Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Mar 2016, 14:11 (Ref:3624236)   #16
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
@carbon_titanium
I can agree with you regarding performance balancing. Manufacturers should make bodykits that are inefficient by it slightly resembles the whole brand/specific road car.

The only that counts is the driver's skill. Whoever is better on driving the DPi wins the race!
well, then IMSA more than lmp2, had to choose the DTM route with spec aero parts for everyone. Once again it would be required a main factor: a direct manufacturers effort.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 14:33 (Ref:3624254)   #17
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DPi: great potential for growth of class competitors and series exposure, and equally great potential for a management mess...with BOP and the whole "keeping a link with ACO".

My personal feelings are:
1.) a strange feeling that ACO will follow our lead at some point down the road with their version of DPi. LMP1 for privateers isn't that far off anyway. Almost reminiscent of the GroupC/GTP to WSC era. Great for us right?

2.)BOP is necessary I guess but too much BOP I don't like. Nascar drove off a lot of fans when the cars were pretty much the same. And while racing between drivers is important...motorsports is unique in that there is also competition between the machines i.e. Ford vs Chevy. Rivalries like that are great. But the philosophy of DP and now DPi make those irrelevant. Motors with the same power curve, spec aero, etc. maybe great for an amateur class but top flagship class?
Old 19 Mar 2016, 16:05 (Ref:3624336)   #18
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
well, then IMSA more than lmp2, had to choose the DTM route with spec aero parts for everyone. Once again it would be required a main factor: a direct manufacturers effort.
For me, the DTM regulations is a failure because it's slow to implement. Besides, the problem lies with the Germans that selling the regs to the likes of Japan and USA would cope their losses, but it did little to gain revenues.

Speaking of Japan, Super GT might consider changing the top GT500 to a GT3-based car platform in the future since they can't convince the Germans to adopt their turbocharged inline-4 engines. So much for rule unification.

Now back to DPi as having the same torque, power, and everything else in the top class is like playing a sterile fighting game where you have 8 characters with equal moves. Honestly, IMSA is basically doing the same thing as ACO's LMP2 class but with manufacturer support.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 18:58 (Ref:3624470)   #19
Aces
Rookie

United States
Aces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also think that we won't see many European teams doing full season entries. Most likely for NAEC but that's about it. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a lot cheaper to do a full season in WEC or ELMS compared to IMSA?
Old 19 Mar 2016, 19:11 (Ref:3624471)   #20
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When we move to DPi, are Panoz planning a car? Or are we going to still have the DeltaWing? Or the DeltaWing GT?
Old 19 Mar 2016, 19:33 (Ref:3624480)   #21
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would love to see Panoz return to GT racing: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...-1-only-890000

Old 20 Mar 2016, 03:54 (Ref:3624989)   #22
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hoping IMSA allows Protoypes outside of the chosen 4 under special waivers or something.

Like the DW or a Roadster. They just can't be race anywhere else but IMSA. I wonder what Coyote will do?

I think if Class 1 regs are use, I hope they are not part of the main championship. It should it's own series that run 100 mile sprint races.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 04:06 (Ref:3624995)   #23
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Like the DW or a Roadster. They just can't be race anywhere else but IMSA. I wonder what Coyote will do?
Coyote is owned by Spirit of Daytona. SoD will probably continue in DPi.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 04:07 (Ref:3624997)   #24
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
I think if Class 1 regs are use, I hope they are not part of the main championship. It should it's own series that run 100 mile sprint races.
The problem is that DTM USA is dead before it started, as well as "bureaucratic" problems regarding rule unification.

Germany wanted cost-containment while Japan wanted car development, personally I believe that the former shouldn't sell their regulations to the latter as they won't get anything in return!
Old 20 Mar 2016, 07:55 (Ref:3625069)   #25
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Coyote is owned by Spirit of Daytona. SoD will probably continue in DPi.
You mean Action Express?

It is something I'm somewhat curious about. If the Coyote business is building the DP chassis and parts for them, what happens when there are no more DPs? They don't build any other cars as far as I know.

I'm sure DPs will still run around in historics, but I'm not sure how big of a business supplying parts for those is...
Old 20 Mar 2016, 10:09 (Ref:3625096)   #26
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
You mean Action Express?
No. I mean Spirit of Daytona. They took over the project after it got to the point where they were the only ones running the chassis. Then Gen3 came along and because of Pratt & Miller's assistance in improving the chassis it for some reason became the preferred Corvette DP chassis(only two Corvette DPs didn't use Coyote chassis - and one of them has been rather infamously destroyed).

That said, though, it's TECHNICALLY more of a partnership, but all intents and purposes SoD owns and runs Coyote Cars at this point.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 10:26 (Ref:3625102)   #27
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
No. I mean Spirit of Daytona. They took over the project after it got to the point where they were the only ones running the chassis. Then Gen3 came along and because of Pratt & Miller's assistance in improving the chassis it for some reason became the preferred Corvette DP chassis(only two Corvette DPs didn't use Coyote chassis - and one of them has been rather infamously destroyed).

That said, though, it's TECHNICALLY more of a partnership, but all intents and purposes SoD owns and runs Coyote Cars at this point.
As far I know AXR owner, owns coyote too and SoD just owns one of their chassis since mid '2000 being their corvette DP mounted on their old DP2 tub. Anyway I don't think that P&M assisted coyote or anyone else like riley or dallara... the corvette DP "pack" is just a bodywork that can be fitted on all old DP2 chassis + GM engine.
Being just a bodywork and nothing more, you can watch at example that AXR and WTR, being "outside" the same car; have very different cockpit and tub structure. Corvette DP coyote chassis is the only version right handed
Old 20 Mar 2016, 12:40 (Ref:3625129)   #28
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCyberMotor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCyberMotor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCyberMotor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DPi does not have a 'relevancy factor', only a cost-containment factor, it seems to me. This is a step backwards in automotive efficiency and connection to the real world of the automobile. I know some are elated by the omission but I think it is a bad decision. The technological components do not have to be as advanced as P1, but there should be some components proven in P1 used, albeit, with a lower cost into the P2 and DPi cars, IMO.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 15:53 (Ref:3625173)   #29
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just to be clear here, will these manufacturer body panels fit onto all 4 chassis or just one that the manufacturer chooses? In Indycar, it is a lot more simple because there is only one chassis, Dallara. Here we have 4 which I assume will all look different.

What if an independent team wants to race in DPi using their own engine?

Looking at the WEC P2 field right now, it's just a bunch of Ligiers and Orecas with Nissan engines. So I think seeing 4 chassis (maybe more for IMSA), with manufacturer panels, and more than one engine supplier is a step in the right direction for IMSA.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 16:01 (Ref:3625179)   #30
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bodywork will be tied to one chassis...

So if Mazda commission a bodywork and put it on a Riley, that will be the only place where that can go.

Privateers can either buy complete cars (bodywork + engine) from manufacturers, should they sell those to customers, or run an off-the-shelf Euro-car with the spec engine and generic bodywork.