Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 23 Oct 2010, 00:26 (Ref:2778604)   #1
m14mclaren
Rookie

m14mclaren should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First F1 Race

Hey everyone,

I'm planning to go to next years British GP and am after a bit of advice.

I live in New Zealand and am flying into heathrow on the 19th of June, then going to spend some time in Scotland with family, possibly Glastonbury and some touristy stuff.

What I really want to know, being my first GP, what is everyone's opinion on the best way to go about what tickets to get and what to do about accommodation, since I've never been there its a bit hard to decide what the best way to go might be by just going off what I can research on the internet.

I want to go all three days, probably a grandstand, I was thinking Copse or Stowe as I don't really want to spend more than 200 pound for the three days, what is General Admission like down around the track? such as becketts?

The other thing is accommodation, from the research I've done so far it seems either everything is either booked up already or very expensive, my sister thought it might be an idea to hire a car and stay in Northampton, Milton Keynes or Banbury.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 06:35 (Ref:2778716)   #2
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you don't mind camping, a lot of the fields round the circuit are taken over for campsites.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 07:12 (Ref:2778735)   #3
m14mclaren
Rookie

Usually I wouldn't mind, but don't have access to a tent, bring one or buying one there wouldn't be that practical.

Thanks
Old 23 Oct 2010, 15:06 (Ref:2778947)   #4
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I would recommend a Stowe Grandstand over Copse. We were in Stowe B (the cheapest Stowe one) this year. We had a view of the track from the start of Hanger Straight right through Stowe and into the Vale left hander - Google Earth says this was 1 mile of track! Also had plenty of loos and food around, plus two giant TV's.

At Club you also get views of a longer stretch, but this could be pricey now as it will be the new start/finish. If you do fancy splashing out, I had a look in the Becketts Grandstand and that was fab-u-lous! Great view of all Maggotts/Becketts and the overtaking in the Arena opposite.

General Admission views vary from a flash of the track to some pretty great spots. You could explore on Friday and find where is best for you - note of warning however if you want a good spot on Sunday, you usually need to be at the gates when they open at 5am to grab your spot, or you will be stuck elsewhere. I did notice however from my modest Ivory Tower at Stowe this year there was a new big bank at Vale which didn't seem too full at all, so maybe its not so much of an issue. Did any Gen Admission guys this year have any more on that? (I usually have gen admission, but it was my 30th so I got luxuary!)

For accomodation definitely do it the traditionally way - disposable bbq (x4), crate of beer (x4), tent (x1) big pole with as many flags as you can cram on! You can pick up a tent for less than £30 when you get over here then you won't need to even take it back home to NZ.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 15:11 (Ref:2778949)   #5
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by m14mclaren View Post
The other thing is accommodation, from the research I've done so far it seems either everything is either booked up already or very expensive, my sister thought it might be an idea to hire a car and stay in Northampton, Milton Keynes or Banbury.
I really would consider getting a cheap tent in the UK and camping. If you stay in N'ton, MK or Banbury you will get stuck in traffic each day one the way too and from the circuit. It will likely add at least an hour to each journey (and especially if you do do gen admission and need to get there early - the traffic jams start early). If you camp you can relax a bit more and it really is a great atmosphere.

Tents can be got for this cheap - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...s|14419414.htm

Spash out a couple more pennies if the forcast is wet though, but you'll not need more than £30.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2779839)   #6
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Usually I wouldn't mind, but don't have access to a tent, bring one or buying one there wouldn't be that practical.

Thanks
After what it's going to cost you for the hotel, and the hassle of trying to get in & out of the circuit, I'd certainly look at camping.
Wait until you get over hear and hire the car, get a cheap tent, and head for Silverstone. Book into one of the sites near the circuit (do that in advance), and enjoy.
I'd also go for Stowe rather than Copse. Sure, you'll miss that first corner after the start rush, but you can see a lot more from Stowe, and you'll be amongst the real fans, not the prawn sandwich brigade.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 22:35 (Ref:2779859)   #7
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
I'd also go for Stowe rather than Copse. Sure, you'll miss that first corner after the start rush, but you can see a lot more from Stowe, and you'll be amongst the real fans, not the prawn sandwich brigade.
You won't see the 1st corner of the GP from copse this coming year either
Old 25 Oct 2010, 11:10 (Ref:2780164)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPage View Post
I really would consider getting a cheap tent in the UK and camping. If you stay in N'ton, MK or Banbury you will get stuck in traffic each day one the way too and from the circuit. It will likely add at least an hour to each journey (and especially if you do do gen admission and need to get there early - the traffic jams start early). If you camp you can relax a bit more and it really is a great atmosphere.

Tents can be got for this cheap - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...s|14419414.htm

Spash out a couple more pennies if the forcast is wet though, but you'll not need more than £30.
this, i've camped at the bgp on my own last year (this year i just pitched a tent and drove in daily from my house - cheaper than a car pass off ebay ), and it's good value. if you go for the... i think it's called the windmill campsite which is immediately next to the marshals and officials site near copse and *very* reasonably priced plus a short walk from the circuit. alternatively there's the massive litchlake site opposite the existing main entrance which is also a short walk but has a couple more facilities, a few more bogs and showers and some small stands selling essentials like bread and hot food.

i drove in from northampton direction every day for the race this year, and to be honest the traffic wasn't all that bad, certainly in comparison to other gp circuits. your problem will be getting a car park pass - if you buy less than 2 tickets or something like that you're ineligable to buy one. perhaps someone can advise on the park and ride system?

personally i've never bought a grandstand ticket for a f1 race and to be honest never wished i had - general admission is usually fine but personally seeing the actual race beyond the first few laps isnt really why i go to f1 races, it's more about the general experience and feeling the atmosphere
Old 25 Oct 2010, 14:03 (Ref:2780237)   #9
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Thanks
Being a marshal, I usually camp in the marshal's campsite. But on the way in I have noticed several campsites on the edge of Silverstone village, about a mile or so from the circuit, with what appears to be pre-pitched tents of varying sizes, maybe worth a 'net search?
Old 25 Oct 2010, 20:49 (Ref:2780403)   #10
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
You won't see the 1st corner of the GP from copse this coming year either
Good point mattt.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2780466)   #11
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best bet for accomadation if you want to be anywhere near the track is probably to camp. Even this early before the race, it seems the nearest accomadation is all booked up.

I'll (hopefully) be there for my third Grand Prix in a row though!
Old 27 Oct 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2781051)   #12
m14mclaren
Rookie

Ok, the person I'm going with has gone and put down a booking on a hotel in Northampton, wasn't really expecting it. But I think camping was probably never an option because I don't think they'd like to camp. Also waiting for my sister, to get the Stowe B tickets.

I also realised I'm in the UK for the Goodwood FoS too, think I will HAVE to make that also.
Old 28 Oct 2010, 12:44 (Ref:2781631)   #13
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grandstand three-day tickets are usually a specific seat in that stand for Sunday, but also general admission and access to most of the other grandstands on Friday/Saturday. That way you get a chance to watch from various different parts of the track.
I've done a couple of years in Stowe and it's a cracking spot.