Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Feb 2018, 01:57 (Ref:3798867)   #151
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Canadian Nelsinho. Being Nelsinho his friend. Can't say it better.
Old 6 Feb 2018, 07:29 (Ref:3798890)   #152
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
So I had to see exactly what Massa said. Here is the tweet in question...

https://twitter.com/MassaFelipe19/st...93717027790849

So, I agree about why even get involved? But Massa's version of not getting involved was to get involved by actively saying "no comment" and then leaving it up to his followers to determine what "no comment" means "as a comment".

I generally took it as... "I don't agree, but I am not going to go into details"

So while looking at the tweet... I got a real kick out of one of the responses which was a GIF that I take as commenting upon Stroll as both having been born with a silver spoon in his mouth, but maybe also his inability to find his own way. I really don't really have an issue with Stroll in general, but I just found it too funny to not share...

Richard
Thanks Richard.

Epic.

So Massa's actual comment was:

"better not to comment"

Given Williams got a restraining order against Jaques, I think Massa's approach is fully justified, why does he need this in his life?

http://iforsports.com/williams-impos...raining-order/

I think that S. Griffin's comment above about says it all:

"I think there would have been areas where he couldn’t have not learned from Massa, especially in debriefs. Learning from someone better often makes you better."
Old 6 Feb 2018, 10:41 (Ref:3798931)   #153
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Why would Massa bother to get involved?

The next question would be, was it because the mentoring wasn't available, or somebody was arrogant and knew everything anyway?

2018 will be an interesting test for Stroll, we will see what his results without Massa look like.
a grown-up would have ignored it. the important people know the truth, whatever that may be, and that’s all that matters.
Old 6 Feb 2018, 12:15 (Ref:3798960)   #154
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
a grown-up would have ignored it. the important people know the truth, whatever that may be, and that’s all that matters.
I'm getting the impression you have a lesser opinion of massa than the general public. I am curious as to why. There has been something about him that has had me wonder if the general view of him as a great guy was a little off the mark. I don't want to bash him baselessly, but I was wondering if you could expand on your opinion of him as someone who I take it is involved in the sport and may have greater insight.
Old 6 Feb 2018, 15:06 (Ref:3798991)   #155
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Stroll is not a bad driver, but he seems to want things too much his own way and seems Williams are doing it for him, no doubt because he pays the bills, although his talent does need to be harnessed
Old 6 Feb 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3799001)   #156
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Stroll needs to deliver this year, if not then he simply is not good enough
Old 6 Feb 2018, 16:50 (Ref:3799022)   #157
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
On his day, Stroll was good. At the end of the season, the time when you would expect him to be at his best and most settled, he put in a couple of abysmal performances.

Back in the day, new drivers would be given the benefit of the doubt for the first season or two. However in recent seasons, we have had teenagers come in and smash it pretty much straight away, which kind of leaves us with high expectations of all new drivers.

I have already mentioned on here my disappointment of Williams lineup this year. Hopefully I am proved wrong.

Villeneuve seems to make a lot of derogatory comments about a lot of things. I have long since stopped giving credence to his opinion.
Old 6 Feb 2018, 17:21 (Ref:3799029)   #158
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The next question would be, was it because the mentoring wasn't available, or somebody was arrogant and knew everything anyway?
Now you are quite literally creating fictional scenarios to support a clickbait headline.
Old 6 Feb 2018, 18:20 (Ref:3799041)   #159
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I’m feeling particularly ornery, so I’ll get this off my chest. Villeneuve is a loudmouth with a failed career behind him (post-1997) and will say whatever will get him some reportage. He was good-ish, though a dozen drivers could have won the title in the 1997 Williams. Stroll is not terrible. He’s also probably good-ish, and is doing as well as half a dozen drivers could have done in the 2017 Williams. He certainly deserves a second year in F1, but I agree he needs to step it up a bit and show he’s proper F1 material. I think he might do so. My worry is that he’ll beat Sirotkin and people will say “Yeah, but Sirotkin’s rubbish”. There are too many people, including on this forum, for whom Stroll can’t win. It’s the part of fandom that really annoys me.

I’m done now.
Old 6 Feb 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3799058)   #160
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I'm getting the impression you have a lesser opinion of massa than the general public. I am curious as to why. There has been something about him that has had me wonder if the general view of him as a great guy was a little off the mark. I don't want to bash him baselessly, but I was wondering if you could expand on your opinion of him as someone who I take it is involved in the sport and may have greater insight.
firstly, let me say i respect him and the fact that a lot of people who have worked with him think very highly of him speaks to how good he is. see also the standing ovation he got from the entire pitlane in brazil '16.
but i've always found that he does the wrong type of ~speaking out. he mouths off after an incident and never apologises for getting it wrong. this is a good example of that - he REALLY didn't need to say or do anything. and yet he did. in my opinion over the years he's cried wolf about so many incidents and issues that it makes him hard to believe. he seems to play on his holier than thou reputation a bit?

to put that into context i'm also not a fan of ricciardo - he's an inverse raikkonen. both him and massa come off a bit like they're acting in a reality show to me. on the other hand i don't mind lewis - perhaps because he's a lot more transparent. stroll seems a bit too assertive, but he's shown from his f3 exploits that he may be a bit arrogant but he also learns when he needs to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Now you are quite literally creating fictional scenarios to support a clickbait headline.
it's definitely bordering on fanfiction
Old 7 Feb 2018, 05:04 (Ref:3799198)   #161
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
firstly, let me say i respect him and the fact that a lot of people who have worked with him think very highly of him speaks to how good he is. see also the standing ovation he got from the entire pitlane in brazil '16.
but i've always found that he does the wrong type of ~speaking out. he mouths off after an incident and never apologises for getting it wrong. this is a good example of that - he REALLY didn't need to say or do anything. and yet he did. in my opinion over the years he's cried wolf about so many incidents and issues that it makes him hard to believe. he seems to play on his holier than thou reputation a bit?

to put that into context i'm also not a fan of ricciardo - he's an inverse raikkonen. both him and massa come off a bit like they're acting in a reality show to me. on the other hand i don't mind lewis - perhaps because he's a lot more transparent. stroll seems a bit too assertive, but he's shown from his f3 exploits that he may be a bit arrogant but he also learns when he needs to.

it's definitely bordering on fanfiction
That kind of jives with the impression I have gotten of him at times. He will point out in an interview things like making a great start or moving up through the field. But he also would say a pit stop mistake cost them time or something. Basically it came across as him pointing out his greatness while having no problem calling out his team for failures so it was clear it wasn't him responsible for the result if it was disappointing.

But like you, the respect he has in the paddock does say something to me. I can also see ricciardo being fake or something. Big reputation as super nice guy, but has said some negative things over the radio that came from nowhere. Also just gives off impression of someone who could cut someone down almost like a bully would but then smile and say he was joking. Except it isn't a joke to the target.

Anyway.... Enough psycho analyzing or whatever from this amateur :rotate.
Old 7 Feb 2018, 11:42 (Ref:3799298)   #162
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I haven't seen Ricciardo ever use dirty tactics. And also couldn't agree less with him being fake. He does it because he's a happy go lucky character who also is a serious driver
Old 7 Feb 2018, 12:42 (Ref:3799311)   #163
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I haven't seen Ricciardo ever use dirty tactics. And also couldn't agree less with him being fake. He does it because he's a happy go lucky character who also is a serious driver
The "sore loser" comment about verstappen (although in justified frustration), a few years ago at the U.S. gp, a comment over the radio about something good for someone (my guess/assumption was about rosberg) he said something like "great. Couldn't have happened to a better mate". Was a sarcastic tone. Like I said, it's an amateur analysis, and based off an impression I get from him. Yes, he is or comes across as a happy go lucky character. But like all f1 drivers, he's hyper competitive and that can easily show with a cutting or biting comment to the competition, even a teammate. Then a big smile and laugh as though it's a joke and he keeps his happy go lucky character up.

All that said, I pull for him because I have no actual proof he is anything but one of the nicer guys in f1 and also a great racer and entertaining.

I'll also stop this thread derailment now.
Old 7 Feb 2018, 14:09 (Ref:3799326)   #164
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
the problem with fandom, especially with social media but also here to an extent, is that people get charicatured. in same cases they don’t help themselves (hi lewis), but it’s as if fans forget that people are more than one character trait, that say, being a funny guy doesn’t also preclude them from being a prat, or being a sporting hero means they can’t also kick puppies in their spare time. one flaw in a character and they’re problematic. no, they’re humans, they’re not fictional people from a book or badly written tv series. ok, kicking puppies IS pretty problematic. but you get the point.

you see that with stroll - firstly he’s an issue because money eased his way through the learning formulae. then he was an issue because he was too heavy handed on track and causing a lot of drama. then when that had gone away, he was irritating because he’d been able to buy f1 tracktime. it literally never ends.

and yet i can guarantee people won’t have an issue with norris, even though he has third parties running his social media, has been incredibly fortunate with tracktime but has had mclaren and most of the media creating him an identity.
Old 7 Feb 2018, 15:09 (Ref:3799332)   #165
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
and yet i can guarantee people won’t have an issue with norris, even though he has third parties running his social media, has been incredibly fortunate with tracktime but has had mclaren and most of the media creating him an identity.
I agree with pretty much everything you say, except this.

Norris will in all likelihood get a free pass from the English speaking press... mostly. And from most of the European press too, until such time as he does something a bit daft on track or manages to lose his temper after an incident. Then we'll see the Italian media, for one, start to crucify him. They'll turn the screws, slowly, inexorably, until that bleeds out onto social media into the fandom silos.

And if that doesn't happen, there'll be a growing cry on social media of "yeah, he's good but he's boring".

Damned if you do, etc!
Old 7 Feb 2018, 15:34 (Ref:3799334)   #166
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Back in the day, new drivers would be given the benefit of the doubt for the first season or two. However in recent seasons, we have had teenagers come in and smash it pretty much straight away, which kind of leaves us with high expectations of all new drivers.
this doesnt get mentioned enough imo.

Quote:
Villeneuve seems to make a lot of derogatory comments about a lot of things. I have long since stopped giving credence to his opinion.
also this...former champ and he is entitled to his opinion and all that...but he is a commentator/pundit now so saying outrageous things makes for good click bait.

people filling the empty spaces for their own advancement.

anyways back to Stroll...cant help but feel the negative opinion/comments people have of him would be exactly the same even if he had come out and said that Massa was his mentor.

his future success would no longer be his own (due to money and and Massa's help) and his future failures would be a result of advancement through money and a lack of Massa to show him the way.

there was no 'right' answer he could have given to any question about mentorship.

damned if you do indeed.
Old 7 Feb 2018, 18:14 (Ref:3799368)   #167
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Brett Favre mentor Aaron Rodgers
Old 7 Feb 2018, 18:19 (Ref:3799371)   #168
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Why would Massa bother to get involved?
If you hafta' ask, I don't think the answer will help you understand. Some don't think only of themselves.

jimclark
Old 7 Feb 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3799372)   #169
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

jimclark
Old 8 Feb 2018, 02:00 (Ref:3799426)   #170
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
If you hafta' ask, I don't think the answer will help you understand. Some don't think only of themselves.
Why would Massa get involved in the tit for tat argument about the level of mentoring and help that Stroll received during the 2017, not why would Massa mentor Stroll in the first place.

YOur remark is not relevant to my post.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 02:43 (Ref:3799439)   #171
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Why would Massa get involved in the tit for tat argument about the level of mentoring and help that Stroll received during the 2017, not why would Massa mentor Stroll in the first place.

YOur remark is not relevant to my post.
Quite. I stand corrected. Accept my apology, please.
Too many have axes to grind about Lance and I jumped to that conclusion about your post. Again, 'sorry.

I think back to Jackie and Francois....good times.

jimclark
Old 8 Feb 2018, 23:02 (Ref:3799717)   #172
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Quite. I stand corrected. Accept my apology, please.
Too many have axes to grind about Lance and I jumped to that conclusion about your post. Again, 'sorry.

I think back to Jackie and Francois....good times.
No problem, its forgotten,
Old 10 Feb 2018, 16:42 (Ref:3800315)   #173
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
What’s his user name?
Old 11 Feb 2018, 00:03 (Ref:3800374)   #174
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
What’s his user name?
"Rentagob" would be appropriate.
Old 11 Feb 2018, 18:57 (Ref:3800529)   #175
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry..I quite enjoy ex racers gobbing off about current drivers...
Sounds sometimes like severe sour grapes.
Wait till Massa starts..