Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Dec 2016, 16:47 (Ref:3696966)   #1
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What now for Manor?

Interested to see what you guys think will happen with the team, they made good progress this year didn't they, comfortably caught up with the pack and scored their point with pace rather than everyone else dropping out around them. They have got some very good guys in place on the management side, Ryan, Tombazis, Fry etc, but i think a huge amount depends on the drivers for next year, the Wehrlein, Ocon dream ticket level of ability is unlikely to happen again is it. Also the sale or investment in the team is looming, hopefully it won't totally derail the whole thing as it would be a shame to lose them.
Old 18 Dec 2016, 16:53 (Ref:3696968)   #2
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was a good season but they have not the best budget. Now it looks like the Gelael family will buy Manor, but that's just a short-time solution.

Same for Sauber I think.
Old 18 Dec 2016, 17:17 (Ref:3696978)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree, it was good to see them mixing with the others rather than being in their own race
Old 18 Dec 2016, 17:49 (Ref:3696993)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i don't know how much money they spent this season but the guys continue to do a great job on a relatively small percentage of what the big guys spend. hopefully they've been able to spend a decent amount of design time on next years car and keep up with that before and during the sale process.
Old 18 Dec 2016, 21:27 (Ref:3697022)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
it was a good season but they have not the best budget. Now it looks like the Gelael family will buy Manor, but that's just a short-time solution.

Same for Sauber I think.
Does it guarantee Mr Harayanto a seat?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 18 Dec 2016, 23:22 (Ref:3697039)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I don't know.

Certainly 2017 will be a big test.

If they can hold station (or even improve) it would be a very good sign, but I would say history would suggest they will drop back a bit again (arguably fold during the season).

The machine is a brutal thing.
Old 21 Dec 2016, 12:33 (Ref:3697606)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Could Ron Dennis Take Over Manor?"- Article

Old 21 Dec 2016, 17:22 (Ref:3697654)   #8
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Actually, I quite like the idea of this and after running the conglomerate that McLaren became and he built, I wonder if the appeal of a back to his roots F1 project is lighting Ron's fire? Puts him back on Mercedes books too.....
Old 21 Dec 2016, 21:46 (Ref:3697704)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
At 69? No chance. To get a Manor on the podium inside five years would be a miracle. What's in it for Ron?
Old 21 Dec 2016, 21:57 (Ref:3697712)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
At 69? No chance. To get a Manor on the podium inside five years would be a miracle. What's in it for Ron?
To beat McLaren at its own game?
Old 21 Dec 2016, 22:00 (Ref:3697714)   #11
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Ricardo Gelael won't pay for Rio Haryanto. Ricardo will pay for Sean. But no matter what the new season brings, we’ll always have a race in Paul Ricard coming. Bisou bisou!
Old 21 Dec 2016, 22:59 (Ref:3697729)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
To beat McLaren at its own game?
The chances of that are minuscule at best.
Old 22 Dec 2016, 01:00 (Ref:3697750)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
A recalcitrant Honda powerplant in 2017 might make it more plausible than you think...
Old 22 Dec 2016, 10:08 (Ref:3697832)   #14
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The article reads like a journalists musings, rather than anything with real substance. However stranger things have happened.
Old 22 Dec 2016, 11:27 (Ref:3697858)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think we need more sources before we speculate if this is going to happen
Old 22 Dec 2016, 17:53 (Ref:3697949)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Depends what sort of strategy and structure is in place!!
Old 22 Dec 2016, 22:02 (Ref:3697992)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
The article reads like a journalists musings, rather than anything with real substance. However stranger things have happened.
The very same story, almost verbatim, seems to be splashed around the web in different places, although perhaps nowhere recognised as credible just yet.
Old 24 Dec 2016, 10:09 (Ref:3698238)   #18
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was just musing what the actual difference is between Manor and Haas.

Manor has been around for a few seasons and has had some staff with lots of experience and yet Haas came in and vastly outperformed them with the same power unit (?). What is the difference and if RD were to come in what would he do to make the step change that is required.

The margin is so small, Wehlein was their best performer according the Autosport analysis and finding a single second would have made a vast difference. Where could that extra time be found? Is it all down to marginal improvements across the board or is there a single discipline where expertise is lacking. The eternal question is how would a top driver perform in the Manor?

The Haas performance must make the present management at Manor feel really bad.

It is easy to blame the budget but where would an extra chunk of cash be spent?
Old 24 Dec 2016, 10:11 (Ref:3698239)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Not quite the same PU! 😉
Old 24 Dec 2016, 10:51 (Ref:3698242)   #20
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Was just musing what the actual difference is between Manor and Haas.

Manor has been around for a few seasons and has had some staff with lots of experience and yet Haas came in and vastly outperformed them with the same power unit (?). What is the difference

The Haas performance must make the present management at Manor feel really bad.
Manor did it the non 'customer-car' way didn't they, whereas Haas took the easier route that wasn't open to Manor at the time?

But yes, Manor's bosses will still feel quite bad I'd imagine.
Old 24 Dec 2016, 10:58 (Ref:3698243)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
haas have a crap ton more money available too. you can design the best upgrade package in the world but if the money isn't there to implement it...
Old 24 Dec 2016, 13:41 (Ref:3698264)   #22
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Ah yes, an upgrade package.

I have this thing about "magic words" that can be dropped into a business plan or a presentation and such things. The list grows, "sponsorship" solves lots of problems in a plan. "Sales budget" is a phrase essential in a business presentation, a need for "new products" is both an objective and an excuse and upgrade package is always a magic word dropped into discussions about next season/next race (delete as appropriate).

Actually beefing up the words with real ideas or actions is what matters

I suspect that in this case the actual magic words are "marginal improvements"

Old 29 Dec 2016, 07:18 (Ref:3698927)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
haas have a crap ton more money available too. you can design the best upgrade package in the world but if the money isn't there to implement it...
The Manors were reported to be lacking in downforce all year.. unless a B-spec car is introduced, which costs the same to build (if not more than) as the season's original design. With acreage of signage space available on the Manors pretty much all year, the B likely had to stay on the CAD drawing.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3699688)   #24
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, with Wehrlein all but confirmed at Sauber you would have to say things look very grim on the driver front for Manor, i really wouldn't want to call who will end there but it is safe to say it won't be a patch on last years line up unfortunately.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 14:24 (Ref:3699692)   #25
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Nasr isn't a bed pedaller but the loss of his Banco do Brasil cash may stymie his chances. Gutiérrez is a possibility but he didn't really impress at Haas. I'd like to see Haryanto get another shot - he ran Wehrlein closer than I expected in the first half of 2016.