Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 9 Mar 2010, 09:00 (Ref:2647987)   #1
Ramah
Racer

Ireland
Meath
Ramah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Irish RX Forum

Ok, just to start a discussion off who wants to say what this year ?
From my point of view

1) The rounds are too close together

2) We should have at least 2 summer rounds and before someone says it how much would it cost to clean the track afterwards ?

3) Joker lap ????????

discuss..............
Old 9 Mar 2010, 11:23 (Ref:2648072)   #2
johnny99
Rookie

Ireland
Killucan, Ireland
johnny99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes summer rounds would be good.

Bigger gaps between rounds to give compeditors time to repair cars.

I am also afraid that without the Brits coming over, which brings great crowds, and revenue to Mondello, they may find it hard to make a profit, and thus put a nail in the coffin of Irish RallyX. I would like to know why MI did not allow the buggy's race in Mondello. This would have only increased the interest in motorsport in Ireland, and bring better crowds.

More advertising for motorsport in Ireland, the stands were bleak on Sunday.

John
Old 9 Mar 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2648117)   #3
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unfortunately, Irish Rallycross is on the decline again. For it to be successful, you need spectators. But the quality of cars in the series is not there, nobody wants to spectate in winter and the loss of the GB round is huge.

Irish racing as a whole is in a big tailspin. It's very sad.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 17:47 (Ref:2648344)   #4
murf
Rookie

Ireland
talafornia
murf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mondello say they dont have the dates to give us during the summer,more time between events would be a good idea,first if you have any problems you will have time to sort them,and it also gives you time to get the funds together.not having the brda over is a big blow for us,i know more of us traveled over there than they had coming to us but it got us more publisity,and it was a much bigger day out for drivers and paying punters,mi and the rallycross committee in my opinon better have a very good reason for their decision,after all they are ment to represent the drivers,not dictate what they think is right for our sport,we seem to be going backwards where the brda are coming up with new ideas and a fresh way of thinking about rallycross,maybe its time for some fresh thinking for us too,maybe one set of people should be in charge,maybe more drivers should be on the committee.if we want change we need people to come along to the open forum and let their views be heard,i will be there repeating what i am posting here and other issues i have
Old 9 Mar 2010, 21:39 (Ref:2648528)   #5
Ramah
Racer

Ireland
Meath
From what I heard the reason that the BRDA fell through was that the buggies were not allowd to run, I dont know if that is the case but if it is it was a very bad call especially as they do would not have made any difference to us anyway and from my prespective would have been great to look at anyway.
As far as the quality of cars goes I agree that the super car field is small a sign of the times and fair play to the lads competing for keeping the super car class alive but the other classes gave us great racing this year & its racing the punters come to see ! It's very hard to obtain sponsorship when there is about 50 people in the stand and no one knows the event is on anyway, what about getting some media source to sponsor the championship in kind to promote the events in return for their name on the championship eg: the FM104 RX Championship, it would'nt cost them anything and we would get some media promotion out of it and so on. On that note does the championship have a press officer ? and if it does who is it ?, the only way we are going to improve the sport is with media assistance and with perhaps a RX super weekend held in the summer as a show case event.
Im off the soap box now.........
Old 9 Mar 2010, 22:14 (Ref:2648555)   #6
johnny99
Rookie

Ireland
Killucan, Ireland
I've heard that the Brit's are not coming is because the buggy's were not allowed to race, which I think is not very smart. There must be someone on here that know's that facts, and can inform us why that decision was taken.

The FM104 RallyX, or something similar is a very good idea. Why not a bigger company, like ESB, Tesco, Ryanair, etc.

We do need bigger grids in Supercar's, but the other classes are doing well, I'd be more worried about Mondello not attracting bigger crowds, and therefore not making enough profit to keep it going. It's our only racetrack, and a good one at that.

John
Old 10 Mar 2010, 07:13 (Ref:2648707)   #7
205munchkin
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
205munchkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The british championship is a package, and it is promoted as such. Either all the classes come or non at all. The Rx150s wernt allowed so there is no place in the calander for Mondello.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 09:17 (Ref:2648753)   #8
Ramah
Racer

Ireland
Meath
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post

The FM104 RallyX, or something similar is a very good idea. Why not a bigger company, like ESB, Tesco, Ryanair, etc.
Media is the key, I agree that a big sponsor would be great for the sport but without media attention thet would not be possible.
It is a great pity that the gang from the UK will not be coming over I allways tend to as do us all, to raise our game when they are around and it's great to race in front of a crowd, if the buggys were the problem, what was the problem with them ?
But lets face it the BRDA is only 1 round it's the rest of the rounds that I would be concerned about, people will come to motorsport in mondello, look at the rallysprint the other weekend, by all accounts it was a huge success
Old 10 Mar 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2648870)   #9
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205munchkin View Post
The british championship is a package, and it is promoted as such. Either all the classes come or non at all. The Rx150s wernt allowed so there is no place in the calander for Mondello.

Incredibly short sighted of Mondello or whoever made the decision but dare I say typical.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2648884)   #10
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
Media is the key, I agree that a big sponsor would be great for the sport but without media attention thet would not be possible.
It is a great pity that the gang from the UK will not be coming over I allways tend to as do us all, to raise our game when they are around and it's great to race in front of a crowd, if the buggys were the problem, what was the problem with them ?
But lets face it the BRDA is only 1 round it's the rest of the rounds that I would be concerned about, people will come to motorsport in mondello, look at the rallysprint the other weekend, by all accounts it was a huge success
Ramah, you make a lot of very good points and clearly have the good of the sport fully in mind. I'm only a spectator so can only give my side of things:

I love motorsport, always have done. The point was made elsewhere above that the fans want to see good racing, not necesarily the cars. I have to disagree with this point and I really am not trying to offend anyone and admire you guys for the effort you put into your racing so please take this into account; most fans want both good racing and spectacular cars and most fans have no interest in watching realtively slow and unspectacular cars racing, regardless of how close the racing is. As a fan, I have absolutely no interest in say the stock hatch class which in the main are just a load of tatty old 205's.

Similarly for the circuit racing, the Formula Libre cars make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up even though it can be a high speed procession. But man, the cars are just amazing and going so quick to be mind blowing. I absolutely hate the likes of the Fiat Uno class because the cars are slow, unspectacular, ugly and make a dreadful noise.

The racing community needs to find a balance. If it's just to be a closed shop of racers and to hell with the spectators, well then this is just not going to work because how will the racing venues be funded? The only way would be to have huge entry fees for you racing guys.

Spectators are necessary to provide revenue to the racing venues - but spectators will only pay to watch something which they are interested in. Who in Motorsport Ireland or wherever has the ability, bottle and frankly the competence to address this?

Above you say the BRDA is only one round - but it was the round that always attracts by far the biggest crowd. Remember the heydays with the European Rallycross? There was a reason why there was a crowd 5 or 6 deep all the way around the track. Think also of EuroBoss, The British Touring Cars, the BSB etc...and somehow Mondello contrived to lose money during these events?

If Irish motorsport continues as it does with (what appears from the oustide) as no clear leadership, too many factions with in fightinmg amongst classes (my class is better than your class and other such childishness) rather than working together for the good of the sport and with no effort or ability in trying to increase crowd numbers, well then motorsport in Ireland will simply die - it's on it's way out now as it is. I can't understand how Mondello remains viable. I know it has it's corporate stuff but still. It really could close and what would happen then?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 13:08 (Ref:2648885)   #11
johnny99
Rookie

Ireland
Killucan, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
Incredibly short sighted of Mondello or whoever made the decision but dare I say typical.
I would have thought that the decision was taken by M.I., and not Mondello. Why would Mondello make such a decision, more car's, more action, more punters paying at the gate.

John
Old 10 Mar 2010, 16:57 (Ref:2649008)   #12
rallycross mad
Rookie

Ireland
kildare
rallycross mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's mi decision on the Rx buggy's . i was at the meeting last year when the topic of the buggy's came up the board would not listen. its wasn't the time to talk about them is what Olly o dunovin was told !! so when is the time ? what is wrong with them running here ? they hardly get on safe on the boat coming over if there OK in england!!! i think it's time for change at the top !
Old 10 Mar 2010, 19:29 (Ref:2649115)   #13
paulp
Rookie

paulp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of good points on this post, particularly on the issues of running the buggies. At the Autosport show a number of BRDA drivers expressed their disappointment at not being able to race at Mondello this year. As a driver and a Rallycross fan I was disappointed, not to mention the loss of a good day for drivers & spectators, the TV coverage also helps when trying to get people interested in our sport as potential sponsors & paying spectators!
Having said that we cannot rely on one “big day” to fund our season. We have our own championship, with drivers who love the sport and will turn up come rain or shine. We need to build on this and perhaps look at other talents drivers have such as Sales & Marketing experience etc.
Peter Stott has done a fantastic job in building up the Rallycross Open Series. The class structures have evolved attracting drivers and sponsors. He took on the established British Championship and made his own series. Both championships seem to be growing in stature and not to the detriment of each other. No reason why we cant do the same for our championship.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2649148)   #14
tkiwan
Racer

Ireland
Kildare
tkiwan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hear hear Paul.
We are the ''Irish Rallycross Championship''.
I have been sending out updates to the press and some have been printed.
73 cars out for final round is not bad the way things are for people.
Time for a few more help the clubs do a bit and stop the moaning we still a great championship stop writing it off.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 20:57 (Ref:2649158)   #15
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
I would have thought that the decision was taken by M.I., and not Mondello. Why would Mondello make such a decision, more car's, more action, more punters paying at the gate.

John
That's why I said 'or whoever...' I'm not sure who makes these decisions. It could be trained chimps for all we know.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2649167)   #16
johnny99
Rookie

Ireland
Killucan, Ireland
Quote:
That's why I said 'or whoever...' I'm not sure who makes these decisions. It could be trained chimps for all we know.
Your not being fair to chimps,

John
Old 11 Mar 2010, 09:01 (Ref:2649436)   #17
Ramah
Racer

Ireland
Meath
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkiwan View Post
Hear hear Paul.
We are the ''Irish Rallycross Championship''.
I have been sending out updates to the press and some have been printed.
73 cars out for final round is not bad the way things are for people.
Time for a few more help the clubs do a bit and stop the moaning we still a great championship stop writing it off.
From what I can see no one is writing off the championship and as I said previously the racing in the classes was very good this year, however what can be done to promote the sport ? In response to the comment about boring cars I admit some cars are not as quick or spectacular as others depending mainly on budgets. I used to think the juniors were completely boring but after sitting in the stand this year the juniors provided some of the best racing from the classes and the sport needs to be inclusive and affordable we all cannot drive supercars (I wish !), What about getting an open round in Mondello ?
Old 11 Mar 2010, 12:20 (Ref:2649531)   #18
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Think also of EuroBoss, The British Touring Cars, the BSB etc...and somehow Mondello contrived to lose money during these events?
Certainly in terms of the BTCC, at the time as I understand it, Mondello had to actually pay a fee to get the event to come over. And the spectator numbers significantly dropped off after the first year.

Quote:
If Irish motorsport continues as it does with (what appears from the oustide) as no clear leadership, too many factions with in fightinmg amongst classes (my class is better than your class and other such childishness) rather than working together for the good of the sport and with no effort or ability in trying to increase crowd numbers, well then motorsport in Ireland will simply die.
Well there's no argument there. A lot of us have been saying that for some years now. Far too much emphasis and resources being put into Rallying AFAIC. That's not to decry Rallying, before anyone starts protesting - but it's not the be all and end all of motorsport and when you look at the time, money and effort that has been put into it, compared to what is put into circuit racing, by MI - it's not really surprising that one branch is dying.

I do think marketing is a huge problem. If I happen to be talking to someone and mention I'm in Mondello at the weekend, I usually get a blank look. And when I explain, most people don't even seem to know that Ireland even has a racing circuit. Of course, to advertise, you have to have the money to advertise so it becomes a vicious circle.

Quote:
it's on it's way out now as it is. I can't understand how Mondello remains viable. I know it has it's corporate stuff but still. It really could close and what would happen then?
John Morris and his team have been, and continue, to put huge amounts of work into finding other areas in the Leisure industry to keep the place viable. The recent addition of new activities, including 4x4 and tank driving are a great example. But it's a terrible shame that this "bread and butter" stuff is actually the only thing that seems to be keeping the circuit afloat.

I personally would like a bit more clarity on how Motorsport Ireland actually works and who is involved with it. My few experiences of it have been that it's basically a bunch of older gentlemen sitting in a room who still seem to believe that it's the 1950s and people have nothing else to do with their weekends but go and spectate at a motorsport event. That's only my perception of course, and may be completely incorrect - but I do struggle to see how MI is actually promoting motorsport in Ireland - particularly circuit racing. Perhaps someone involved can help with that?
Old 11 Mar 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2649543)   #19
johnny99
Rookie

Ireland
Killucan, Ireland
@ Evilpumkin, your perception of MI, is the same as mine. I attended a meeting a few years ago, and it was amazing. I am also involved in a youth club for under 12's, believe me the kids made more sense.

John Morris and his crew have done a very good job, but people in Ireland don't know anything about Mondello, or where it is. This needs to be addressed. MI have done feck all for circuit racing, as the perception is that they were collecting big revenue from rallying, and not interested in us. Maybe the quiteness of rallying at the moment, they may look at us again, but the fact that they did not allow the buggy's compete at Mondello is scary.
There are people out there that want to race, look at the rest of the grid out there last sunday, and how the entries for ITCC are looking.

John
Old 11 Mar 2010, 12:57 (Ref:2649548)   #20
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
@ Evilpumkin, your perception of MI, is the same as mine. I attended a meeting a few years ago, and it was amazing. I am also involved in a youth club for under 12's, believe me the kids made more sense.

John Morris and his crew have done a very good job, but people in Ireland don't know anything about Mondello, or where it is. This needs to be addressed. MI have done feck all for circuit racing, as the perception is that they were collecting big revenue from rallying, and not interested in us. Maybe the quiteness of rallying at the moment, they may look at us again, but the fact that they did not allow the buggy's compete at Mondello is scary.
There are people out there that want to race, look at the rest of the grid out there last sunday, and how the entries for ITCC are looking.

John
For all their efforts at rallying, it's not in great shape either is it? And the loss of the WRC round is just another typical example.

Can you guys break away from MI? They're a pathetic bunch. Get a more competent organisation like the HSE to oversee you...

Seriously, why do you guys put up with it? It's your sport after all.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 13:38 (Ref:2649587)   #21
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Can you guys break away from MI?
Not if we want to compete outside the Republic. We kinda need MI in order to have the FIA logo on the licence which is needed to race in the North, UK or anywhere else really.

Quote:
John Morris and his crew have done a very good job, but people in Ireland don't know anything about Mondello, or where it is. This needs to be addressed.
How many cars rumble past the Mondello exit on the M7 each day? I would guess a couple of thousand? Yet the only evidence of the circuit is a sign that says "Mondello".
It may sound so simple as to be considered stupid, but why not whack a ruddy big colourful sign in front of that a few days before an event?
We did it for the Kart Race of Champions (many moons ago) and it certainly made a noticeable difference to spectator numbers.

At the very least, improve the existing sign and add a "Next event is on...."

Last edited by Peter Dunne; 11 Mar 2010 at 13:49.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2649722)   #22
murf
Rookie

Ireland
talafornia
Quote:
For all their efforts at rallying, it's not in great shape either is it? And the loss of the WRC round is just another typical example.
the wrc round was not lost ,it is on a rotation and will be back,the galway inter. was at capasity,some smaller events have been affected.at the last forum only about 20 drivers attended which is a big let down, alot of lads will ***** and moan about this and that but when it comes to the time to do something about it they are nowhere to be seen,
how is it that for the past number of years we have had much bigger entries including the big boys(d.c,j.mc,gt,h.h)than the brda,but yet their the ones with the headline sponcers and tv ?
Old 11 Mar 2010, 19:21 (Ref:2649789)   #23
The Dozer
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
The Dozer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what i'm told from an organiser in the UK is the events in the UK are alot cheaper to run such as permit fees and that for running the event leaving a bit of cash to bring in telly + look at the amount of sponsors the open champ and the brda run with ... . . . . i might be wrong about the permit fees and that so feel free to correct me . . . . .
Old 11 Mar 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2649832)   #24
murf
Rookie

Ireland
talafornia
that could be true i was told by big ted that mondello was the only fia approved track that the brda raced on
Old 12 Mar 2010, 08:12 (Ref:2650141)   #25
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not Me