Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

View Poll Results: who's going to win the fr3.5 title?
jules bianchi 9 42.86%
robin frijns 11 52.38%
sam bird 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Oct 2012, 09:24 (Ref:3153757)   #1
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
frijns vs bianchi vs bird - fr3.5 barcelona

go on then. who's going to win? can sam bird sneak up on the blindside?

and seperately, who would you *like* to win? why?

both races are at 3pm local time, so if you've got to walk the dog, or take the wife shopping make sure you're back in time
Old 18 Oct 2012, 09:35 (Ref:3153761)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I can't help think that Bianchi will prevail having got experience of ballsing it all up enough times already.

Would like Frijins to win though.

Last edited by Peat; 18 Oct 2012 at 09:56.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 09:50 (Ref:3153764)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i can't really decide one way or another either - on the one hand, i'd like to see frijns win because he's really brought it to the ex-gp2 guys. he's got a bright future ahead of him and he really is being managed well. i like his attitude, and how he manages to articulate himself with personality and humour but without stepping outside of what is considered acceptable by the pr crowd.

on the other hand, i'd actually like to see bianchi win because he has all the tools, support and potential to be a champion the series can shout about. wickens and aleshin were deserving champions, but they've not exactly made a huge impression on f1, and i think at this point it's what the series needs to reinforce its reputation. he's also put in some really tidy drives (as well as some shoddy ones), and would also be a really deserving champion. he certainly hasn't had it all his own way, thanks to frijns.

but then i'd also really like to see sam bird clean up daniel abt style and be right up there for the win.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 09:58 (Ref:3153765)   #4
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
So, what your saying is, WSR needs Bianchi to win and go to Force India next year?

Ah, i see. nudge nudge wink wink.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 10:30 (Ref:3153775)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
having said that, if vergne and ricciardo had won their seasons instead of coming second it wouldn't really look any better at the moment
Old 18 Oct 2012, 11:16 (Ref:3153793)   #6
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So will Bianchi finally win a championship? It seems to not quite work out for him usually, or I suppose I should root for Sam Bird? He seems a nice, well balanced chap and has certainly earned his dues...or Frjins has looked the real deal on occasions...?

To be honest I don't mind. I suppose it will just depend on how the cards fall afterwards in terms of backers etc but whoever wins they will be worthy of an F1 chance next year in my opinion.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 11:35 (Ref:3153807)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
As bella says the rookie Frijns has really socked it to the more experienced guys this year and is a seriously quick driver, I guess with a bright future ahead, but there's also something 'right' about Bianchi and Bird, the 2 'name' drivers, being in contention. It just wouldn't have looked right if they had spammed this season, even if neither have really been outright convincing?
Old 18 Oct 2012, 11:58 (Ref:3153818)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
So will Bianchi finally win a championship?
here's an interesting one that surely has a very straightforward answer - why are we saying that about bianchi but not about bird? they've both been around since the dawn of time, both are highly rated, both didn't always have the best car available in gp2 yet...

i'd disagree with chunty about bianchi not being outright convincing. i both him and frijns have "only" won three races, and if you (for the sake of argument) reinstate the podium that bianchi lost at motorland for technical shenanigans his lead is a lot more up there. perhaps because we've had a few wet-dry races where the field has been shaken up a bit by strategy and the need for a different skillset from drivers it hasn't been as easy for a driver *to be* convincing. let's not forget how many different winners we've had this year - imo it says a lot that some of these other guys like yelloly, sorensen and magnussen can beat guys of the top 3's obvious calibre on pure merit.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 17:50 (Ref:3153958)   #9
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Frijns will get the championship, but none of them will have much for AFdC as far as the on track stuff goes. I hope he goes up to GP2 so Rossi doesn't get embarrassed two years running.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 17:55 (Ref:3153959)   #10
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Bianchi is the clear favourite. Frijns has his chances, too, but I think it's better for the series that the champion could have F1 promotion, as Jules could have.

ptclaus98, both Félix da Costa and Rossi had already GP2 experience, albeit not in GP2 Series (they did GP2 Asia / 2011 GP2 Final at Abu Dhabi).
Old 18 Oct 2012, 18:05 (Ref:3153960)   #11
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
why are we saying that about bianchi but not about bird? they've both been around since the dawn of time, both are highly rated
But Bird has had years and years of mega-money for the best drives he could get and never looked remotely like winning a Championship, except maybe when he chucked it off in Formula BMW and cried in the gravel trap God knows how many years ago.

I am not sure you can describe him as "highly rated" really. How much does he pay Mercedes F1? Even then they also put Hartley in the car one day just in case they ever actually looked like they might really *need* a reserve driver!
Old 18 Oct 2012, 18:09 (Ref:3153961)   #12
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I like Bianchi, as a fellow Dutchie I have to go with Frijns. He is the biggest racing talent from our country in years and really has it in him to be a star in the highest level of single seater racing. I wish him the best of luck this weekend, I hope he can win it.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 18:39 (Ref:3153968)   #13
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Daisy I agree with you, he is but there is also de Vries and Verstappen Jr coming which is way impressive
Old 18 Oct 2012, 19:00 (Ref:3153975)   #14
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, de Vries has definately potential, but we have to wait and see how they handle bigger cars, like Frijns did exceptionally well.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 20:15 (Ref:3154018)   #15
tech1racing
Rookie

tech1racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bianchi !
Old 18 Oct 2012, 20:53 (Ref:3154048)   #16
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like Frijns to win, rookie winner showing up the experienced GP2 boys and all that!
I think he'll do it too, the pressure's off him surely? It's Bianchi who needs to win, coming into the season he was nailed on favourite, to lose to someone much less experienced would be embarrassing.
Frijns also has a Sauber drive for the young driver test ay Abu Dhabi, so his path to F1 is lit already, so no need to worry about whether not winning the title here would kill off his career momentum... unlike Bianchi and Bird.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 21:01 (Ref:3154056)   #17
miniman
Rookie

miniman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
But Bird has had years and years of mega-money for the best drives he could get and never looked remotely like winning a Championship, except maybe when he chucked it off in Formula BMW and cried in the gravel trap God knows how many years ago.

I am not sure you can describe him as "highly rated" really. How much does he pay Mercedes F1? Even then they also put Hartley in the car one day just in case they ever actually looked like they might really *need* a reserve driver!
You really don't know what you are talking about! Bird has NO money and has struggled big time season after season. He is with a team who have offered public apology for not giving him best car. Mercedes pay him and rate him highly. He left the young driver test a day early to get to his wsr race. Do your homework before saying such things. If Bird was in the Fortec or Tech 1 car he would be so far ahead.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 21:32 (Ref:3154068)   #18
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Carlin
Fortec
Fortec
Carlin
Manor
Mucke
ART
iSport
ISR

Such a list of teams for someone with NO money to drive for. Really how can people fall for it.

And you really think whateverisnameis film producer doesn't pay Mercedes??
Old 18 Oct 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3154080)   #19
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
let's keep it civil please everyone. discussion, not raised handbags.

everything's relative isn't it? you might not have much money compared to a bianchi, but you've got a lot more than someone right at the back of the grid. or the guy who couldn't even afford to get to the grid in the first place.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 07:40 (Ref:3154209)   #20
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Merc were choosing between Bird and Hartley for a reserve driver seat, I'd choose Birdy everytime. Hartley has flattered to deceive for so long. I really don't understand why people still rate him because he clearly couldn't cut it above F3 level.

I think Frijns will win it because he's had more inherent speed than Bird and Bianchi. But Frijns has won all round him in his career, and if he wins this series I don't know what he would do next year. I think I want Bianchi to win to prove that FR 3.5 is a stepping stone to F1, or Bird because I think he's been very unlucky in his career.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 07:52 (Ref:3154213)   #21
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I wonder what the F1 team bosses would say if we asked them if they think the series is a good shop window now, particulary in comparison to GP2's slump in competitiveness?

It was in the past when a relatively 'unfashionable' driver like Bob Kub won it and Red Bull clearly think it's a useful training ground.

Whilst it would look right if Juleswins it, I reckon it would stand out more if Robin takes it?
Old 19 Oct 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3154233)   #22
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
You really don't know what you are talking about! Bird has NO money and has struggled big time season after season. He is with a team who have offered public apology for not giving him best car. Mercedes pay him and rate him highly. He left the young driver test a day early to get to his wsr race. Do your homework before saying such things. If Bird was in the Fortec or Tech 1 car he would be so far ahead.
Mature.

So, this is either:

Sam Bird fanboy
Sam Bird's simple mate
or
Sam Bird talking about himself in the third person. Eeesh.

Interesting fact - i stood behind Sam Bird in the queue at Aldi in Oxford once. So, maybe he doesn't have any money afterall?
Old 19 Oct 2012, 10:13 (Ref:3154274)   #23
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Interesting fact - i stood behind Sam Bird in the queue at Aldi in Oxford once. So, maybe he doesn't have any money afterall?
Or maybe that's WHY he has money?
Old 19 Oct 2012, 10:18 (Ref:3154279)   #24
BackmarkerUK
Racer

England
BackmarkerUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heart says Frijns. Head says Bianchi. Have to vote with my head, Jules Bianchi has the lead and the experience to win. Good to see that Bianchi has overcome the (over-exaggerated) crashing problem he had in GP2. Hope that both he and Frijns make it to F1 in the future. Whatever the result, it's been a great season in Formula Renault 3.5, disappointed Korjus wasn't better though.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 15:37 (Ref:3154412)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Yeah I think Korjus was generally predicted to be a title contender after his performances last year but he's gone backwards. Is this new car syndrome, quicker teammate syndrome or overall much better field syndrome?

I think a change of team for a 3rd crack next year could pay dividends.