Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 14 Nov 2015, 13:46 (Ref:3590355)   #1
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the barbaric attacks in Paris effect Le Mans?

We expecting high security after the barbaric incidents that occurred in Paris. I'm concerned about standing at the start/finish straight with my children on Saturday.
Old 14 Nov 2015, 14:42 (Ref:3590360)   #2
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's just what the terrorists want (beyond their misguided beliefs), create realm of fear and attempting to prevent you from participating in public happenings. Soon many people will be fearful of even visiting places like Paris, yet the likelihood of something happening to them personally is close to zero - even if this wasn't the end of these cowardly strikes. Normal life must continue.

Security will be improved after these two . And closed off event will be safer than central capital anyway.
Old 14 Nov 2015, 15:04 (Ref:3590367)   #3
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
I am sure, as will always happen, that aspects like security will be reviewed and updated, but as Chiana has stated, if you don't go through fear, then their minority has won over decent people and logic.

We ALL have a place in society, to help each other, to be vigilant for what is happening around us. Life is for living, don't let the few affect how the majority live their lives.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 14:19 (Ref:3590593)   #4
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Will the barbaric attacks in Paris effect Le Mans?

I thought it'd be a good idea to start a dedicated thread about this one, for it'll surely have percussions for our most coveted racing event.

I myself am absolutely not sure how this'll affect our anual pilgrimage. Contrary to what many still believe, this could very well escalade within months to a state of civil war. If this happens, I'm sure the ACO will stop the race being run. Let's face it, around the hour of the start and finish, such a congregation of people is a prime target...
Old 15 Nov 2015, 14:46 (Ref:3590602)   #5
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Civil war", or warfare of any kind in western continental Europe in this time and day sounds like someones written fanfic. I really don't think there's any chance of that happening, even if the cowardly strikes keep periodically popping up and shocking us.

Anyway, I'll quote myself from the other thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
That's just what the terrorists want (beyond their misguided beliefs), create realm of fear and attempting to prevent you from participating in public happenings. Soon many people will be fearful of even visiting places like Paris, yet the likelihood of something happening to them personally is close to zero - even if this wasn't the end of these cowardly strikes. Normal life must continue.

Security will be improved after these two . And closed off event will be safer than central capital anyway.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 18:06 (Ref:3590631)   #6
Michel Vaillant
Racer

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Michel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMichel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The "zero risk" can't exist, a terrorist person can attack everywhere : in museums, in train, in the street, in London, Paris, Madrid... absolutely everywhere.
So, IMO, the 24h circuit is not more dangerous than other places.
Then, the circuit will be guarded. This year, snipers was positioned on strategic places, gendarmerie was everywhere and check points was after the gates of the circuit. It's more difficult to attack in a closed place, like a circuit or a stadium, than in the streets.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 18:11 (Ref:3590634)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree that calling it off is letting the terrorists win. It was the same with the USGP in 2001
Old 15 Nov 2015, 18:13 (Ref:3590636)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
It's still 6 months away. In same period there's Euro Cup football. I think that's a bigger target.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 18:26 (Ref:3590638)   #9
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel Vaillant View Post
The "zero risk" can't exist, a terrorist person can attack everywhere : in museums, in train, in the street, in London, Paris, Madrid... absolutely everywhere.
So, IMO, the 24h circuit is not more dangerous than other places.
Then, the circuit will be guarded. This year, snipers was positioned on strategic places, gendarmerie was everywhere and check points was after the gates of the circuit. It's more difficult to attack in a closed place, like a circuit or a stadium, than in the streets.
I said "close to zero", not zero. Just like there's near zero chance of you getting killed in traffic accident on your way to work, or getting in the middle of robbery assault when you visit the bank... Or lightning strikes you. There's always the chance of something to come up, but it is extremely unlikely to happen to you personally. Even if the attacks got more frequent, moderately speaking. You gett crazy if you start second guessing your actions everywhere.

Theres a lot more public school shootings than there were... well, ever before, but does that stop people from attending classes? Of course not. Same with the more frequent plane crashes of late.

Even at places like Israel/Palestine where this sort of insanity has been an ongoing issue for ages between the opposite groups, the chance of you personally getting in the middle of conflict is not much higher. They'll get on with their lives.

Now, Syria and those places with ISIS control and ongoing military strikes, it's different matter, but that's the another end of spectrum.

Anyway, the chance of big public event getting targeted is more likely than small private gardening party, yes (although the randomness of these attacks show that as long as mayhem is achieved, their cowardly goals are seemingly achieved), but as said before, also the security will be infinitely higher. Also if you are going to target big BIG events, there are many more either politically or otherwise "important" events than LM to choose from.

Last edited by Deleted; 15 Nov 2015 at 18:36.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 20:21 (Ref:3590666)   #10
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Anyway the people of France have my support and let us all hope that we find a way to protect everyone from those that wish to end our way of life and inflict their twisted idea's on others
Old 15 Nov 2015, 20:34 (Ref:3590671)   #11
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm still going 100%, wouldn't have it any other way. It's just the thought of been in a crowded area with the kids after all this crap has kicked off.

As said its there plan to create fear in our minds.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 21:48 (Ref:3590684)   #12
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I'm still intending on being at Le Mans in June.

The day the extremists stop us living our lives is the day they've won - that won't happen on my watch.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 22:15 (Ref:3590690)   #13
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Terrorism wouldn't stop me from going to LeMans or Tunisia for that matter. I'm confident the event will pass off without a hitch anyway.

But they are going to have to increase security I assume. Given the massive track and high concentration of people as well as its relative high profile it is a tempting target for a blitz of entrepreneurial terrorism.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 22:19 (Ref:3590691)   #14
Deleted
Veteran

[As more lighthearted side remark amid this depressive topic]

If Le Mans was cancelled for the first time since 1948 (which of course won't happen unless theres some super dramatic development yet unseen, but for arguments sake), how many entries do you think the WEC and regional series would get?

10? 15?

IMSA would probably be one with least impact because it has largely isolated itself out of it already. Other regional series with LMP3 and other non directly LM affiliated filler classes maybe too having less issues. But the primary classes and WEC...
Old 16 Nov 2015, 08:06 (Ref:3590752)   #15
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I'm still intending on being at Le Mans in June.

The day the extremists stop us living our lives is the day they've won - that won't happen on my watch.
Agreed - otherwise you might as well stop all sports events close all pubs, restaurants, Museums and visitor events, shut all shopping centres, ban everyone from City Centres........

......and the terrorists will still find a way to get someone.
Old 16 Nov 2015, 21:52 (Ref:3590905)   #16
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
It's good to see everyone here is still defiant in the face of fear. We'll need that in the upcoming years. Don't forget the fact that in Paris, just 7 guys with AK's got over 130 people. If it were to be a hundred, things would no longer be 'a terrorist attack' but an out and out war. This is what them muhammedans want. I'm glad to see all here adamant on going to Le Mans(as am I) but if it's war, things will turn very rapidly...

Let's hope it's not to be.