Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Jun 2006, 22:18 (Ref:1634695)   #1
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you recall a Superkarter called Ian somebody who went straight into F3 in the mid 80s? I think he might have had sponsorship from the Post Office or suchlike. Then there was Giles Butterfield of GB racing fame. Super quick in ClassB in 85, then he partnered 10/10ths member Mark Galvin in 86 class A and dropped off the map. Resurfaced the next year trying to run his own show with an old Saab motor (what posssesed him?) and finally did VW F3 motors in the early 90s before taking Renault into Touring Cars with the 19.

Last edited by John Turner; 9 Jul 2006 at 09:46.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 05:40 (Ref:1634790)   #2
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Ian Khan?
Old 15 Jun 2006, 06:22 (Ref:1634799)   #3
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope, far more obscure.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1649096)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

I think it was Ian Shaw!
Old 7 Jul 2006, 11:42 (Ref:1650210)   #5
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani
I think it was Ian Shaw!
As in JAK Products? He had a Hawke DL12 originally IIRC, running mainly at the Midland tracks. Progressed to a PRS, then did some F3 I think with the Pilbeam in about 1981-82.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1650234)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
As in JAK Products? He had a Hawke DL12 originally IIRC, running mainly at the Midland tracks. Progressed to a PRS, then did some F3 I think with the Pilbeam in about 1981-82.

I think he is the Zip kart north man, so probably the same guy.
Old 8 Jul 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1650862)   #7
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
No that was a different Ian Shaw. I new him when he ran the PRS. He did do F3 but never had the money to do it properly. I think JAK Products was his fathers business.

The karting Ian Shaw came from the Manchester area although I'm not sure if he did F3. I used to see his van around the Trafford/Stretford area of Manchester occasionally.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1652065)   #8
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 'JAK' Ian Shaw's cars were always beautifully prepared as I recall. OTOH he was Derby-based, and a good runner, if not the quickest out there!
Old 10 Jul 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1652195)   #9
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he came from Long Eaton, so was a regular at Donington. He was run/helped by a guy called Rod Ross who had aspirations for a career in Motorsport and Rod ended up working for PRS itself, but I'm not sure where he went after that.

Ian was a really pleasant bloke, even though my girlfriend at the time took a liking to him! I first met him at Siverstone when he had the Hawke and considering it wasn't the most modern car of the period he prooved quite quick. Once in the PRS he was very good, although I don't think he won that many races, but he got fully involved with the big Silverstone slipstreamers that were so good to watch.

It's a pity that the F3 effort didn't work out and I haven't seen him since.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 17:36 (Ref:1657632)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yeah an Ian Shaw rings a bell from Class B F3 in '86/87 or sometime around that period - RT30?

Only remember him competing in one season though and showed quite good form.