clear message:
Either - 'that suspension design is a breach of the rules and will see you excluded from races', or 'that suspension design has been assessed and is fine'.
I think that you may be taking the words too literally. As there are no FIA Stewards present at the testing sessions, all the FIA representatives can do is advise the teams on their interpretation of the relevant rules and regulations. As Kempi states, as long as the cars pass the safety aspects of scrutineering, then the teams are free to run the cars in whatever configuration that they please.

The FIA only asked the team, whichever it was, to change the suspension system as it would not be allowed to be used for a race. It is up to the team when they change the system, but they have now been put on notice that it does not comply to the latest FIA interpretation of the rules and regulations.

And do not forget, so I believe, that the testing sessions, although sanctioned by the FIA, are actually organised and run by the teams. The FIA are there only to ensure that the cars meet their safety requirements and apart from that, they are merely observers.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 14:15 (Ref:3715562)   #47
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Actually, the Circuit de Catalunya lap record is 1:21.670, set during the race in 2008 by Kimi Raikkonen. The fastest lap is 1:19.954, set in Q2 by Barrichello in 2009.

Most of, if not all of the lap records will be broken this year, guaranteed. And they could also break the fastest lap records during qualifying this year. If they manage to break the current recorded fastest lap times during the race, it will be an great achievement as the recorded fastest lap times were in mid-to-late 2000's with lighter fuel loads and with better rubber. To break those times during a race will be something indeed.

And I think it could happen. The 2017 cars will be the fastest F1 cars of all time.
It's from 2009. Barrichello set it in qualifying as you said.

There was an unofficial faster lap set by Massa in 2008 during testing: http://www.f1technical.net/news/8800

Race laps =! ultimate pace (see the last few years for the delta between the two). They're doing qualifying sims with ultra soft rubber during this test so I think my comment is reasonable - we should compare apples to apples.

Personally I don't think it's a "great achievement" to beat lap records from almost a decade ago with newer technology and higher budgets, but your mileage may vary.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 14:50 (Ref:3715569)   #48
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Hmmm, Vettel with a 1'19"952 on softs. Pirelli are saying we will be in the 1.18's by the end of testing. These are the fastest cars in the history of F1.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 15:32 (Ref:3715577)   #49
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Stroll has binned the Williams again - into the barriers this time.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 16:13 (Ref:3715591)   #50
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
he looks to have put in a good number of laps but not a good way to end ones first test.

sharp contrast to what sounds like a successful first impression for Giovinazzi yesterday in the Sauber.