Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 18 Oct 2008, 09:04 (Ref:2315141)   #1
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A quick sketch - please edit this

Hello MyTrackers,

this is a quick sketch that I came up with whilst doodling around at one time during the summer. It looks like a modern day Grand Prix Circuit to me, in as far as it has some interesting sections. It's meant to be between 6 and 6.5 kilometers in length. But I don't quite know what to do with this sketch, because I haven't found a space into which to fit the paddock. It's meant to run clockwise, but the place I had originally in mind for the start-finish straight, at the top right of the diagram, doesn't leave enough space in the infield for a paddock. Neither does the long bow on the lower right side of the diagram, or the straight in the middle left part that exits the infield section. And nobody would be happy to find only one obvious overtaking opportunity on a track as long as this (the originally intended pit straight). So I pass this one over to you. What would you do with it? Edits are very welcome!
Thanks in advance for your input!

Old 18 Oct 2008, 12:23 (Ref:2315245)   #2
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At first glance, I wouldn't touch it...... not just yet.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 18:15 (Ref:2315382)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This would probably be the easiest edit, though it goes outwith the current footprint of the circuit
Attached Thumbnails
quicksketch_raw_20 copy.jpg  
Old 18 Oct 2008, 23:56 (Ref:2315537)   #4
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6 k is a lot of track,those sweepers must be huge then! Scaled down to 66% would still make for a 4k track and that would be my only "edit" ,it really looks like the kind of tracks I like!
Old 19 Oct 2008, 08:23 (Ref:2315661)   #5
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is myn

I chose to change the bottom bit to allow for a long pit straight and pit lane
I chose to alter anything else
Attached Thumbnails
edit.jpg  
Old 20 Oct 2008, 02:52 (Ref:2316353)   #6
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like SBF's edit. Gives the track more room for a better Pit&Paddock area.

I like mattt's too. A longer pit straight would be better.

Both would be very enjoyable to drive.
Old 21 Oct 2008, 20:34 (Ref:2317863)   #7
Yannick
Veteran

Now these are both really pretty. Thank you mattt and ScotsBrutesFan for your input. I think I can finish the track now, when I get around to it. I guess the OtherWorld(ly) Series needs a venue in China, too, doesn't it? ;-)
Actually, I prefer mattt's location of the pitlane, because it keeps intact the Esses section on top of the diagram. But keeping the bowish loop intact also has its benefits. I'll see what I can come up with, based on your suggestions.
Thanks guys.
Old 21 Oct 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2317882)   #8
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'd be inclined to bypass that second esse by reprofiling/lengthening that long, right hand bend. This would give extra paddock space, and the extended flat-out run would provide greater scope for overtaking into the fairly acute Turn 1. Not to mention, the original arrangement gives you three rather tight corners all in succession, and it doesn't quite fit with the rest of the track.
Old 25 Oct 2008, 01:27 (Ref:2320342)   #9
clarkma5
Rookie

United States
Seattle, WA
clarkma5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing I like about mattt's edit is that it keeps the pitlane entrace/exit traffic well out of the way of the racing line and also makes merging happen at an area with a low speed. SBF's design (and presumably Yannick's as well) seems to create pitlane exit/race line conflicts coming into that first square left-hander.

Just my 2 cents. This is my first post, I just found this place a little while ago so I'm not an expert
Old 25 Oct 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2320543)   #10
Yannick
Veteran

Xiangshen International Autodrome

Thanks for additional input, Purist and clarkma5. Me too, I've preferred mattt's edit, so the official credit for the following design should read "Xiangshen International Autodrome - by Yannick with inspiration from mattt" (or something along those lines)

This 6.5 kilometer long clockwise racing circuit is the home of next year's inaugural Chinese Grand Prix of the (fictional) OtherWorld(ly) Series. The facility is also welcoming motorcycle events to have a go at its GP circuit, whereas the short circuit is aimed at touring cars and F3, A1GP and other formulae. A 24 hour race for sportscars on the GP circuit is also in its planning stages.
Too bad that one of the races from the already full OtherWorld(ly) calendar will have to go. Dear readers, feel free to pick one from the "Opening My Archive" thread, otherwise the series might be inclined to follow F1's example of dropping the French GP at Circuit de'l ÃŽle ;-)

Here's the track diagram:

Thanks again for your edits, mattt and SBF. They have helped me to focus on what's essential to this design.