Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Mar 2017, 17:16 (Ref:3715607)   #1
wimiu012uk
Rookie

wimiu012uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV coverage of F1 Test

What on earth are Sky and Liberty media up to, we have had weeks of build up to the pre season testing, Liberty media going on about engaging with the fans and Sky with a channel dedicated to F1 and we are reduced to 2 x 15min progs on sky/day with hardly any shots of the cars and loads of boring interviews.
I have just watched a 5min video posted on UTube by a spectator at Barcelona showing far far more of the cars in action.
I wonder why I am paying my subscription fee to Sky for the F1 channel.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 17:25 (Ref:3715611)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Apparently Sky were getting the viewing figures for testing, so they dropped the live coverage. It being on in the middle of a weekday won't have helped
Old 1 Mar 2017, 18:39 (Ref:3715626)   #3
wimiu012uk
Rookie

My point was that I don't necessarily want full live coverage, but surely they could edit together at least 30mins of footage of the cars running for transmission during the evening from various trackside locations, 2 cameras, 2 sound men, one editor and one commentator would be all that was needed with a technician to upload the edited footage to the sky satellite for transmission, or am I being too simplistic ?
Old 1 Mar 2017, 20:10 (Ref:3715646)   #4
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But has Mr Ecclestone passed on the contract to televise/film F1 action, whether it be at a test session or at a race, to Liberty? It was made abundantly clear during the interview between Ted Kravitz and Ross Brawn that it would not have been permitted by BCE, as no cameras were permitted above ground level during test sessions; the interview took place in an upper level office at the circuit.

Prior to the sale of FOM, the filming of F1 was undertaken by one of BCE's companies. Was that company included in the sale?
Old 1 Mar 2017, 22:55 (Ref:3715671)   #5
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't know for sure, but I thought FOM (or some other corporate entity) was an umbrella for various bits and pieces including (?) the broadcasting side. I would be absolutely shocked if it wasn't part of the deal with Liberty. Why would they buy it if they couldn't control the media contracts?

Being in the US, I have no real understanding about what all Sky does with respect to F1, but I assume they have broadcast rights for the UK? I assume Liberty is working on big picture issues vs trying to solve them on country at a time (even if so much of F1 is consolidated in the UK.). Lots of work to be done. Give them some time.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 1 Mar 2017 at 23:00.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 23:19 (Ref:3715677)   #6
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I don't know for sure, but I thought FOM (or some other corporate entity) was an umbrella for various bits and pieces including (?) the broadcasting side. I would be absolutely shocked if it wasn't part of the deal with Liberty. Why would they buy it if they couldn't control the media contracts?

Being in the US, I have no real understanding about what all Sky does with respect to F1, but I assume they have broadcast rights for the UK? I assume Liberty is working on big picture issues vs trying to solve them on country at a time (even if so much of F1 is consolidated in the UK.). Lots of work to be done. Give them some time.

Richard
I believe that BCE kept the filming side separate from the broadcasting. If my memory on this is correct, the filming side was controlled by him even before the split up in 2010 with the FIA, and it was run for Mr E by a chap called Baker. For some races, the locals supplied and handled the cameras, but for many races it was all done by Baker's people who also controlled the editing and the output that was broadcast.

Sky have bought the rights to broadcast all the live races, whilst another channel has the rights for half the live races, plus delayed running of the remaining ones.

Interestingly enough, Sky attempted to tempt certain Virgin Media customers into taking up their sports' package through Virgin by giving them 6 weeks free viewing of the channels, including the F1 channel. I believe, because of the cost, that take-up was very low and now that F1 is nearly upon us, the free trial has ended.
Old 2 Mar 2017, 10:02 (Ref:3715750)   #7
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
You guys don't have live coverage?
Old 3 Mar 2017, 07:05 (Ref:3716018)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All four days highlights and notebooks are on this evening on sky for anyone who missed them.

It's an outrage.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 09:41 (Ref:3716052)   #9
wimiu012uk
Rookie

Watched the first 3 shown, didn't bother with fourth as was so disappointed, all they showed was Ted in pitlane and cars coming down pitlane and then being hidden behind pit screens.
Then there were several boring interviews, one with Niko WHO wants to hear what last years news has to say about this years news ?
The only interesting interview was with Ross.
An absolute disgrace for a billion dollar sport, can only hope Liberty are listening and do something about interacting with the fans of the sport.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 14:24 (Ref:3716118)   #10
mikestow
Rookie

mikestow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sky's coverage is total crap now,and I am happy to rely on Ch4 with far better presenters and some live races and highlights of other races.Saving £40 a month and using the Firestick solves most of the other reasons to bin Sky completely.Nuff said!!Much prefer DC and Mark,plus Susie and the occasional EJ,plus Steve is a much better presenter than the awful Lazenby,who still looks stilted and ingnorant!
Old 3 Mar 2017, 16:05 (Ref:3716151)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
You aren't happy with sky then ...
Old 3 Mar 2017, 21:02 (Ref:3716230)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wouldn't pay for it if I was them.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 23:08 (Ref:3716245)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Your hilarious, maybe some therapy for "I hate world" what do you think Adam ..👁
Old 3 Mar 2017, 23:30 (Ref:3716247)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I haven't needed to do that since ITV.

Anyway, remember I sold my telly when that really outrageous thing happened in F1.
Quote:
Obviously it doesn't matter to me as I sold my telly when something outrageous once happened. I forget what it was.
Quote:
I sold my telly and never watched another race because of the diffuser saga.
It has been great. I go outside on Sunday afternoons and generally enjoy life.
Quote:
I can't watch any of it as I sold my telly after the points change was reversed.
As you can see this is irrelevant to me anyway. Although it seems I am a little confused as to what is outrageous.
Old 4 Mar 2017, 03:18 (Ref:3716280)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
How many tellys do you own? I am extremely jealous and rather upset and ......
Old 4 Mar 2017, 09:44 (Ref:3716393)   #16
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having treated myself to a bigger TV I watched the 15 minutes showing a few shots of the new cars in action with great interest. The cars looked amazing, very wide and squat, so much so that I suspect the screen size distorts things and now need to find a way of comparing pictures.

If it does prove to be a distortion I shall be disappointed, any boffins out there with info?