Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 14 May 2013, 18:17 (Ref:3247392)   #1076
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Probably one of if not the best decision that man has made in his life.
Old 15 May 2013, 00:57 (Ref:3247625)   #1077
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Radio listeners in Toronto have heard about Hinchcliffe's win at Sao Paulo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.wheels.ca"
Norris McDonald[/URL]] heard everybody’s favourite afternoon drive sports talk radio show host Bob McCown wax eloquently about James’ victory the previous afternoon in Brazil

Now, I realize that Bob McCown works for Sportsnet, and that Sportsnet is televising this year’s IZOD IndyCar Series races as well as the Indianapolis 500 and some “cross-promotion” is to be expected.

But I honestly think McCown was impressed with the finish (who wouldn’t have been!) and saw the potential that Indy car racing and Hinchcliffe both have. Good stuff.
Speaking of which, this McCown seems to have an open mind about new sports. I fell in love with this guy!

Quote:
he said he didn’t like cars racing on ovals because ovals are for horses. Then he hesitated, and mused: “I wonder how horses would do on a road course?”
Old 15 May 2013, 14:59 (Ref:3247905)   #1078
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No Buddy at Indy.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-with-schmidt/
Old 15 May 2013, 20:26 (Ref:3248102)   #1079
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I listen to McCown most days on the drive home. Usually has an opinion on everything, including those he knows nothing about. This is definitely the first year I've heard them promoting Indycar, but TSN which is the other Canadian sports network and previously held the rights to Indycar has done nothing with it the last 5 years so it's a nice change
Old 16 May 2013, 03:47 (Ref:3248217)   #1080
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'm going to finally put this to bed and highly recommend you read this company overview, on the Businessweek website.

http://investing.businessweek.com/re...vcapId=7871144
Legally as a business it is still known as the indy racing league as far as I know.

No surprise on Brown not taking the job.
Old 16 May 2013, 16:41 (Ref:3248462)   #1081
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, the company is still Indy Racing League, officially 'Indy Racing League LLC' The change to 'Indycar' was just visual and anybody suggesting otherwise clearly has no idea on how a company operates.
Old 16 May 2013, 18:11 (Ref:3248483)   #1082
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine View Post
I listen to McCown most days on the drive home. Usually has an opinion on everything, including those he knows nothing about.
I thought so
Old 16 May 2013, 18:47 (Ref:3248494)   #1083
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Yes, the company is still Indy Racing League, officially 'Indy Racing League LLC' The change to 'Indycar' was just visual and anybody suggesting otherwise clearly has no idea on how a company operates.
Correct and IndyCar is the trading name the IRL uses.

Hopefully that's put an end to this, .
Old 16 May 2013, 20:43 (Ref:3248543)   #1084
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The important point is the same ghastly crew are pulling the strings.
Old 16 May 2013, 22:49 (Ref:3248593)   #1085
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Very true, I just hope Derrick Walker can make the difference.
Old 16 May 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3248598)   #1086
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Correct and IndyCar is the trading name the IRL uses.

Hopefully that's put an end to this, .
So why not refer to it as Indycar then in forum posts - as its the trading name?

Seems odd to refer to it as something else unless you are trying to suggest something by the use of an alternative name?
Old 16 May 2013, 23:10 (Ref:3248604)   #1087
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
So why not refer to it as Indycar then in forum posts - as its the trading name?

Seems odd to refer to it as something else unless you are trying to suggest something by the use of an alternative name?
If you can't accept the facts, I suggest you contact the Indy Racing League, LLC. and ask them why they changed their trade name.

This is getting boring.
Old 16 May 2013, 23:25 (Ref:3248607)   #1088
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Pretty funny somebody is concerned about the naming of a series, even though it's naming it by it's official name, when there are issues such as declining television ratings, attendance, one of the most invisible month of mays in history and management stupidity and upheaval, and looking after today yet again the safety of Dallara's product.

Wonderful.
Old 16 May 2013, 23:39 (Ref:3248613)   #1089
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Pretty funny somebody is concerned about the naming of a series, even though it's naming it by it's official name, when there are issues such as declining television ratings, attendance, one of the most invisible month of mays in history and management stupidity and upheaval, and looking after today yet again the safety of Dallara's product.

Wonderful.
Exactly, so let's keep this tread pertinent everyone.
Old 17 May 2013, 00:37 (Ref:3248636)   #1090
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Formally - both names can be applied.

IRL is correct in essence. Why? It's the Hulman's who own the show.
Old 17 May 2013, 00:45 (Ref:3248642)   #1091
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This is getting boring.
You mean like....................................

Quote:
How many times can you post the same thing? No one is disagreeing with any of the above however I am not sure continued repeated posts about the same thing is constructive nor aiding discussion?

Both names can be correct but when the whole world calls it Indycar and then you have modertors trying to make a passive agressive statement by referring to the series as IRL, you do wonder what this place is coming too
Old 17 May 2013, 00:48 (Ref:3248644)   #1092
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
The whole world?????? Yeah, perhaps 0.1% of it's population.
Old 17 May 2013, 01:17 (Ref:3248648)   #1093
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
You mean like....................................

How many times can you post the same thing? No one is disagreeing with any of the above however I am not sure continued repeated posts about the same thing is constructive nor aiding discussion?

Both names can be correct but when the whole world calls it Indycar and then you have modertors trying to make a passive agressive statement by referring to the series as IRL, you do wonder what this place is coming too
I didn't originally post this:

''Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith.
Pretty funny somebody is concerned about the naming of a series, even though it's naming it by it's official name, when there are issues such as declining television ratings, attendance, one of the most invisible month of mays in history and management stupidity and upheaval, and looking after today yet again the safety of Dallara's product.''

As you say both names are correct. The series is sanctioned by the Indy Racing League, LLC, which owns and trades under the name IndyCar.

I honestly don't see what the problem is.

Agreed, let's have constructive discussion.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 17 May 2013 at 01:31.
Old 17 May 2013, 01:58 (Ref:3248661)   #1094
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:

Using the term IRL is an indication that the poster understands the reality behind the series. That series isn't a joint CART-IRL project but a project run by the IRL founding family the Hulmans.
Old 17 May 2013, 04:35 (Ref:3248709)   #1095
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Yes, the public name change was just turd polishing.
Old 17 May 2013, 04:39 (Ref:3248710)   #1096
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:

I dunno DRT why do you care? I wouldn't waste your time trying to make sure everyone has the official talking points down. I'd just worry about your own posts and not everyone else's.

It's still the indy racin league, legally, still run by the same people with the same crapola cars. Nothing has changed one bit. Changing your public name doesn't Clorox your past or who you are.
Old 20 May 2013, 06:52 (Ref:3250303)   #1097
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Gorden Kirby column: “Walker & Miles' hops for IndyCar's future” is available here. A highlight:

Quote:
Mark Miles said he agrees with Walker about the need for a higher performing, more innovative car. Miles also emphasized that it's necessary to maintain and improve today's high level of safety as speeds increase.

"On the particular question of speed," Miles said. "I would reframe the question, if I could, to talk about speed and safety, which to me have to go hand in hand. I'm sure that's a widely held view. It's something that we've talked about; it's something that I believe is part of IndyCar. We're the fastest series, and it's part of our brand, it's part of what we're about.
Old 21 May 2013, 01:04 (Ref:3250848)   #1098
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let's hope Miles and Walker actually implement their ideas and don't pander to the whining, self serving paddock. If so, I like what I am hearing. How many years were they promised the DW12 would be the platform? I seem to recall 5?
Old 21 May 2013, 12:18 (Ref:3251096)   #1099
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
That's one of the best 'The Way It Is' articles I've read in a while. It highlights what's wrong with the series yet shows the way forward. One can only hope the Hulman Georges, have the foresight Miles and Walker have.
Old 21 May 2013, 15:54 (Ref:3251185)   #1100
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
That's one of the best 'The Way It Is' articles I've read in a while. It highlights what's wrong with the series yet shows the way forward. One can only hope the Hulman Georges, have the foresight Miles and Walker have.
Bar their late and much lamented patriarch, vision is what the Hulman-Georges manifestly lack. A tendency towards self destruction and using their own feet for target practice are traits they have in abundance.

In short I have a high regard for Walker and what he says delights me but I hope he has something up his sleeve to counter the inevitable sabotage of the Hulman-Georges. Walker can tackle the teams but his task will be futile if there is sabotage from above. Particularly with Tony George partially rehabilitated, running around footloose and fancy free.