Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jun 2015, 19:42 (Ref:3549072)   #1
petecossie
Rookie

United Kingdom
Teesside
petecossie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Patrick Head receives knighthood - John Surtees?

Noticed today that Patrick Head has received a knighthood in the latest Queen's birthday honours list.
Although well deserved for Patrick Head, one wonders how John Surtees the only man to hold world titles on 2 and 4 wheels can be overlooked for the same honour to add to his MBE & OBE.
Old 13 Jun 2015, 21:40 (Ref:3549236)   #2
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is not beyond the realms of possibility that John Surtees has been offered such an honour, and that he declined to accept it. Do not forget that no list is provided of those who refuse honours; the only reason the public find out is because the intended recipient makes the matter known.
Old 14 Jun 2015, 17:57 (Ref:3550398)   #3
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do not forget that Nigel Mansell could deserve a knighthood, too...
Old 14 Jun 2015, 19:00 (Ref:3550426)   #4
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
No. Patrick has spent years and years and more developing, researching, planning, running a Team with Sir Frank. Nigel just drove one of the best Williams cars ever..
God, thinks.....
This would also mean Sir Lewis....no no no no no please, no.

Last edited by djinvicta; 14 Jun 2015 at 19:04. Reason: Awful after thought..
Old 14 Jun 2015, 21:57 (Ref:3550495)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sir Alan Jones first, surely.
Old 15 Jun 2015, 01:54 (Ref:3550572)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Sir Alan Jones first, surely.
Now there's an idea!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Jun 2015, 06:36 (Ref:3550623)   #7
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's also been a lot of campaigning by Surtees fans (note: not by the man himself) to get him a knighthood or point out the injustice. This won't help with such formal protocols around the Honours list.

Maybe if we stop asking and shut up for a couple of years, it may just happen.
Old 15 Jun 2015, 12:30 (Ref:3550722)   #8
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does it really matter...?
Old 15 Jun 2015, 12:31 (Ref:3550723)   #9
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by petecossie View Post
Noticed today that Patrick Head has received a knighthood in the latest Queen's birthday honours list.
Although well deserved for Patrick Head, one wonders how John Surtees the only man to hold world titles on 2 and 4 wheels can be overlooked for the same honour to add to his MBE & OBE.
Not wanting to take anything away from Sir Patrick Head and congratulations to him, yes, what about John Surtees?
Old 15 Jun 2015, 14:23 (Ref:3550756)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perhaps an online petition would help
Old 15 Jun 2015, 15:40 (Ref:3550772)   #11
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Perhaps an online petition would help
Now's your chance; carpe diem.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 03:40 (Ref:3551000)   #12
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
No. Patrick has spent years and years and more developing, researching, planning, running a Team with Sir Frank. Nigel just drove one of the best Williams cars ever..
God, thinks.....
Nigel has driven various of the best Williams cars: not only the FW14B but also the FW11, FW11B and FW14 proved him as a title contender. He also won with the FW10 and the FW16B!
His career is fairly more than his 1992 F1 campaign (alas, 1993 IndyCar one). So I'm not so skeptic about his chances to give him a knighthood...
Old 16 Jun 2015, 04:28 (Ref:3551008)   #13
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
You would have to wonder why Bernie Ecclestone has never been honoured either?.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 06:43 (Ref:3551029)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Why be a knight when you are already the King
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Jun 2015, 06:55 (Ref:3551034)   #15
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There's only so much bribery money to go around
Old 16 Jun 2015, 12:20 (Ref:3551123)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

I don't think the controversy over the British Labour party's policy on tobacco sponsorship has helped him any.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 14:25 (Ref:3551170)   #17
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

I don't think the controversy over the British Labour party's policy on tobacco sponsorship has helped him any.
The world of football might be able to get away with it, but the British really don't think that it's playing cricket to use bribes in sport. If the deal hadn't been uncovered and publicised in the media, then it is not behond the realms of possibility that BCE would have received a peerage. As it was, the Labour Party had to return the 2nd million that he "donated" as it was acknowledged that it was given on condition that the Government (Labour run by that time) continued to allow tobacco sponsorship for F1.

It has never been made clear whether Labour returned the first million or not!
Old 16 Jun 2015, 15:17 (Ref:3551191)   #18
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
no disrespect but i must admit i dont see the relevance of these honours versus purely secular awards based on quantifiable achievement.

its not my tradition so i guess i dont get it, but John Surtees won a world title...does he need an investiture to validate that accomplishment?

to what end does a title serve?

Lewis Hamilton seems to use his to act like a proper knight...which in historical terms means dressing in the most garish and foppish way imaginable...which, it must be said, is something he excels at.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 15:28 (Ref:3551200)   #19
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I think its because John won WCs on 2 and 4 wheels..
But I agree with you...
The "system" needs updating here. There are many many people that go unrecognised here after spending a lifetime doing good deeds for others.
The same as in all parts of the World. Some lovely people about...
Old 16 Jun 2015, 15:38 (Ref:3551211)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The same as in all parts of the World. Some lovely people about...
indeed there are!
Old 16 Jun 2015, 15:42 (Ref:3551216)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Nigel has driven various of the best Williams cars: not only the FW14B but also the FW11, FW11B and FW14 proved him as a title contender. He also won with the FW10 and the FW16B!
His career is fairly more than his 1992 F1 campaign (alas, 1993 IndyCar one). So I'm not so skeptic about his chances to give him a knighthood...
Yes, but surely if it was to be offered, it should have been years ago. Why would it be offered now?
Old 16 Jun 2015, 17:53 (Ref:3551252)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Now's your chance; carpe diem.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...on#post3195425

FWIW, djinvicta, many good people get recognised:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...urs-lists-2015
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._list_2015.pdf
Most you won't have heard of.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 20:29 (Ref:3551323)   #23
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
I agree Adam, they just dont get the same media coverage.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 20:43 (Ref:3551330)   #24
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Just scanned over the first 118 pages..
No Lewis H..
Old 16 Jun 2015, 20:46 (Ref:3551332)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Just scanned over the first 118 pages..

No Lewis H..

Services to heated forum debate?