Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Dec 2017, 21:12 (Ref:3784963)   #3196
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
If they're using the final 2017 BOP tables as a baseline, I'd be interested to see if the Caddies actually go a bit faster than they did during 24 qualifying (provided that they or no one else sandbags and gets away with it). After all, they're running significantly less downforce than the start of the season last season, and Daytona is probably the least downforce dependent track by far on the IMSA schedule.

For some reference times, Cadillac DPI: 136.9. Audi R8 HSR this year: 137.9 on Goodyear tires vs Continentals on the Caddy.

Also, anyone know of trap speeds for the 2017 24 weekend? I know that one of the R8s during the HSR event was clocked at almost 201mph into the speed trap this year.

I know that's an apples to oranges comparison (LMP900 vs DPI, 2000mm wide car vs a 1900mm one, open vs closed cockpit, Continental DPI tires vs Goodyear (I know that the Audis originally ran on Michelins), etc), but it's as close to comparing something as I know outside of old LMP2 cars and such.
Old 3 Dec 2017, 21:43 (Ref:3784967)   #3197
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
If they're using the final 2017 BOP tables as a baseline, I'd be interested to see if the Caddies actually go a bit faster than they did during 24 qualifying (provided that they or no one else sandbags and gets away with it). After all, they're running significantly less downforce than the start of the season last season, and Daytona is probably the least downforce dependent track by far on the IMSA schedule.

For some reference times, Cadillac DPI: 136.9. Audi R8 HSR this year: 137.9 on Goodyear tires vs Continentals on the Caddy.

Also, anyone know of trap speeds for the 2017 24 weekend? I know that one of the R8s during the HSR event was clocked at almost 201mph into the speed trap this year.

I know that's an apples to oranges comparison (LMP900 vs DPI, 2000mm wide car vs a 1900mm one, open vs closed cockpit, Continental DPI tires vs Goodyear (I know that the Audis originally ran on Michelins), etc), but it's as close to comparing something as I know outside of old LMP2 cars and such.

I'm waiting next week's tests with anxiety. There are lot of things to compare and some changes to take in mind.

Ligier and Dallara chassis has received aerodynamic updates. In the case of the Dallara, the change is on the splitter, and as this part is a common part of the P2 car, the Cadillac will change too. I'm not sure about the changes on the Ligier. However, Nissan have changes on their car, mostly on cooling. This is why Onroak is testing the Ligier beside the Nissan DPi with pipo Derani at the wheel.

The Mazda and Riley/Multimatic is another story, because the base P2 car received several changes on suspension and cooling (I'm not sure if it will present aerodynimic changes too), and maybe some weight reduction.

The Oreca chassis remains unchanged, so they only need to compare the Oreca with the Acura.

TOP SPEEDS by event

December 2016 Test

January 2017 ROAR

January 2017 RACE

You can find all the results here

After the december 2016 test, the Cadillacs were forced to change the aerodynamic settings because they reached more than 200 mph
Old 4 Dec 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3785075)   #3198
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So all in all, at this point, what is everyone's prediction for fastest Proto in the Daytona 24 qualifying?

I think caddies will still be upfront with a heavy challenge from Penske, if Joest get the car in line then Mazda could be up front in quali (can't see them having legs for full race though).

I don't see the P2s quite challenging, and I reckon the Nissan will be more a race pace car than a qualifier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 Dec 2017, 17:35 (Ref:3785083)   #3199
WolfsburgRS
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
This brings up something I've always wondered. How does the team end up owning so many of the cars when they're 'factory' owned, built and run cars?
Old 4 Dec 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3785088)   #3200
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
This brings up something I've always wondered. How does the team end up owning so many of the cars when they're 'factory' owned, built and run cars?
I think it works as a franchise, in this case Mazda is the sponsor and owner of the brand rights, and puts on Speedsource the role of executor. The chassis were always Lola (later Multimatic), so Mazda don't owns intelectual rights over the chasis. In other words, the chassis were just a tool.
Old 4 Dec 2017, 18:04 (Ref:3785090)   #3201
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post

I don't see the P2s quite challenging, and I reckon the Nissan will be more a race pace car than a qualifier
I wouldn't leave out the P2s of the equation. Last year all the P2 had electronic problems (only the Riley ran well and finished 3rd!), but by mid of the season they were at front fighting.
Old 4 Dec 2017, 18:41 (Ref:3785098)   #3202
Turbodcc
Rookie

Turbodcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So all in all, at this point, what is everyone's prediction for fastest Proto in the Daytona 24 qualifying?

I think caddies will still be upfront with a heavy challenge from Penske, if Joest get the car in line then Mazda could be up front in quali (can't see them having legs for full race though).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm interested to see what Mazda does. Rumblings online about the AER engines doing well in pre-testing for both Mazda and their LMP effort with BRE/Dallara. Common factor with both compared to previous efforts looks to be having better cars??? & higher calibre drivers (got to be a factor).
Outside of that, the Caddies will definitely be up there along with Nissan and very interested to see the Acura out of the box.

This weeks BOP testing will tell us more.

Hopefully with better cars elsewhere this year the caddies wont be hamstrung and some great racing can be had all season long!
Old 4 Dec 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3785106)   #3203
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It looks like Montoya is very happy with the Acura.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/14610...acura-dpi-ride
Old 4 Dec 2017, 20:39 (Ref:3785119)   #3204
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

If the way Montoya's raving about the ARX-05 is any indication, I'd say it's a coin toss between Caddy and Acura. I don't think Joest will really push the Mazda in qualifying until the first sprint race - you don't really need a good qualifying run to win an endurance race and no matter how well the testing has gone, and their work isn't "proven" until they race it so it wouldn't be a bad idea to save the car in qualifying and make sure their hard work has paid off in-race before they pushing 110% all the time.
Old 4 Dec 2017, 21:33 (Ref:3785133)   #3205
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
It looks like Montoya is very happy with the Acura.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/14610...acura-dpi-ride
They have to be the early championship favorite at this point. I don't think the same team is going to win the first 5 races as we saw this year. It wouldn't surprise me if we had 6+ different winners on the season.
Old 4 Dec 2017, 21:41 (Ref:3785134)   #3206
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The Nissans has been very strong at the end of the season, if they improved the cooling of the engine, maybe they could go even faster in 2018.

If the Cadillacs with the new Dallara splitter can get better front grip, they would be the best cars on track again. I say this because I think WTR solved the lack of front grip with a good setup, but Action Express fought all year to be as fast as WTR car. Maybe the Taylor brothers got a setup to suit their driving style that wasn't good for the other drivers.
Old 6 Dec 2017, 22:16 (Ref:3785533)   #3207
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
Random and probably stupid question, but anyone have a guess at what a DPI budget is? Watching an old ALMS race on You Tube it was claimed that in '03 that Champion Racing spent $4.5 million USD to run a full ALMS season.

I know it's kind of apples to oranges (15 year time gap/inflation, IMSA didn't have a true 24 Hour race on the schedule unless you counted Le Mans, etc), but I was wondering just for comparison's sake.
Old 6 Dec 2017, 22:51 (Ref:3785541)   #3208
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Random and probably stupid question, but anyone have a guess at what a DPI budget is? Watching an old ALMS race on You Tube it was claimed that in '03 that Champion Racing spent $4.5 million USD to run a full ALMS season.

I know it's kind of apples to oranges (15 year time gap/inflation, IMSA didn't have a true 24 Hour race on the schedule unless you counted Le Mans, etc), but I was wondering just for comparison's sake.
I seem to remember a 3-5 million number being talked about recently with the 24 playing a big part, obviously.
Old 8 Dec 2017, 21:26 (Ref:3785930)   #3209
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTheMightyM should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTheMightyM should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marshall Pruett reports that:

Quote:
A private meeting was held on Monday where DPi survey data was reviewed with the manufacturers who participate in the Prototype class. It's believed a general agreement to stay the course with the same DPi formula in the years ahead was made and suggestions of adding LMP1-style hybrid systems were shot down immediately. A general feeling of wanting to leave DPi unchanged described by those who spoke on the condition of anonymity.