Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jan 2004, 11:09 (Ref:836441)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Zero Tolerance

Just so your warned, my fello F1 mods and I are getting a little tired of some of the rubbish posted lately.

The off-season is usually a nice quiet time for us. We can relax and recharge the batteries so when the new season comes, we are on the ball so we can continue to try and make this the best F1 forum for everyone.

However, the behavior of late of a few members, has been deplorable. Posts have been edited, threads have been closed, and a couple have been suspended or banned.

Not good enough.

Thread hijacking is worse than ever, and the rubbish thrown in (Anti-Michael, Anti-Juan, Anti- Ferrari, Anti-whatever) that has nothing to do with the thread topic is becoming irritating.

So, the F1 mods will be adopting a 'zero tolerence' policy until behavior improves. If your post as a BS comment in it that has nothing to do with the thread, your entire post will be deleted. We wont be warning you first, editing the bad bit out, or ignoring it. Your post will just disappear.

Added to this, we are tightening up on flame bait and unnesessary driver/team bashing. The same procedure will apply.

Having just removed a 'Ferrari/FIA cheat' post from the Mclaren wing thread (irrelevant???) its getting tiresome.

We will keep a list of all members that need this applied, and if we find you are giving us too much work, you'll be looking for another forum.

If your unsure about any of this, please feel free to PM me or the other mods.

Happy off season

Your friendly F1 Mod team.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 00:11 (Ref:839810)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
"Zero Tolerance" Thread

On the whole, I was entirely in agreement with Wrex's comments on behalf of the moderators. However, I was somewhat dismayed to find the thread itseld closed, and therefore next to impossible to discuss.

Don't get me wrong. I get as tired as the next man of a thread suddenly becoming an opportunity to have a go at Jacques Villeneuve, Ferrari or whatever. And I have noticed in recent times that threads have become excessively personal.

However... however, it is, surely, a fine line between flagrantly off-topic posts, on the one hand, and the natural and organic development of a thread on the other. One of the joys of message-boards - for me, anyway - is that one topic can lead perfectly logically into another, quite unexpected one. I would hate to think that the actions of a few hotheads who can't confine themselves to arguments and resort instead to ad hominem attacks could stifle the free exchange of ideas on a board like this.

Thoughts?
Old 16 Jan 2004, 00:25 (Ref:839825)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
BSchneiderFan, from past experience we've found that when an annoucement is made, discussion of it tends to lead to either conflict, complaints, or attacks on the mods. Thus, it is usually 'locked'.

I'm happy to leave this open for now, as I think it's not just the mods that are tired of it, but many members as well.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 02:50 (Ref:839920)   #4
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

In the school system I work for they have zero tolerance too but, no consequences! I'm glad that's not the case here.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 09:11 (Ref:840096)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
BSchneiderFan topics developing is something that is allowed. Take the Spa Bus Stop thread. It has lost the original point, but we can always start another thread. The development posts in it are interesting and new to the forum.

However most 'off topic' rambling concerns those few topics that are always discussed. You know the ones I mean! We try to discourage that, because if we didn't every single thread would end up being on a bar room brawl the same (boring) topic.

That is not to say that these points can't be discussed, just that they shouldn't be discussed in every thread. A similar situation applies if the forum becomes flooded only with threads with the same intent.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 13:02 (Ref:840295)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
EDIT

Thank you Kicking back, that comment (attacking another poster) is precisely why we dont open this annoucements up to discussion.

Wrex
Old 16 Jan 2004, 21:21 (Ref:840906)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm all for zero tolerance and trust the mods will administer it fairly.

What I don't understand is the point that threads must stay on topic. Sometimes topics lead to other discussions (sometimes directly related, sometimes not) and I don't see how that is a bad thing. If they lead to bashing or pointless bickering then I understand the closure of a thread and I'm all for that. But if the tangent is a natural extension of the discussion, why is not ok to go off topic? Thanks for any comments.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 21:26 (Ref:840912)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the mods let you stray off topic, it's only when it's either WAY off topic or something like "Jerez 1997, I hate TGF, blah, blah, nonsense" when the thread is actually discussing Silverstones car parks!
Old 16 Jan 2004, 21:27 (Ref:840913)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More an observation than an attack, but point taken.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 22:11 (Ref:840972)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm one of the worst for finding a tangential point. I make no apology per se. However I do realise that it can be annoying so I resist as much as possible. Then again. JV. Isn't it time............ Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh nooo Wrex, I''m sorry, it won't happen again!!!!!!!!
Old 16 Jan 2004, 23:01 (Ref:841040)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If a topic brings up a new point that occurs to you then there is always the possibility of starting a new thread. Especially when the original thread is still new.

Most threads are just left to develop. Maybe if it develops enough and it is easy and clear to do so the thread will be split. However some topics (yes those ones) will obviously destroy the thread and are also irrelevant. When this happens we will mention it.

I think there is a distinction between thread hijacking and off topic.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 01:15 (Ref:841125)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Maybe I should have been a bit clearer. This will be applied on a case by case basis.

We apreciate the fact sometimes threads 'naturaly' take a different direction. If they develope that way and the thread starter and participants seem to be happy with it we probably wont do anything.

What will not tolerate, is an excuse to bash (who/what-ever) or a blatent thread hijack.

We will be looking for :

- Threads that are page 3+ that have the same 2 or 3 members arguing the same points over and over and over again.

- Members who seem to have a 'history' of adding these little 'spitefull' comments.

- Comments that have nothing to do with the thread

- Spillage of an argument from one thread to another.

Its like this. We dont want to have the most members, or the biggest forum. As far as can recall, Craig never has. We want the best forum.

If that means make life unpleasant for those that disrupt the site, consider it done. Some may even need to ask themselves if Ten-tenths is the forum for them.

If you here for meaningful discussion and will respect the opinion of others, congratulations, you are home. If you love to argue, hate some drivers and teams, and will use any opportunity to say so, please check www.google.com. I have no doubt you can find another F1 forum where the rules are alot easier than here.

Note - Kicking back, its not that I did'nt agree with you (believe me), just not the time and place to say so.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 01:41 (Ref:841134)   #13
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BRavo Wrex et al! It has become rather evident as of late it has always seemed to go in cycles based on a few people. But rules enforced tight for everyone is the only, and definitely the best way to go about it
Old 17 Jan 2004, 08:30 (Ref:841309)   #14
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I support (with zero tolerance ) idea of deleting posts that go off topic (not that I never made any of those ) for one simple reason - the 'developed' thread might turn into something completely new&interesting which might be missed by people who didn't participate in original thread 'coz they found it uninteresting.
So, IMHO, it's better to open a new thread - everyone will see it.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 13:31 (Ref:841535)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess I just tested the zero tolerance policy out....oops.....

Sorry Wrex! I'll be careful, don't hit me! Please!

Last edited by Knowlesy; 17 Jan 2004 at 13:31.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 16:43 (Ref:841647)   #16
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
good WRex!! a lot of threads seem to deviate from the original topic which is annoying. (at times i myself am guilty). so good to see that youll be taking strict measures to keep up the quality of the forum!
Old 18 Jan 2004, 01:10 (Ref:842004)   #17
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm all for it Wrex
Old 18 Jan 2004, 03:07 (Ref:842048)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could you go over to the Champ Car Forum and make the same announcement?
Old 18 Jan 2004, 10:30 (Ref:842214)   #19
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote "I'm all for it Wrex"

May i say..me too!

Old 18 Jan 2004, 20:38 (Ref:842646)   #20
nippy
Racer

nippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ME 3
Old 19 Jan 2004, 10:04 (Ref:843105)   #21
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good rule. As some might have noticed, I don't post here on ten-tenths as much as I used to it, and some of it's because of this very reason. Cheers Wrexy
Old 19 Jan 2004, 11:41 (Ref:843158)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's good to see how many support this action.

What about the rest...
Old 19 Jan 2004, 11:54 (Ref:843161)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Definately a good move. I enjoy ten-tenths more than any other forum, because the quality of debate is so high, with so many knowledgable intellegent members constructing logical intersting debate and many genuinely informed practcial suggestions. Certain members have a habit of dragging this down, and more control is needed.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 04:46 (Ref:843553)   #24
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
As long as we can still have a giggle...
Old 20 Jan 2004, 18:37 (Ref:844369)   #25
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Have I been a good boy chaps?