Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 20 Aug 2014, 09:14 (Ref:3445636)   #151
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
I think you entirely missed the boat on what Broadrun meant by "kill the track". I think he meant that NASCAR would ruin the track by requiring more run-off, higher catch fences, more garages (less paddock), etc. Basically they would take all the character right out of the facility.

The only way Road America got away with it, is because it's privately owned (THANK GOD).
I doubt, seriously, that he will have to worry about that. NASCAR, IMO has no plan to ever run a Sprint Cup race there. Nationwide (rumor going around that the new series sponsor will be Xfinity) ran a couple of races there, back in the 80s, there were no problems with crowds, at the time, the series (Busch, at that time) had just been formed up as a touring series) was not really big at that time and the crowds were within the limit of the track's infrastuctur. In the early, to mid-90s, when the Busch Series reached it's height, I doubt the infrastructure could have handled the crowds. Unfortunately, NASCAR screwed up, but turning this series into, basically a Sprint Cup Lite series. Now, the average race crowd for it, especially if it is run as a stand alone event, is back to about what it was in the 80s. There would be little trouble with handling the present day Nationwide Series crowd. I doubt that Nationwide will ever run here, again, either. Maybe a Truck Series race, down the road, but that is about all I see of NASCAR ever returning to this track.
Old 20 Aug 2014, 15:18 (Ref:3445724)   #152
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Standings after Mid-Ohio:

1. Chase Elliott - 3 wins, 9 top 5, 16 top 10
2. Regan Smith - 1 win, 5 top 5, 18 top 10
3. Elliott Sadler - 1 win, 5 top 5, 16 top 10
4. Ty Dillon - 1 win, 3 top 5, 15 top 10
5. Brian Scott - 4 top 5, 13 top 10
6. Trevor Bayne - 4 top 5, 16 top 10
7. Chris Buescher - 1 win, 3 top 5, 8 top 10
8. Brendan Gaughan - 1 win, 1 top 5, 4 top 10
9. Ryan Reed - 1 top 5
10. James Buescher - 1 top 10
Old 20 Aug 2014, 21:00 (Ref:3445818)   #153
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
I doubt, seriously, that he will have to worry about that. NASCAR, IMO has no plan to ever run a Sprint Cup race there. Nationwide (rumor going around that the new series sponsor will be Xfinity) ran a couple of races there, back in the 80s, there were no problems with crowds, at the time, the series (Busch, at that time) had just been formed up as a touring series) was not really big at that time and the crowds were within the limit of the track's infrastuctur. In the early, to mid-90s, when the Busch Series reached it's height, I doubt the infrastructure could have handled the crowds. Unfortunately, NASCAR screwed up, but turning this series into, basically a Sprint Cup Lite series. Now, the average race crowd for it, especially if it is run as a stand alone event, is back to about what it was in the 80s. There would be little trouble with handling the present day Nationwide Series crowd. I doubt that Nationwide will ever run here, again, either. Maybe a Truck Series race, down the road, but that is about all I see of NASCAR ever returning to this track.
Lee, there is a huge distrust of Nascar among road racing fans as they have a proven track record of mismanaging their road racing properties over the past 10-15 years. I think they have learned their lesson after they killed AMA and are taking a different approach to IMSA, but everyone is very hesitant.

That being said, it isn't stock cars that makes me concerned, it's race cars of the winged variety.

Infrastructure is not a problem as Petit Le Mans is the largest sporting event in the state. Until AMA's untimely demise, they held two events a year that draw more than AMS. Even today I think a Nationwide race would be the 3-4th most popular event there in a given year. RATL is the 2nd largest revenue producer for Hall County after the lake.
Old 7 Sep 2014, 20:32 (Ref:3451103)   #154
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Standings after Richmond:

1. Chase Elliott, 916
2. Regan Smith, 897
3. Ty Dillon, 874
4. Elliott Sadler, 862
5. Brian Scott, 859
6. Trevor Bayne, 832
7. Chris Buescher, 747
8. Brendan Gaughan, 720
9. Ryan Reed, 686
10. James Buescher, 671

Elliott has 3 wins and 12 top 5s, but Regan is just 19 points behind. It's because of his 37th finish at Charlotte 1 and 20th at Daytona 2.

Kyle Busch has 4 wins and 18 top 5s in 19 races.
Kevin Harvick has 3 wins and 10 top 5s in 12 races.
Kyle Larson has 2 wins and 11 top 5s in 21 races.
Matt Kenseth has 7 top 5s in 15 races.
Old 21 Sep 2014, 07:07 (Ref:3456220)   #155
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brendan Gaughan wins at Kentucky.

Nationwide Points...

Chase Elliott - 992
Regan Smith - 972
Ty Dillon - 954
Brian Scott - 937
Elliott Sadler - 931
Trevor Bayne - 900
Chris Buescher - 817
Brendan Gaughan - 798
Ryan Reed - 739
James Buescher - 727
Old 21 Sep 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3456345)   #156
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Congratulations Brendan!
Old 21 Sep 2014, 16:37 (Ref:3456350)   #157
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We could have those kind of finishes every race with out the
Busch Wackers !
Old 28 Sep 2014, 00:41 (Ref:3458227)   #158
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find myself holding my breath for Chase Elliott.
This is really amazing what he is doing. I knew he was
good when he would win a latemodel race when he was 14 or 15
but this is crazy. This has been a very enjoyable season
watching Nationwide except for the bushwackers.
Old 28 Sep 2014, 02:55 (Ref:3458244)   #159
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
I find myself holding my breath for Chase Elliott.
This is really amazing what he is doing. I knew he was
good when he would win a latemodel race when he was 14 or 15
but this is crazy. This has been a very enjoyable season
watching Nationwide except for the bushwackers.
We should be used to the Cup regulars mucking up the race meetings for the 2nd tier by now. I'm not either.

Chase has always been the best. It's in his blood, but it's somewhat surreal seeing him close to a championship in the "bigtime".
Old 29 Sep 2014, 01:27 (Ref:3458486)   #160
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
The improvements wouldn't kill the track, NASCAR (who owns this track, NOT ISC) has more than enough money to cover any track improvements needed. What it would kill would be the surrounding areas. The road (and other) improvements required for the surrounding areas around the track would result in an increase in taxes that would not be acceptable! I say this as a Hall County resident, the last thing I want is more taxes!
I've been away from the forum a bit until Petit brought me back as usual. I'd like to rebut by saying yes I 100% meant the actual track and the feel of it not the costs killing it. The costs could easily be absorbed by NASCAR and I think some of the improvements will be coming. Road Atlanta could become the Goodyear road course tire test track since teams have used it in the past since they couldn't test on tracks used in the series. New rules don't allow private testing but there will be official NASCAR and Goodyear testing on the course.

If you don't remember the testing wreck with Keselowski a few years back, let me remind you how many of the NASCAR related journalists called for a ban on testing at this UNSAFE track, and the idiot sportsguy on Fox5 going on for 5 min about how the track could ruin the season and testing should be banned on these small local courses. There were even some smaller teams that piled on claiming they couldn't road course test because Road Atlanta wasn't safe in their eyes with no paved run-off and no SAFER barriers, guessing a good excuse to skip because of money.

Plus apparently Cup cars ride too high for gravel traps to be effective as the cars the course was designed for run lower for the most part. Keselowski skipped right across it into the concrete blocks at Turn 1 when his brakes failed. That lead to whining about the concrete

AMS might have some back road access from Fayette county side, but even that is bigger than Winder Highway and Hall County would definitely be on the hook for that widening. And yes, that would be a tough nut to swallow and guessing it would not pass a vote but the county would pass it in a closed session or the try to get the state to foot it.

Haven't been to a Cup race at other tracks, remember buildings at AMS but not if they were garages; but there's no garage space at Road Atlanta in the main paddock. Can Cup/Nationwide teams run from their haulers or do they need garages? And 43 would fill the main paddock, racing and pitting in the support paddock is dicey as the exit is outside Turn 1. (Side not, that will be interesting to watch how they do it for Conti cars this week.)

On the fan side, how much would have to change on the camping side for the 'usual' fan base? Only area paved is turn 7-8 for RVs right now, although you can find the all over for Petit. Plus only stands on start finish and the seating at turn 10, but I haven't been to The Glen or Sonoma to compare their seating.

I just think the amount of things to be done to make Cup drivers and teams happy, or comfortable running, will change the trackside character. To me Turns 1 and 10A, and possibly 12, will develop paved runoff to keep guys running. It may not run all the way to the walls but even 3 feet outside the curbing will be driven over like The Glen. But I will admit, Cup or Nationwide I'll be there blowing my money on cars making lots of noise and turning dead dinos into sound, fumes and smoke.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 11:03 (Ref:3458541)   #161
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Plus only stands on start finish and the seating at turn 10, but I haven't been to The Glen or Sonoma to compare their seating.
Front straight stands are dangerous, especially for kids and senior citizens. That would be the first upgrade I would vote for. I have written to mgt and voiced my opinion with no reply.
Old 2 Nov 2014, 00:25 (Ref:3470619)   #162
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nationwide points with 2 rounds to go - Chase has it in the bag

Chase Elliott - 1146
Regan Smith - 1098
Brian Scott - 1083
Elliott Sadler - 1078
Ty Dillon - 1071
Trevor Bayne - 1017
Chris Buescher - 943
Brendan Gaughan - 903
Ryan Reed - 847
Dylan Kwasniewski - 813
Old 2 Nov 2014, 00:37 (Ref:3470621)   #163
canamman
Veteran

United States
Its still like a dream. He just graduated
high school in May!
Old 8 Nov 2014, 23:58 (Ref:3472951)   #164
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Congrats to Chase. The first of hopefully many championships for "THE kid".
Old 9 Nov 2014, 00:35 (Ref:3472972)   #165
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Well done Chase. He's a real hotshot. Lot's of bizarre fires in this race.

I just hope when he does arrive in Cup there's isn't too many naff puns from dizzy commentators about Chase not making/making "the Chase".
Old 16 Nov 2014, 16:43 (Ref:3475471)   #166
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Congratulations Chase Elliott. 2014 Nationwide Series Champion!