Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 5 May 2009, 01:54 (Ref:2455554)   #1
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Museums

I’m planning a trip to the UK in July/August, and am trying to decide what to see and where to go – in this case what museums are worth visiting? Can anyone give me an idea if the museums below are any good, or are there others I should be considering? NB, I don’t expect to get to all of these, so have to prioritise.

National Motor Museum, Beaulieu
Motoring Heritage Centre, Gaydon
Coventry Transport Museum
Brooklands Museum
Donington Grand Prix Collection
Glasgow Museum of Transport

Also we plan to go to France & Belgium (although we won't be far from them, it doesn't look like we will get over the borders into Germany or Switzerland), I have the Schlumpf museum on the list in Mulhouse. Any others in northern France or Belgium?

Thanks for any help!
Old 8 May 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2457764)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The Stavelot museum is worth a look if you are near Spa.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 May 2009, 09:10 (Ref:2457782)   #3
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can strongly recommend Donnington and Coventry. Both are much larger collections than you would ever imagine before you visit them and both representative of their subject.

Of course a lot depends on what your interests are, if you are an out and out race fan and have no interest in road cars Coventry might not be for you but they do have the two fastest cars in the world Thrust 2 and Thrust SSC as well as the more transport oriented exhibits.

To wander off topic a little another excellent museum is the RAF Museum at Cosford who have a huge collection military aircraft but of course if you have no interest in military aircraft (not unlikely as you posted the question in a motorsport forum) that may not be of much use to you although they do have a mini, a VW beetle and a trabant in the cold war building.
Old 11 May 2009, 03:10 (Ref:2459718)   #4
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Thanks for the feedback - yes I have wider interests than just racing & cars, just dealing with the problem of fitting it all in & not overdosing on museums!
Old 13 Jul 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2500860)   #5
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course the advantage of Donington is that you can combine it with a race meeting if you are lucky. I would also recommend the Haynes Manuals Motor Museum at Sparkford near Yeovil. If you are also interested in aviation then you could combine this with a trip to the Fleet Air Arm Museum at RNAS Yeovilton, about 2 miles away.

RAF Cosford is definately worth a look, especially the experimental aircraft section and (sorry, staying with Aviation, but Tanks as well) the Imperial war Museum at Duxford in Cambridgeshire is awesome. Can't think of a car museum nearby as well, though!
Old 13 Jul 2009, 22:40 (Ref:2501201)   #6
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Plus both Coventry and RAF Cosford are FREE!

Coventry do have some racing cars, they have (as of a fortnight ago) a T70, a Tyrell P34, a Chevron B16, a lotus something, a Jaguar F1, a Techno F2, a 206 WRC, a 205 wrc and a couple more.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 00:32 (Ref:2501264)   #7
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I would also recommend the Haynes Manuals Motor Museum at Sparkford near Yeovil. If you are also interested in aviation then you could combine this with a trip to the Fleet Air Arm Museum at RNAS Yeovilton, about 2 miles away.
The Haynes is operated by the publishers of the Haynes repair manuals. It has an interesting arrangement. In some of the rooms, there are only red cars, others have only blue ones. A few itinerant military vehicles were parked out front at the time of my visit in 2004. Click HERE for pix. Click on each of the pix for a full screen view.

Here are the pix from YEOVILTON.

Here are the pix from GAYDON.

The main reason for the trip was to marshal at the LMES Silverstone meet. See pix HERE.

Also visited were Abington on Thames & Oxford HERE and Bristol HERE.

Have a good trip and don't forget to write (and post pix). .
Old 21 Jul 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2505718)   #8
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
So far we have been to Beaulieu & the Haynes museum which were both quite good. Apart from the "red room" at Haynes the Deusenberg & V16 Cadillac were stunning. Beaulieu you can't go past the LSR cars plus a number of others. Planning to go to Brooklands also but that will probably be it.