Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 11 Dec 2010, 10:03 (Ref:2802879)   #551
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I like it (except for the the fin of course )
Old 11 Dec 2010, 10:08 (Ref:2802881)   #552
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansfan View Post
They are not crazy .D'ont believe that the figures on the Monitors are truth .
I'm not that supid but MulsanneMike certainly didn't disregard them totally.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 10:16 (Ref:2802884)   #553
erale
Rookie

Germany
erale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansfan View Post
They are not crazy .D'ont believe that the figures on the Monitors are truth .
I rather guess they're coefficient of drag/lift multiplied by frontal area. Especially the coefficient of drag would be way to high.

I checked the values for the 2008 Formula Master car which had the following values:

Medium Downforce config:

Downforce (SCz) 2.16
Drag (SCx) 0.7

These values are the coefficients of downforce/drag multiplied with the frontal area.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 11:45 (Ref:2802903)   #554
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Audi making a big mistake by not taking it to Sebring?

As proved with the R15, surely the best Audi can do is to get lots of experience of racing conditions with the new car on the run up to Le Mans.

By using the R15+ at Sebring, they are limiting that time available to them, especially if Peugeot use their new car at Sebring.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 12:59 (Ref:2802927)   #555
911targa
Veteran

Taiwan
911targa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im wondering whether R15++ is going to be a close-top

anyway is there any possible that Bernhard and Dumas both become Audi factory drivers follow Rockenfeller or Luhr and some DTM Audi drivers like Scheider for Porsche in return?
Old 11 Dec 2010, 13:32 (Ref:2802932)   #556
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Isn't Audi making a big mistake by not taking it to Sebring?

As proved with the R15, surely the best Audi can do is to get lots of experience of racing conditions with the new car on the run up to Le Mans.

By using the R15+ at Sebring, they are limiting that time available to them, especially if Peugeot use their new car at Sebring.
Well taking the car to early on the track can be just as foolish, it will take important test time away. Audi can probably do 3x 24hours test in the time it takes to ship, race and ship back the R18. And when the car is still "Young" you can solve problems better and faster under test circumstandses, than under the very limited time when racing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911targa View Post
im wondering whether R15++ is going to be a close-top

anyway is there any possible that Bernhard and Dumas both become Audi factory drivers follow Rockenfeller or Luhr and some DTM Audi drivers like Scheider for Porsche in return?
No fitting a roof to the R15 would mean building a new tub, which would need homologation and a lot of new aero parts. And that amount of work is insane for only 1 race!
Old 11 Dec 2010, 13:36 (Ref:2802934)   #557
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxracefan View Post
If it was built to win LeMans, and I'm sure it was, then remember the pits are on the right side of the track there. The drivers don't have to run around the car to change.
The track is essentially clockwise-with a few twists-if you were racing a sidecar outfit,the lunatic's (sorry passenger's) weight would be applied to the right more times than the left.In a car,the driver stays put and his weight will do more good on the right.There may also be a benefit during driver changes.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 13:39 (Ref:2802935)   #558
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the big fin solution holding up as a wing support is inspired, it makes it certainly more useful and nice to know about...cleans it up.
a closed top r15+? i haven't heard anything myself, that might be cool, and with the engine that monster has, very cool
Old 11 Dec 2010, 13:41 (Ref:2802936)   #559
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post

No fitting a roof to the R15 would mean building a new tub, which would need homologation and a lot of new aero parts. And that amount of work is insane for only 1 race!
ahem- LeMans , cough 1 race cough
Old 11 Dec 2010, 14:10 (Ref:2802942)   #560
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
Yeah but it's not for Le Mans. It's for Sebring.

I'm sure there might be some data they can gleam from the race with the R15++, whether it be tyres or something new internally. I'm sure they will maximise what is a less than ideal situation.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 14:11 (Ref:2802943)   #561
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by erale View Post
I rather guess they're coefficient of drag/lift multiplied by frontal area. Especially the coefficient of drag would be way to high.

I checked the values for the 2008 Formula Master car which had the following values:

Medium Downforce config:

Downforce (SCz) 2.16
Drag (SCx) 0.7

These values are the coefficients of downforce/drag multiplied with the frontal area.

Yes, indeed if the case, then my numbers need to be divided by 1.8 (the assumed frontal area I'm using). When that is done, we have much more "sane" figures:

.cd= .471
.clTOTAL= 1.8798

Therefore we're looking at around 934 lbs drag for 3727 lbs DF. As the relationships are all the same, still 3.99:1 L/D
Old 11 Dec 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2802964)   #562
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Is there something particular related to the powertrain regulations which forced both the diesel behemoths to go to pretty massive roof-mounted air intakes?
The roof mounted intake is almost entirely a result of mounting the turbo(s?) in the V of the engine, I'm pretty sure this has been done in a big attempt to reduce drag, I'm sure that time will prove that pug have also done the same thing, as this is a common trick for V engines in road cars, BMW now do it on all their V-diesels and V-gasoline engines.......it makes the sides of the engine very packaging friendly, not to mention reduces frontal area
Old 11 Dec 2010, 15:50 (Ref:2802971)   #563
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
The roof mounted intake is almost entirely a result of mounting the turbo(s?) in the V of the engine, I'm pretty sure this has been done in a big attempt to reduce drag, I'm sure that time will prove that pug have also done the same thing, as this is a common trick for V engines in road cars, BMW now do it on all their V-diesels and V-gasoline engines.......it makes the sides of the engine very packaging friendly, not to mention reduces frontal area
Marshall Preutt is saying the roof intake is for the intercoolers (?!). The inlet area is tiny for that application! Thus they must be for the turbo(s) until I see (with my own eyes) otherwise. To draw the air from the roof for an intercooler makes no sense anyway considering the gaping holes in the side pods to do just that. Not to mention, diesel intercooling requires lots of air...
Old 11 Dec 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2802973)   #564
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think Audi wants to use the R18 for that race - ahem!
Please get your facts straight before using sarcasm
Old 11 Dec 2010, 16:08 (Ref:2802974)   #565
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Marshall Preutt is saying the roof intake is for the intercoolers (?!). The inlet area is tiny for that application! Thus they must be for the turbo(s) until I see (with my own eyes) otherwise. To draw the air from the roof for an intercooler makes no sense anyway considering the gaping holes in the side pods to do just that. Not to mention, diesel intercooling requires lots of air...
You could mount an extra intercooler and reduce the side pods to minimize drag. Otherwise there is the hybrid system which Aldi requires cooling.
But yes turbo inlets seems to be the case, although the roof inlet seems smaller than the two on the R15 combined.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 16:13 (Ref:2802977)   #566
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
How much may Audi actually modify the R15+ without adding the fin?
Old 11 Dec 2010, 17:01 (Ref:2802992)   #567
Lipp
Rookie

Netherlands
Lipp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a general question, will the fin be giving more sideways stability, will the cars be quicker through the corner as a result? I know all cars need one because of ACO rules in order to control flipovers. What will happen when there is a steady sideway wind blowing across the straight?
Old 11 Dec 2010, 17:38 (Ref:2803006)   #568
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Have a confirmation that the roof inlet is for engine (NOT intercooler) and that the nose inlet is for driver cooling (NOT turbo induction).
Old 11 Dec 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2803025)   #569
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359 View Post
I wonder, since the inside of the front fenders appears to still be the "bolt on" addition, is it possible that, if the wide front tires plan fails as it did on the Acura, the R18 fenders could be easily modified to fit the narrower normal tires?
The R15+ had the exact same style part, I believe it just comes down to the construction of the part and minimising the amount of bodywork over the inside edge of the wheel/tyre.

Old 11 Dec 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2803026)   #570
92scotland
Racer

United Kingdom
92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love what Audi have done here. IMO the fin looks alright. They have incorporated it into the design so it doesn't look too out of place and after a while it'll just become the norm just like the twin roll hoops. I don't know how important or significant this is but whilst I looked at it from this angle I noticed that there is only one air intake on the top of the sidepod. As I said I don't the significance and just decided to bring it up .

Old 11 Dec 2010, 18:42 (Ref:2803028)   #571
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the fin have to be on the centreline (Z-axis) of the car? I just have no idea how the open top cars are going to incorporate the fin into their design without blending it into an existing rollhoop.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 18:54 (Ref:2803039)   #572
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
Does the fin have to be on the centreline (Z-axis) of the car? I just have no idea how the open top cars are going to incorporate the fin into their design without blending it into an existing rollhoop.
They'll do it as so:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/2011LolaLMP2-1.jpg
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/2011LolaLMP2-2.jpg
Old 11 Dec 2010, 19:08 (Ref:2803045)   #573
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
How much may Audi actually modify the R15+ without adding the fin?
The ACO have said grandfathered cars will be at a performance disadvantage so unless they fit the smaller engine their only hope is reliabilty, like the R8 vs Pescarolo in 2005.

Oreca aren't using a fin on their new P2 as it's based on the P1 tub, that suggests you can do pretty much what you like.

Last edited by JAG; 11 Dec 2010 at 19:14.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 19:20 (Ref:2803051)   #574
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
your completley correct, this type of engine will require a lot of intercooler air flow......I will be gob-smacked if its not the engine intake, I think what they are actually doing is creating a very efficient ram-air diffuser duct, which converts flow into pressure and the restrictor is actually mounted on the intake throat of the turbo volute with a cone filter around it, which is quite a traditional layout for a turbo engine.........excellent analysis on your site by the way, nice zoom-in on the aero numbers!!!
Old 11 Dec 2010, 21:46 (Ref:2803100)   #575
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Q & A: Audi's Ullrich on new R18 (autosport.com)