Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 9 Jun 2023, 15:52 (Ref:4161066)   #1
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[WEC] Alpine Hypercar Discussion

I don't know if maybe I missed the thread, but is no one talking about the Alpine A424 LMDh that will debut next year?

Quite a good looking car, with design cuses (IMO) from the GR010, Caddy and Acura LMDh.

Mecachrome 3.4 Single Turbo V6

Quote:
Alpine has revealed its LMDh car that will debut in the FIA World Endurance Championship next year and confirmed that it will be powered by a Mecachrome V6 engine.
The Renault brand on Friday presented images and initial technical details of the Alpine A424_B which has been developed in conjunction with chassis partner ORECA.

Old 9 Jun 2023, 16:11 (Ref:4161074)   #2
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Was there an actual car unveiled? Or just these drawings?
Old 9 Jun 2023, 17:20 (Ref:4161085)   #3
Matador
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Was there an actual car unveiled? Or just these drawings?

I haven't been able to find any live pics up till now, so I assume it's just been these renders.
Old 9 Jun 2023, 17:34 (Ref:4161091)   #4
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't imagine much different since it's the Acura Oreca base and you can see a ton of it in the render.

Is this the first WEC/FIA LMDh over an IMSA program as well?
Old 9 Jun 2023, 17:36 (Ref:4161093)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Why have they specified “single turbo” is that significant?
Old 9 Jun 2023, 18:11 (Ref:4161100)   #6
Matador
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post

Mecachrome's F1 engine department thinks it's the best config. Isotta will run that setup as well.
Old 9 Jun 2023, 18:37 (Ref:4161106)   #7
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
I haven't been able to find any live pics up till now, so I assume it's just been these renders.
There was an actual car shown off. Looks much better too.
Old 9 Jun 2023, 18:44 (Ref:4161108)   #8
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Because their PR department felt they need to put emphasis on something that differs them from competition? That engine was terrible in LMP1 so I assume it's significantly upgraded compared to version that raced in 2018.
Old 9 Jun 2023, 19:05 (Ref:4161112)   #9
Matador
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
There was an actual car shown off. Looks much better too.

Nice. Got a link?
Old 9 Jun 2023, 20:00 (Ref:4161121)   #10
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcug View Post
Because their PR department felt they need to put emphasis on something that differs them from competition? That engine was terrible in LMP1 so I assume it's significantly upgraded compared to version that raced in 2018.
It uses the same turbo design as their F1 cars, meaning a dual-feed compressor that connects from each bank of cylinders rather than a connected pipe.

... but the thing is, looking at the rear facing image, there is a dual exhaust.

Hmmmm...
Old 9 Jun 2023, 20:46 (Ref:4161125)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I can't imagine much different since it's the Acura Oreca base and you can see a ton of it in the render.

Is this the first WEC/FIA LMDh over an IMSA program as well?
It is. You could consider Porsche was 50/50, I suppose.

I feel that this is a significant thing.
Old 9 Jun 2023, 22:07 (Ref:4161135)   #12
Matador
Racer

Can the forum embed videos?
Old 9 Jun 2023, 23:32 (Ref:4161137)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I assume twin turbos aren’t banned? If not why would you want just a single turbo?
Old 9 Jun 2023, 23:48 (Ref:4161138)   #14
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe the Acura, BMW and Lamborghini are all TT, V6 and 2V8s if I'm not mistaken

I was confused about contract engine in an LMDh with the announcement but guess I was under the impression LMDh required an engine from the manufacturer catalog. I guess the Acura ain't really coming from one of their cars so maybe not so much required

Last edited by broadrun96; 9 Jun 2023 at 23:53.
Old 10 Jun 2023, 01:40 (Ref:4161143)   #15
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully, Mecachrome does a better job than the last engine they put in a prototype...
Old 10 Jun 2023, 02:59 (Ref:4161149)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I assume twin turbos aren’t banned? If not why would you want just a single turbo?
The reason to have two turbos is to improve the response through the rev range.

A hybrid can do that and better. It’ll be easy for them to match the determined power through the rev range. Easy peasy.
Old 10 Jun 2023, 02:59 (Ref:4161150)   #17
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
No, but the link works. thanks!

This was the first I had seen this video, that is a car and not a render, but I do wonder if that is just a conceptual roller. Have to imagine there aren't working parts in there.
Old 10 Jun 2023, 13:36 (Ref:4161235)   #18
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They call it the A424 Beta, so it seems its still not the final version.
Old 27 Jun 2023, 15:17 (Ref:4165685)   #19
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, according to Sportscar365.com, Doornan has said that when Alpine gets homologation and reaches a commercial agreement with IMSA, the A424B could be eligible to run in the WeatherTech Sports car Championship.
It would be a great racing comparison to the Acura, since both have the Oreca chassis as basis. It would come down to the powertrain, Honda's V6 vs the Meccachrome(Renault) V6.
Old 27 Jun 2023, 16:08 (Ref:4165688)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Which will both have extremely similar power curves! It’s more likely the tyre pressures will be the differentiator.
Old 27 Jun 2023, 19:02 (Ref:4165706)   #21
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also aero differences (slight but cars probably won't be identical in that aspect), hybrid software, teams running the cars, maybe something else Alpine/Renault in IMSA is something I look forward to but until an official announcement is made, I'm a bit skeptical
Old 27 Jun 2023, 19:11 (Ref:4165709)   #22
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Mecachrome has got a long time experience of the V6 because they've been the official Renault supplier (refurbishing F1 engines). In spite of this, all did not go as a dream when it came to design their in house engines… Together with the tyre pressures it will be interesting to see the fuel management between the two engines.
Old 27 Jun 2023, 20:33 (Ref:4165714)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcug View Post
… hybrid software, …
Definitely this. While the power output will be the same, how you use this to influence the dynamics of the car is a really interesting area. Acura have really targeted this area.
Quote:
…teams running the cars, …
Definitely.
Quote:
maybe something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mecachrome has got a long time experience of the V6 because they've been the official Renault supplier (refurbishing F1 engines). In spite of this, all did not go as a dream when it came to design their in house engines… Together with the tyre pressures it will be interesting to see the fuel management between the two engines.
Tyre pressures.

Fuel management will be neutralized to a certain extent with the energy and pitstop rules. But in theory you can run on average lighter with better management. Depending on the weight given to you.
Old 27 Jun 2023, 21:23 (Ref:4165720)   #24
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I'm quite doubting alpine would run in IMSA. The manufacturer buy in doesn't really feel worth it for someone who sells no cars in North America. Could it be rebranded?
Old 28 Jun 2023, 00:00 (Ref:4165728)   #25
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Rebranded? Don't think so. The Camaro venue at LM was supported by FIA, ACO, NASCAR and IMSA if I'm correct, they must be following a global program. Funny enough, in the 60's Alpines were built not only in France but in Brasil (rebranded Interlagos), Bulgaria (Bulgaralpine), Mexico (Dinalpin) and Spain. As you suggest, I don't think the message "remember our international past" or "Tesla, here we are" will impress a north american consumer! Back to tyre pressures and real racing then?