Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 8 May 2014, 12:09 (Ref:3403749)   #1
Batch21
Rookie

Batch21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where to start....?

Good afternoon,

I'm sorry, I'm sure I'm going to be covering consistently regurgitated ground here but..

I have just turned 31 and have been desperate to start competing in motorsport for probably about 5-6 years now, I've always been a petrolhead at heart and it's always been a bit of a background desire...however financial circumstances have been restrictive up until now. However, I am now in a position (I think) to begin my pursuit of competing in some sort of motorsport activity.

I have been on 4-5 trackdays in various guises, Beginner Rally, Supercars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, R35 GTR)...have 'competed' in numerous karting days and Rage buggy racing etc...and I've been 'good' (don't want to get shot down straight away as being arrogant) in these semi competitive environments....which have obviously fueled my appetite..

I have done 'some' homework by reading guides on how to start and where to join etc etc.

But in reality I'm at a loss as to how to really start down the road.

I'm looking around and base cars to start the process but there are so many and really I want to try my hand at Rally, Track and Hillclimb/Sprint at some point.

Currently I'm looking for a car that could do all...but I think that's probably asking too much. So I want to start with Hillclimb/Sprint because at least I can start in the 'unmodified' classes to get a feeler.

Is it advisable to get a day-day car which could be used to test sprint/hillclimb first or just get a base, something small say Lupo/Arosa 1.4 and use it as a motorsport only base........or perhaps start on the middle ground with a Clio 172/182/Type-R or something...

Really in limbo at the moment, kind of feel like the engine is turning over but not quite firing up so to speak...

Any help/advice from people who have started up?

Oh, I'm in Birmingham if that helps....and I drive a Saab Diesel (not out of choice really) so I don't think I can start up with that...if that's the first idea...
Old 11 May 2014, 19:17 (Ref:3405083)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your thinking it right, but all comes down to personal circumstance. There's a diesel SAAB that competes down at Wiscombe!

You're in a good location for lots of venues. Do your research into the events you want to compete in, and then that should fine tune your car search. One tip, it takes a while to learn the venues so you need a car that you're comfortable with taking to the "edge".

I compete in a Panda 100HP that also does 20k miles a year on a long commute, it takes all sorts.
Old 27 May 2014, 18:03 (Ref:3411419)   #3
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Batch 21, I'm incidentally just starting too. I really want to race but as a start I'm going to sprint my Clio 172, starting at Castle Combe on 26th July. I bought the Clio with it in mind that it would be a fun track day weapon, but having driven Dan's Panda that's pretty fun too. Just go for it, but from personal experience I can recommend the Clio route, older ones are very reasonable now.

As an aside Dan also is trying to convince me that Hillclimbs are also a good idea, but I think those trees look a bit close for my liking.
Old 31 May 2014, 18:09 (Ref:3413280)   #4
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
As an aside Dan also is trying to convince me that Hillclimbs are also a good idea, but I think those trees look a bit close for my liking.
Massively pathetic!
Old 31 May 2014, 18:43 (Ref:3413293)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had a look at all this a few years back, and even on a standard basis its expensive with gear and entries.

I went away, bought a quad for 2 grand, pay about 20 quid to ride it once a month and have a ball, no hassle, no silly rules, no need to join a club.

Horses for courses of cours,e but there are cheap ways to compete in motorsport without joining the MSA
Old 1 Jun 2014, 20:50 (Ref:3413906)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
The reason why I sprint / hillclimb is that I don't have a spare 2 grand for a "toy". If i did, I'd be looking to race or go quicker up the hill. My road car can be used without any mods.

The biggest biggest cost is the race suit, although it's possible to get a bargain on ebay (mine was £100 and it still had the £340 price tag on it). Helmets aren't too expensive, and you need one whichever motorsport you do.. My club membership is a tenner and the MSA licence is about £40.

It takes all sorts, and the potential competition costs are why track days are so popular..
Old 1 Jun 2014, 21:49 (Ref:3413928)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is looking for, buying and fettling the car part of the attraction too? Or mainly just the driving? It might influence your priorities.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 16:20 (Ref:3418211)   #8
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hello First Timer!

I've bee hillclimbing for 22 years now on the Midland Hills but still remember my first steps.

My humble advice would be to do a school day at Loton Park or Prescott.

You must use a road car (even SAABs are ok so that is easy.
You can borrow a helmet there, cheap!
You do not need clothing.
You will need about £200.

You will have a lot of runs up two of the best hills available whichever you choose, others to chat too, and will come away with a decision.

I think you will like it....

You then need to be clear what you want.
NO motorsport under the MSA will be cheap, but this is all relative.

Say:

Mazda MX5 in decent condition = £1500.
Overalls and helmet = £500
Official stuff = £80 for memberships.

One day National B meetings are about £120 each to enter.
From Brum you only have fuel and burgers to cover the cost of, say £35.
You can use the car for other things.

If you have the basic budget to cover this list and a bit spare for 'car-troubles' you will have a great time and learn so much.

Try:

www.hdlcc.com

This is Loton's Club web site, and check the School dates etc.
Good luck with your thinking!

Then

JUST DO IT!