Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Oct 2016, 22:10 (Ref:3677105)   #76
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I think all the BMWs were just off the pace at Brands. Collard couldn't do his usual blast through the pack.

Shedden can pull out a performance from the top drawer at important times. Fair play to him.

I would have liked to have seen Tordoff win the championship, just because its good to see new clean drivers win. However, you cant argue that Sheddon did not deserve it. He drove a fine race there.
Old 4 Oct 2016, 07:12 (Ref:3677158)   #77
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone else feel Tordoff led the door way too open ? it's like he didn't really put up a fight

and the freak accident, looks like the MG went up in the air...

Last edited by porsche962fan; 4 Oct 2016 at 07:22.
Old 4 Oct 2016, 08:00 (Ref:3677166)   #78
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Yes, I think the MG 'climbed up' the back wheel of the Honda.
Old 4 Oct 2016, 09:58 (Ref:3677173)   #79
porsche962fan
Veteran

this is why super toures were so much better

the wheels were protected by real metal inside the body, not sticking outside of it covered by flimsy cardboard

https://racecarsdirect.com/content/U...433241.jpg?v=0
Old 4 Oct 2016, 18:49 (Ref:3677312)   #80
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
anyone else feel Tordoff led the door way too open ? it's like he didn't really put up a fight

and the freak accident, looks like the MG went up in the air...

What that first sequence does not show is just before that, Flash forced Sam to defend into clearways, thus meaning he had to go wide.

It's a shame Welch's spin meant it interrupted the flow and lost a lap, but could have been worse, would have been gutted to see the title decider finish under SC
Old 5 Oct 2016, 10:09 (Ref:3677453)   #81
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is such a cliche but titles are not lost at the last race but they can be won at the last race and it has been such a tight series that this was almost inevitable.

It was interesting that with 75kg Turkington could make little progress in the final race and all weekend the Honda seemed to have an edge on the BMW. Tordoff has had mixed luck, engine at Snetterton, gearbox at Silverstone come to mind but he has also had the "luck of the draw" on more than one occasion. He built his points position race by race and with such a close finish it made for an exciting race weekend,

Well done all in BTCC, thanks for a great season
Old 5 Oct 2016, 15:00 (Ref:3677545)   #82
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Tordoff has had mixed luck, engine at Snetterton, gearbox at Silverstone come to mind but he has also had the "luck of the draw" on more than one occasion. He built his points position race by race and with such a close finish it made for an exciting race weekend,
the Hondas had much more bad luck than him

the Thuxton fiasco on a track which Hondas like , Oulton wasn't that much better, both tire punctures at Silverstone race 1 which compromised their weekend
Old 5 Oct 2016, 15:48 (Ref:3677556)   #83
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
It was interesting that with 75kg Turkington could make little progress in the final race and all weekend t
must have been somthing more than the weight coz he went backwards from where he started on the grid. but with the same 75kg he won race two pretty easily.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 08:26 (Ref:3677767)   #84
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
the Hondas had much more bad luck than him

the Thuxton fiasco on a track which Hondas like , Oulton wasn't that much better, both tire punctures at Silverstone race 1 which compromised their weekend
To be fair the root cause of the "Thruxton fiasco" for Honda was less BAD LUCK and more BAD DRIVING from Matt Neal. HE was the one that went too hard too early and caused his own puncture, then HE was the one that attempted to drive across a fast pack of cars to get back to the pits as early as possible, ironically taking out his own team mate as result (then attempted to shift the blame on to the drivers coming through). Most other drivers would've just accepted their race was run and took another tour of the track (ie Rob Austin at Silverstone).

At the end of the day everyone encounters bad luck and good luck through the season and whoever ultimately wins the series fully deserves it in my opinion. Putting Tordoffs season down to pure luck is ridiculous, this is probably one of the most competitive championships in the whole of world motorsport. Just being the quickest won't win you it, there are so many other elements at play.

Sorry for the rant guys!
Old 6 Oct 2016, 11:21 (Ref:3677799)   #85
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
To be fair the root cause of the "Thruxton fiasco" for Honda was less BAD LUCK and more BAD DRIVING from Matt Neal. HE was the one that went too hard too early and caused his own puncture, then HE was the one that attempted to drive across a fast pack of cars to get back to the pits as early as possible, ironically taking out his own team mate as result (then attempted to shift the blame on to the drivers coming through). Most other drivers would've just accepted their race was run and took another tour of the track (ie Rob Austin at Silverstone).

At the end of the day everyone encounters bad luck and good luck through the season and whoever ultimately wins the series fully deserves it in my opinion. Putting Tordoffs season down to pure luck is ridiculous, this is probably one of the most competitive championships in the whole of world motorsport. Just being the quickest won't win you it, there are so many other elements at play.

Sorry for the rant guys!
Yep, and actually in some ways always being the fastest is a disadvantage as you carry more weight penalties and this directly effects your results over a weekend. The BTCC is really about just enough speed matched with consistency and keeping out of trouble in R1 but with a good result as otherwise that can be your weekend over.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 15:32 (Ref:3677863)   #86
Ry44
Racer

Ry44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Yep, and actually in some ways always being the fastest is a disadvantage as you carry more weight penalties and this directly effects your results over a weekend. The BTCC is really about just enough speed matched with consistency and keeping out of trouble in R1 but with a good result as otherwise that can be your weekend over.

"The BTCC is really about just enough speed matched with consistency and keeping out of trouble in R1 but with a good result as otherwise that can be your weekend over."

As Tingram proved as he had many strong race ones but very bad luck afterwards
Old 6 Oct 2016, 17:27 (Ref:3677886)   #87
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry44 View Post
"The BTCC is really about just enough speed matched with consistency and keeping out of trouble in R1 but with a good result as otherwise that can be your weekend over."

As Tingram proved as he had many strong race ones but very bad luck afterwards
More than bad luck, I'm afraid a lot of that was his own doing. He certainly got better as the season progressed but the damage had been done. Perhaps he could be an outsider for the Independents title next season though (provided the Avensis - the original NGTC car from 2010! - doesn't suddenly age)
Old 6 Oct 2016, 18:03 (Ref:3677895)   #88
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
this is why super toures were so much better

the wheels were protected by real metal inside the body, not sticking outside of it covered by flimsy cardboard

https://racecarsdirect.com/content/U...433241.jpg?v=0
Couldn't agree more! I'm not a fan of the wide-body kits that touring cars in nearly all series have adopted of late, but I'll save that for another day/thread!
Old 6 Oct 2016, 20:05 (Ref:3677924)   #89
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
More than bad luck, I'm afraid a lot of that was his own doing. He certainly got better as the season progressed but the damage had been done. Perhaps he could be an outsider for the Independents title next season though (provided the Avensis - the original NGTC car from 2010! - doesn't suddenly age)
Pretty sure that Avensis was new for 2015, then had RML parts bolted on over the winter between 2015 and 2016. Much lighter and a shorter wheelbase than the original NGTC car. Could be wrong though!

Agreed that a lot of his 'bad luck' at the beginning of the season was of his own doing. Certainly learned from that over the season and calmed his driving down to the point where he was scoring consistently throughout the day (2 good results and a decent one, as Tim Harvey would put it).
Again I agree he could well be in with a shout for the Independents title. Would be great to see that, seems like one of the nicest most enthusiastic drivers on the grid. Hope he comes back with a better livery next year though!
Old 7 Oct 2016, 09:53 (Ref:3678079)   #90
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
Pretty sure that Avensis was new for 2015, then had RML parts bolted on over the winter between 2015 and 2016. Much lighter and a shorter wheelbase than the original NGTC car. Could be wrong though!

Agreed that a lot of his 'bad luck' at the beginning of the season was of his own doing. Certainly learned from that over the season and calmed his driving down to the point where he was scoring consistently throughout the day (2 good results and a decent one, as Tim Harvey would put it).
Again I agree he could well be in with a shout for the Independents title. Would be great to see that, seems like one of the nicest most enthusiastic drivers on the grid. Hope he comes back with a better livery next year though!
Yep Speedworks' Toyota was new in 2015, had the RML kit put on last year, so should definitely still be competitive next year, the only current newer Toyota is Handy's though they did have another in build, though not sure how far towards being complete that one is. Out of the 'old' Toyotas it looks like the've had their final race as a Team HARD will be upgrading, so that's they ex-Lines/Wood car, the two ex-United Autosports cars (HARD only used 1 of them this year) & an ex-Speedworks machine. It would leave Welch's Proton as the oldest NGTC car running if they keep it (if my memory serves me correctly).
Old 7 Oct 2016, 13:14 (Ref:3678121)   #91
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Tingram's improving, he certainly has a good engineer in Geoff and overtime he'll find a balance of knowing when to fight and when to hold back
Old 7 Oct 2016, 13:18 (Ref:3678124)   #92
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
Yep Speedworks' Toyota was new in 2015, had the RML kit put on last year, so should definitely still be competitive next year, the only current newer Toyota is Handy's though they did have another in build, though not sure how far towards being complete that one is. Out of the 'old' Toyotas it looks like the've had their final race as a Team HARD will be upgrading, so that's they ex-Lines/Wood car, the two ex-United Autosports cars (HARD only used 1 of them this year) & an ex-Speedworks machine. It would leave Welch's Proton as the oldest NGTC car running if they keep it (if my memory serves me correctly).
Just being curious, do you know what chassis Motorbase has run this season? Are these their cars from 2013 with the oldest one from mid-2012 as backup or did they use younger chassis than that?
The MGs are also aging a bit aren't they. I'd assume the old Plato car has been shelfed. Being the one that's taken the most hits
Old 7 Oct 2016, 15:39 (Ref:3678151)   #93
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tja View Post
Just being curious, do you know what chassis Motorbase has run this season? Are these their cars from 2013 with the oldest one from mid-2012 as backup or did they use younger chassis than that?
The MGs are also aging a bit aren't they. I'd assume the old Plato car has been shelfed. Being the one that's taken the most hits
Not sure, I know Motorbase had a newer shell which was being readied for a 3rd car at some point (not recently of course). The two oldest chassis went to Parker/Dextra and AmD (then on to Maximum), I think but not sure (so someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the Maximum Motorsport (ex AmD) car is the oldest Ford, then the Dextra/Parker one.

Yeah the MG's are getting on by comparison to a lot of cars on the grid now! Heard that should change ahead of next year though...............................
Old 7 Oct 2016, 17:00 (Ref:3678172)   #94
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Sutton was driving Plato's old car, Cook in the Neate/Tordoff/Jordan car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
The two oldest chassis went to Parker/Dextra and AmD (then on to Maximum), I think but not sure (so someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the Maximum Motorsport (ex AmD) car is the oldest Ford, then the Dextra/Parker one.
Correct
Maximum have chassis 1 - Jackson 2012/13, AMD 2014/15
Dextra have chassis 2 - Smith 2013, Crabbies 2014

Jackson was in chassis 4, same car he has used since 2014
Jordan was in chassis 5, which is the one Cole drove 2015
Old 7 Oct 2016, 19:44 (Ref:3678221)   #95
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Sutton was driving Plato's old car, Cook in the Neate/Tordoff/Jordan car

Correct
Maximum have chassis 1 - Jackson 2012/13, AMD 2014/15
Dextra have chassis 2 - Smith 2013, Crabbies 2014

Jackson was in chassis 4, same car he has used since 2014
Jordan was in chassis 5, which is the one Cole drove 2015
Cheers Redshoes, I have tried keeping track of who's in what car & where they go, but the memory isn't always so good at recalling it, plus shuffling of cars after accidents can see changes than aren't always publicised.
Old 8 Oct 2016, 06:39 (Ref:3678338)   #96
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the information. Do you know why 888 isn't using the ex Hynes car? From memory that should be two years younger than the other two?
Old 8 Oct 2016, 07:02 (Ref:3678343)   #97
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for the information. Do you know why 888 isn't using the ex Hynes car? From memory that should be two years younger than the other two?
I might be wrong, but I got the impression the chassis belongs to Hynes himself and is presumably in storage somewhere?!
Old 8 Oct 2016, 07:53 (Ref:3678353)   #98
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
I might be wrong, but I got the impression the chassis belongs to Hynes himself and is presumably in storage somewhere?!
Yep the car belonged to Hynes, it was up for sale a year or so ago (maybe 2), not sure if anyone ever purchased it though!